5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

5.0 "Build" thread

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/14, 12:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll state right from the beginning; I'm only a young guy with no track experience on my mustang. But I do have stock car track experience/license.

I'm looking to take some areas that we all feel the 5.0 could use improvements on and apply them to my car. I probably could have saved a lot of time by getting a boss 302, but they don't make it for year 2014. All parts have been sourced/found on American Muscle. No real reason, except that it's all in one place. Easy to find on my iPhone

Engine Cooling:
1) Ford Racing Heavy Duty Engine Oil Cooler Kit
2) Ford Racing Aluminium Radiator
3) Ford Racing SVT Preformance Cooling Fan

Driveline Components:
1) MGW Short Throw Shifter
2) SR Performance Stainless Steel Clutch Line
3) New Fluid
4) One-piece Aluminium Driveshaft

Brakes:
1) Hawk Performance Ceramic Front/Rear Pads
2) Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Undercarriage:
Ford Racing Boss 302 Racing Oil Pan

Misc: JLT Driver/Passenger Oil Separator

I'm hoping these will all enhance drive-ability.
The only 2 things I'd like opinions on:

Ford Racing Boss 302 Oil Pan - $1200
http://m.americanmuscle.com/frpp-bos...an-1114gt.html
VS
Ford Racing Boss 302 Oil Pan - $120
http://m.americanmuscle.com/frpp-bos...an-1112gt.html

Ford Racing Heavy Duty Engine Oil Cooler Kit
-$1125
http://m.americanmuscle.com/frpp-bos...oler-1113.html
VS
Ford Racing Boss Engine Oil Cooler - $140
http://m.americanmuscle.com/frpp-bos...oler-1112.html

By getting the cheaper versions of the oil pan and the boss engine oil cooler, I can save $2000.

I'm not building a dedicated track car, as I do like my warranty (for now)
But I just love that extra reliability.

The more seasoned builders on here: what's your professional opinion? I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. But I have a feeling "you get what you pay for" applies here.

Any other add-ons let me know!

Last edited by Moejoe_989; 6/30/14 at 12:56 AM.
Old 6/30/14, 07:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Moejoe- That's a solid list here! I would have to ask how often you're going to be tracking the car? Furthermore if you don't have our discount code shoot me a PM so I can get you set up!

Alex
Old 7/4/14, 06:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Track Pack came with all that Ford stuff and a bunch of other stuff for less than the cost of all of that after shipping and install. And the warranty to make it sweeter. Good luck. I would worry about keeping the brakes cool, suspension upgrades, and a driver mod. Autocross is your friend.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 7/4/14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 7/4/14, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
The Track Pack came with all that Ford stuff and a bunch of other stuff for less than the cost of all of that after shipping and install. And the warranty to make it sweeter. Good luck. I would worry about keeping the brakes cool, suspension upgrades, and a driver mod. Autocross is your friend.
I am most definitely thinking about: racing seats and harness, koni adjustables, and better pads with brake cooling ducts.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

I wish I had the track pack
Old 7/5/14, 03:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give us a call, we can set you up with a good suspension setup. For the oil pans, stick with stock. Unless you have a dedicated track car that competes in races longer than 45 minutes and you don't have a power adder the stock one is going to work just fine.
The clutch line is a good addition as is the One piece Driveshaft.
Stick with the Boss engine oil cooler kit or the one from Mishimoto.

I do like what you picked out though, you're all about engine safety... not many really think about that, kudos to you.

We have the Russell lines and Hawk HPS pads on one of our coyote cars, they do pretty good. The Russell lines are great, if you want to race your car... ALOT I'd suggest getting a dedicated set of rotors and pads... at least for the front. Once you do a long track day or one time trial you'll realize the HPS or the ceramics will crumble under a lot of heat. HP+ is a little better and that's what I run on the Boss for a street setup but be prepared to get looked at funny, they're very, very loud.

For the brakes, don't forget to add DOT 4 fluid for a higher boiling point.

I don't know what you have for tires but if you plan on running your car at all on the track I'd highly suggest a good set of tires, I think people forget that there are only 4 patches that grip a car to the ground, wise to make the best of it.

Also, with your experience in the stock car area you're going to experience heavy... HEAVY body roll with the stock suspension. I race open wheel cars and even with my AST suspension the body roll is crazy comparatively speaking.

I'd first take your car out on the track in stock form, see what it can do and find the deficiencies there. Keep track of your oil temps, watch your body roll, transitional movements with your suspension, pay attention to your brake fad (which will be quick) and see how the tires hold up. Again, tires are key. No reason to spend a lot on cooling or suspension if you have tires that don't grip or most importantly, lose all grip after 2-3 laps.

Building a car is all about balance which I'm sure you're aware of. Tracking a car is expensive too, regardless if its just open track days (which range from 100-400 a day) or if you are actually racing for a prize or points.

Again, let me know if we can help you out. We're not bias of any one brand, we just know what works well with other parts. Thanks!

Last edited by Jay@Hypermotive; 7/5/14 at 03:31 AM.