5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

All the CAI/Tune talk about #8 has left me in a pickle!

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/13, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the CAI/Tune talk about #8 has left me in a pickle!

I never gave much thought in Not installing my cai and tune for my '14 GT. But dang it, after reading this whole bombing the engine for running too lean makes me pause. I wish someone, somewhere had a break down of what or whose tune has caused these issues. didn't they (ford) somewhat fix this issue on the 2013 GT with #8.

I know, I know. God, not another tune thread. I guess I just need to nuttt up or shut up and either install the tune and cai or just sell the cai and tuner.

Last edited by woodzusa; 8/19/13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 8/19/13, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the earlier versions of the 5.0's that had this issue? Like a build date from April 2011 and prior? Somewhere in that range I feel like I've read somewhere is where the issues had occurred.
Old 8/19/13, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have a 12(post april 11 build) that melted #8...

OP, the "lean" condition isn't from any "tuner" other then ford

Ford wrote a faulty tune in the car and that's how they broke, they used the "oh you have a tune" as a escape route. There has been several proven cases of STOCK tuned 5.0's running lean at WOT.

I don't know if the issue was addressed in the 13's and up.
Old 8/19/13, 08:55 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You can PM a mod and have them delete this thread. Stop spreading this BS, install it, and move on.
Old 8/19/13, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodzusa
I never gave much thought in Not installing my cai and tune for my '14 GT. But dang it, after reading this whole bombing the engine for running too lean makes me pause. I wish someone, somewhere had a break down of what or whose tune has caused these issues. didn't they (ford) somewhat fix this issue on the 2013 GT with #8.

I know, I know. God, not another tune thread. I guess I just need to nuttt up or shut up and either install the tune and cai or just sell the cai and tuner.
Hey bro. You can breath, get your performance tuner and load them up. All is good. I'll break it down for you. The #8 piston issue was tunes from bama and that was back in late 2010 year on the early 2011 5.0's. The tune from AM was causing an issue with the #8 piston. AM figured out the issue with the tune years ago. That #8 piston issue is no longer an issue. There is no more problems with it. I haven't heard of one #8 piston issue in over 2 1/2 years. You never hear of issues with tunes from AM, MPT, Steeda, Lund, VMP. Tunes are like 99 % safe.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/19/13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 8/19/13, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Hey bro. You can breath, get your performance tuner and load them up. All is good. I'll break it down for you. The #8 piston issue was tunes from bama and that was back in late 2010 year on the early 2011 5.0's. The tune from AM was causing an issue with the #8 piston. AM figured out the issue with the tune years ago. That #8 piston issue is no longer an issue. There is no more problems with it.
Wrong.

Granted Bama may have had a issue the #8 problem was in the stock tune the car reverting to stoiche at WOT.

I had a BONE stock car, no tune and it melted the piston. The problem wasn't just in "tune" cars but it was easy for Ford to hang a hat on and say so.

And I also remember Lund cooked alot of motors early on.

*EDIT*

Read.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...le-better.html

Last edited by slostang; 8/19/13 at 09:11 PM.
Old 8/19/13, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You can PM a mod and have them delete this thread. Stop spreading this BS, install it, and move on.
Spreading what? I'm just asking a question. I moved up from a v6 where this is not and has not been an issue.
Another thread of mine got sidetracked in a warranty vs tune thread which lead to the #8 thing. After searching myself, I was not able to locate any newer mustangs that have experienced this. I realize this has probably been discussed over and over in these threads. But I was not certain if this issue has presented itself in the 2013 + models.

But thanks for the response
And yes, the cai and tune is getting installed tomorrow.
Old 8/19/13, 09:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
Wrong.

Granted Bama may have had a issue the #8 problem was in the stock tune the car reverting to stoiche at WOT.

I had a BONE stock car, no tune and it melted the piston. The problem wasn't just in "tune" cars but it was easy for Ford to hang a hat on and say so.

*EDIT*

Read.

I started going on this Forum back in November 2011 , around during my new time here I recall only seeing threads about AM and #8 piston back from late 2010 and early 2011. I don't know about Lund cooking engines early on but that issue is a thing of the past. I haven't seen one recent post in years about a # 8 piston issue and certainly not with AM. AM even provides a #8 warranty issue. What #8 piston issues are people still having currently?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/19/13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 8/19/13, 09:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa
Spreading what? I'm just asking a question. I moved up from a v6 where this is not and has not been an issue.
Another thread of mine got sidetracked in a warranty vs tune thread which lead to the #8 thing. After searching myself, I was not able to locate any newer mustangs that have experienced this. I realize this has probably been discussed over and over in these threads. But I was not certain if this issue has presented itself in the 2013 + models.

