Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

The #8, and why it failed. An inside look.

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/14, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The groove between the top and second ring is known as an “accumulator groove”. The theory is that it acts like a “pressure accumulator” and dampens the impulse load imparted on the second and third rings by combustion pressure spikes. It basically helps to stabilize and keep those rings seated with more even pressure. Does it work? I don’t know. I know such features on other pistons are great at collecting carbon…

For what it’s worth I don’t think the #8 issues had anything to do with oil squirters one way or another. It could be #8 is more prone to detonation for any number of reasons. To be a gamer, let’s say it is and what Ford learned was their pistons didn’t like detonation. Among a multi-headed approach to fix the issue is the accumulator groove in the piston. A closer look at software programming and other things that make one cylinder run hotter than another leaving it more prone to detonation.

As to why Ford removed the piston squirters, it was most likely for cost Savings. Engineering most likely determined they were not necessary based on fleet data and made piston design changes, changed calibration, etc. so the engine would live fine without them. Running changes like these are not uncommon. Where I work if we suspect there could be an issue with a part or assembly and we can toss some belts and suspenders at it for a reasonable cost until we’re sure, we do it. Over time as we gain more confidence that issues will not arise, we remove the additional safety nets one at a time.

Most often oil squirters are used for cooling the piston, not for lubrication. The cylinder walls and wrist pins get ample oil windage off the crank and rods to supply them with more than a plentiful amount of lube (Sometimes way, way too much!). Fact is the oil squirters were probably causing significant parasitic power loss because of increased windage drag.

Regards,
John
Old 4/29/14, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

~~~~
Old 4/29/14, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
For what it’s worth I don’t think the #8 issues had anything to do with oil squirters one way or another. It could be #8 is more prone to detonation for any number of reasons. To be a gamer, let’s say it is and what Ford learned was their pistons didn't like detonation. Among a multi-headed approach to fix the issue is the accumulator groove in the piston. A closer look at software programming and other things that make one cylinder run hotter than another leaving it more prone to detonation.

As to why Ford removed the piston squirters, it was most likely for cost Savings.
Where is the bloody like button.

-Matt
Old 4/29/14, 07:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The groove between the top and second ring is known as an “accumulator groove”. The theory is that it acts like a “pressure accumulator” and dampens the impulse load imparted on the second and third rings by combustion pressure spikes. It basically helps to stabilize and keep those rings seated with more even pressure. Does it work? I don’t know. I know such features on other pistons are great at collecting carbon…

Fact is the oil squirters were probably causing significant parasitic power loss because of increased windage drag.

Regards,
John
A) Interesting...

B) I must not understand 'windage' drag. To me it sounds like something attached to the rotating mass, and therefore adds weight, causing a drag.
Yet the squirters are mounted to the block as noted. So how does their squirting oil cause windage drag?

Thanx for the good info.
Old 4/30/14, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The excess oil is what is causing the drag.
Old 4/30/14, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
A) Interesting...

B) I must not understand 'windage' drag. To me it sounds like something attached to the rotating mass, and therefore adds weight, causing a drag.
Yet the squirters are mounted to the block as noted. So how does their squirting oil cause windage drag?

Thanx for the good info.
In this case “windage” is free floating oil (Drops or splash) impacting, primarily the crankshaft. In the Coyote source oil is throw off from the main and rod journals, and when the engine had oil jets pointed at the bottom of the pistons, from them as well.. If you’re driving real hard and the pan isn’t well designed to hold the oil in it, waves of splash oil can contact the crank as well. Don’t kid yourself, it can really add up to a quite a bit of lost power. My gut tells me that’s primarily where Ford found the additional 8hp between the ’12 model year and the ’13. When you’re building a well-engineered, well thought out race engine, one of the first things you look for is “free” horsepower. Reducing any kind of internal parasitic loss is always a big focus. Common for oil control are scrapers, windage pans/screens, dry sumps oil systems and more all work well at controlling and reducing windage in the crankcase. Engineering of production engines is getting much more in tuned with this line of thought as well since parasitic loss is after all, lost efficiency. That’s where somebodies Obama (God I hate to even utter that name) comment comes into play!

Regards,
John
Old 5/1/14, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

That’s where somebodies Obama (God I hate to even utter that name) comment comes into play!
I think you and me could become good friends. lol

Cheers
-Matt
Old 5/2/14, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info zeroaviation, thank you for posting.

I've been learning how to tune my car with SCT over the past few weeks. Those who know the tunes on these 2011+ cars are quite resilient to share any information, so descriptions like this are very helpful. I've figured out a lot of stuff in the tune already, but most of it has been trial and error. A good database of tuning information would benefit everyone.
Old 5/2/14, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
I think you and me could become good friends. lol

Cheers
-Matt
Old 5/2/14, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tvanlant
Great info zeroaviation, thank you for posting.

I've been learning how to tune my car with SCT over the past few weeks. Those who know the tunes on these 2011+ cars are quite resilient to share any information, so descriptions like this are very helpful. I've figured out a lot of stuff in the tune already, but most of it has been trial and error. A good database of tuning information would benefit everyone.
2011+ are fun cars to tune for sure. The changes in how things are computer is amazing, and allow great granularity.

If you have any questions be sure to ask! I will do my best to answer.

-Matt