Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

American Muscle Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/12, 02:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the Steeda Tri-Axom SS in my 07. When first starting the car up it's sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to put it in reverse or 1st gear but after a little love it finally pops in. I have gotten compliments from all that have driven my car on how awesome the clutch is (IE short shifter ). The car came to me with it already installed so I don't have comparisons. I would suggest trying a Mustang Club in your area and see what people think if they have gone with Steeda or someone else. I have heard great things about many other brands so I can only tell you my experience.
Old 1/12/12, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Just ordered AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket.
That's awesome! Be sure to report back when you get everything installed and let us know what you think!

That combo is a great option and everybody that's picked one up with an aftermarket bracket has been really happy, just check out the reviews!

Reviews of AmericanMuscle Short Throw Shifter - Free Shipping!

For the month of January, this shifter's only $135 bucks and you can even use the forums discount on top of that. That's only like $127 bucks shipped anywhere in the country! Just hit me up with a PM and I can hook you up!
Old 1/14/12, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

IF you had to choose one.....
Whats more noticeable/beneficial.... the upgraded bracket or the shifter?
Old 1/14/12, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bracket.
Old 1/16/12, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Bracket.
Ok, thx....just ordered the Steeda bracket!
Old 1/16/12, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Shifter and bracket should be delivered today. Not sure when I can install. I still have CS valance and Subwoofer to get installed.
Old 1/16/12, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shifter and bracket should be delivered today. Not sure when I can install. I still have CS valance and Subwoofer to get installed.
Cool! Keep us informed on the details of the install and ur thoughts on the shifter
Old 1/16/12, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Uin2it

Ok, thx....just ordered the Steeda bracket!
Good idea. You won't be disappointed.
Old 1/16/12, 01:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
You made a great purchase with the Steeda bracket, should help out tremendously.

After you drive around with it for a couple days make sure you let us know how it is!

Thanks

TJ
Old 1/16/12, 01:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Here is the link in case anyone else is interested in replacing their OE shifter base bushing.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-...e-bushing.html

Last edited by tj@steeda; 1/16/12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 1/26/12, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Here is an update. Ford took care of the fluid change under the TSB. That reduced my shift issue going into second gear when car is cold in the morning. Then I had installed the Steeda Tri Ax short throw shifter, this changed the feel of the shifter. It felt the car was still a little sloppy when shifting though but defintely an improvement, the throw is reduced, not huge but it is reduced (1/4 to 3/8 inch).
So I ordered the Bracket and Bushing from Steeda also. I installed it last night with the red bushing, the change in the shift feel is phenomenal. I like it how it feels solid and sure. Its like getting crispy chicken and then trying extra crispy chicken. Feels and tastes great.......

I am happy with the changes. Now the next mod is the GT500 exhaust system over the next few months.
Old 1/26/12, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I should finally be installing my AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket this weekend. No rain in the forecast and no other plans on the calendar except for installing my Roush front Springs as well. I also plan on going with the RED bushing.

Last edited by dmhines; 1/26/12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 1/26/12, 05:48 PM
GT Member

I should finally be installing my AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket this weekend. No rain in the forecast and no other plans on the calendar except for installing my Roush front Springs as well. I also plan on going with the RED bushing.
I think you will enjoy it.
Old 1/26/12, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

DMHines looking forward to hearing about your experience. AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket are on their way to me and will go in next weekend (2/4/12).
Old 1/27/12, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
DMHines looking forward to hearing about your experience. AM Shifter and Steeda Bracket are on their way to me and will go in next weekend (2/4/12).
I have both of these on mine. And love them. Once installed. Give it a while and a good ride and let it settle in. I really noticed a difference a few days later
Old 1/28/12, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Finally ... shifter and bracket installed. It was very easy .. considering that I installed a set of Roush Front springs prior to installing the shifter ...it was really simple compared to the springs!! LOL

Its almost comical how cheap and cheesy the factory shifter and bracket are ... Thank you Ford bean Counters ....

My best description of new shift feeling is based on my past experience with my 2010. I would say it feels someplace between the factory TR3650 shifter and the ROUSH shifter I had installed. ROUSH is very notchy and very short throw .. it takes a little extra effort to shift but there is now doubt you are in the gear you want to be in.

The AM Shifter / Steeda Bracket gives a nice middle ground shift experience. It is notchy enough to know what gear you are in but still smooth enough to be able to shift without thinking about it. There is almost no play in the shifter what so ever ... the typical "am I in neutral Gear shift wobble" technique is almost nonexistent. The first couple of 3rd gear shifts were a little sketchy but everything broke in fast and it is now perfect.

I DID NOT install the included spring that came with the AM shifter. So it does take a little force to get it OUT of reverse. Maybe I should have swapped springs but it seems to be getting easier already. Reverse lockout is now metal to metal contact so I am sure it will wear down and smooth itself out.

There is not too much throw difference compared to stock shifter. I seems 1/3/5 are shorter than 2/4/6 ....

What I noticed right away is that many times I would accidentally hit 3rd instead of 1st when I came out of reverse ... I don't seem to have the problem any longer.

I am definitely happy with my purchase and the entire setup was around $200 .... PS .. used the RED bushing - very very little extra vibration .. only noticeable at high RPM ...

Last edited by dmhines; 1/28/12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 1/28/12, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased the JHR Bracket and clutch line Friday and will be installing them after I get home from work next week. I decided to go with the bracket first and the JHR because of price and to help the "little guy". I'm more than likely going to get a Steeda Tri-Ax and Intake later so Steeda will get some money from me eventually. Though I will also be watching this thread carefully since the AM shifter is definitely more in my price range. If anyone wants me to review the JHR bracket/clutch line as well just let me know.
Old 1/28/12, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I already purchased the Steeda shifter bracket but still need to install it. I figure I will install the firmer black bushing to handle my spirited shifts. Also, it's easier to switch from the black to the red, if necessary.
Old 1/28/12, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The red bushing was tough to get on since there is no slit. Not sure if that means hard to get off too.
Old 1/29/12, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks White5ohh and dmhines for the posts. I will do my install next weekend and can't wait to feel the improvements. Did you install the spring White5ohh? Figure it must be there for a reason. Why would you want to leave it out?

Quick Reply: American Muscle Short Throw Shifter