But thanks for the response
And yes, the cai and tune is getting installed tomorrow.
From my time being on this particular forum and other mustang forums the # 8 piston issue was on the new 11 5.0's which was a learning curve because of the new engine. There was never any issues with the v6 tune just the v8 tune. That # 8 piston issue has been long solved and the tuning companies got it down to an exact science. Think about it. If all these tuning companies were blowing up engines why don't we hear about it. Go do a Google search about that and nothing . Zip. If there were all these tunning nightmares we would hear about it all over these different forums. You don't hear boo about it and that's because tunes are safe. No way would thousands of us on here get tunes if they were blowing up engines and transmissions.

Everything and anything about mustangs are discussed on the various mustang forums. If all these tunes whether its Bama , Lund, Steeda , MPT, VMP, performance evaluation, Dyno tunes , etc were causing damage to all these cars, why don't you read about it. Why isn't there daily stories of mustang and other car engines blowing up because of tunes. Besides mustangs, how many other cars like Camaro, Charger, Challenger are also getting performance tunes and yet you don't hear stories about there engines blowing up. MPT told me they do over 1000 tunes weekly and yet look on the internet and can't find anything bad about there tunes. How many thousands of tunes yearly does AM do and yet , no reports of engines blowing up.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/19/13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 8/20/13, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It was more timing related than it was engine going lean.

Every tuner (all of them) start from a Base file which SCT provides. From the get go it is allowing for way too much timing to occur. (a possible 36 degrees, thats 14 more than stock tune will allow) I'm sure most of the Major tuners just reduced the amount of timing the knock sensors could add, and changed Retard Rate.

I could elaborate if need be.

-Matt
Old 8/20/13, 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Im pretty sure the max most tuners set the timing at is 27. Most are around 24 peak. Plus i think afr was around 13.0 and most are setting it no more than 12.5 now.
Old 8/20/13, 06:36 AM
Len
GT Member

Wrong.

*EDIT*

Read.

If your car had never been tuned I assume the pcm reflected that. What was Ford's reason for denying a fix under warranty?
Old 8/20/13, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Im pretty sure the max most tuners set the timing at is 27. Most are around 24 peak. Plus i think afr was around 13.0 and most are setting it no more than 12.5 now.
Thats agreeable. I'm not sure what each specific tuner is doing. But, I am sure they have all veered away from the SCT base tune

Thats why there was soo much issue in the beginning, everyone was loading the base SCT cal, and making small adjustments, then shipping it with timing tables in place.

-Matt
Old 8/20/13, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda has had 0 issues with the #8 on the older motors and even on the newer motors. You will have no issues if you purchase a CAI & Tune from Steeda ... 0.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions off-line at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/20/13, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Len
If your car had never been tuned I assume the pcm reflected that. What was Ford's reason for denying a fix under warranty?
My car was in and out in 8 days, 100% covered.
Old 8/20/13, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I should also add to the convo. Ford took out some timing in a later calibration for some Mustangs to help prevent this issue on 100% STOCK. For example compare ZFK0 vs ZFK1

-Matt
Old 8/20/13, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Steeda has had 0 issues with the #8 on the older motors and even on the newer motors. You will have no issues if you purchase a CAI & Tune from Steeda ... 0.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions off-line at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Exactly my point good sir.
Old 8/20/13, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP, I have probably 120 passes with foot to the floor at the track in my 11 GT with a Bama Tune and JLT CAI with no issues whatsoever. I've done the "experiments" for you and I'm confident the tunes are very safe.
Old 8/21/13, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Could always get the MMR head cooling mod to help, same as the Evan's cooling mod for the 4.6's.
Old 8/21/13, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Hey bro. You can breath, get your performance tuner and load them up. All is good. I'll break it down for you. The #8 piston issue was tunes from bama and that was back in late 2010 year on the early 2011 5.0's. The tune from AM was causing an issue with the #8 piston. AM figured out the issue with the tune years ago. That #8 piston issue is no longer an issue. There is no more problems with it. I haven't heard of one #8 piston issue in over 2 1/2 years. You never hear of issues with tunes from AM, MPT, Steeda, Lund, VMP. Tunes are like 99 % safe.
Wrong.

*EDIT*

Read.

Right. Brenspeed cooked some motors too and wouldn't stand behind them. Couple of threads here about that.
Bama was the only one I know of that developed a 'warranty'.

Well I have a 12(post april 11 build) that melted #8...

OP, the "lean" condition isn't from any "tuner" other then ford

Ford wrote a faulty tune in the car and that's how they broke, they used the "oh you have a tune" as a escape route. There has been several proven cases of STOCK tuned 5.0's running lean at WOT.

I don't know if the issue was addressed in the 13's and up.

The 11's & 12's were the years with the issue. Ford redesigned the pistons for '13. Coatings, different oil control, squirter delete (not needed after redesign).

https://themustangsource.com/f800/confirmed-2013s-have-different-pistons-no-oil-squirters-506361/index4/#post6280407

Quick Reply: All the CAI/Tune talk about #8 has left me in a pickle!