Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Airaid Fix for 2013 CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/12, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We addressed this issue before selling any 2013 kits because we have identified it as a problem. If you look under the hood of a 2013 GT you will not only see the vents but there is a channel that catches water made into the hood blanket and directs any water from front to back of the vents to the front which is right on top of the air filter.

So now we have two manufacturers addressing this issue, how much water does it take to mess something up? Who wants to own the car that finds out??

I'd rather get the right kit to start with and not have ANY worries, this is why we at C&L Performance did it right the first time.

Thanks, Doug
Old 10/12/12, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SHOSKER
As for flow of the Airaid being reduced, the top of the airbox is supposed to seal against the hood. I would think the hot air trying to escape thru the vents could have been drawn in by the filter. However, I've been watching my intake temps on the dash and they don't seem to climb much.
I think the previous poster was alluding to the fact that most of the filter media is now covered up. The air will still be the same temperature, it just won't be able to flow as much. The primary advantage aftermarket CAI's have is increased CFM as shown in detail on the C&L website. At least from the picture it looks as though the Airaid shield is close enough to the filter to significantly impede air entry.
Old 10/13/12, 09:03 AM

I'd love to hear from Airaid regarding flow.
Old 10/14/12, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
It has been several months since Dario Orlando has been driving his personal 2013 Mustang GT and he has had no issues. We will be the first to tell you when his car has issues ... so far no issues with rain, car washes, or driving through puddles.

We have listened to the consumers, done the testing, re-done the testing, and we see no reason to change the design of our CAI.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10/14/12, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't drive in the rain. I haven't noticed anything more then a drop or two on the cai after a wash.
I don't see any risk of water entering the intake unless the entire air box was submerged, if that happens you'll have bigger problems then a wet air filter. Even if the filter became wet it is only going to seem to the ecu like its bringing in humid air. If you were truly worried about water build up drill a small hole in the bottom of airbox housing.
On a side note that shield over the air raid piece won't impede airflow because without that shield the bottom side of the hood would be in the same place anyways..
Old 10/15/12, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Just Called Airraid and they are sending all the stuff to me for free!
Old 10/15/12, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by going for broke
I don't drive in the rain. I haven't noticed anything more then a drop or two on the cai after a wash.
I don't see any risk of water entering the intake unless the entire air box was submerged, if that happens you'll have bigger problems then a wet air filter. Even if the filter became wet it is only going to seem to the ecu like its bringing in humid air. If you were truly worried about water build up drill a small hole in the bottom of airbox housing.
On a side note that shield over the air raid piece won't impede airflow because without that shield the bottom side of the hood would be in the same place anyways..
Maybe AirRaid should now send them out with the holes already drilled.
Old 12/4/20, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ok this is an old thread but i too am having the issue of the airaid CAI on my car, called American Muscle their only solution was to buy a new CAI or buy a new hood(not an appropriate solution in my opinion as i just bought the CAI in june and took it off in November as i don't drive it alot the filter was saturated with water that drips down onto it from the heat extractors in the hood on my '14 GT but i called Airaid this afternoon and these so called shields you are getting for free DO NOT Exist in their inventory for my CAI but they did say that the only option they had was to put a Airaid Sock over the filter to keep water off of it for 52.99, I told them that i had put the stock airbox back onto the car for the winter and i would look into it in the spring as the car is put away for the winter now,so Every Performance part i ordered from American Muscle has been taken off and stock parts put back on this was a complete waste of money.

CAI W/programmer installed for 4 months and car reverted back to stock
Flowmaster Outlaw cat-back exhaust put on for 1 month and sported a noise violation ticket and complaints from neighbors stock exhaust put back on

so now the car is back to stock and soon to be up for sale due to Covid-19 but it is what it is next owner will get a good deal when/if it sells
first i need to get the keys out of my trunk as i set them down and accidentally closed the trunk lid and no i can't just fold the seat down as it's a convertible and the doors are locked