Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

3.15-3.73 gears

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 04:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys that are telling him to change out the 3.15s do not understand the gearing of the 6r80 transmission. The first 2 gears almost equate to the 3.73 manuals. If anything, tune the car and get a stall converter. You will then have a consistent low 11 second car on those 2 mods alone (running drag radials). No manual car can compete with that regardless of driver.The autos are perfect from the factory with their gearing. They're bulletproof , extremely fast and consistent.
Old 2/26/13, 09:52 AM
GT Member

I think it all depends on what your goal for the car is.

If you are going to track the car...I would do 3.31's.

Mine is a DD and will never see the track.....so I am going 3.73's.
Old 2/26/13, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is a DD with the hope of tacking her. Just want some mods first
Old 2/26/13, 11:28 AM
GT Member

I actually have both 3.31's and 3.73's sitting in my garage. I have been on the fence about which one and been talking to others.
Old 2/26/13, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Upgrade to 4.56 gears! Lol jk 4.10 all the way!

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Following Grabber's post would serve you well.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by blairnr67
Hey grabber blue, tried to pm you but wouldn't let me. See if you can't pm me about the converter. I live not too far from circle d. My buddy has one on his G8.
If you live close to Circle D then I would go see them.
4.56 man! Push it to the limit! And the molten rubber on people you hate! Though idk a lot of people like the 4.10's but that might be fore the older GT's and not the 2011-2013?
So if you have no experience with them why give out bad advice. Kind of makes you look foolish no?
Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Everybody has different opinions on gears. I have a 5.0 manual that came with 3.15s and I couldn't stand them
No such thing as a manual with 3.15's. You don't even know what YOU have but yet you give out horrible advice.
Originally Posted by blairnr67
I think I'm gonna go with the 3.73s, just not right now. It's not a super expensive mod. I've been Saving for long tubes, an now I have the money. I'm going to order them very soon along with a few suspension components. Gears, CAI, and Tune will be next..
3.73's will be a mistake.
Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
I think it all depends on what your goal for the car is.

If you are going to track the car...I would do 3.31's.
Now you're on to something! The fastest N/A autos are running 3.31's.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96171
Old 2/27/13, 12:02 PM
GT Member

I must be the odd man out here. I want a bigger tire to take some of the gearing out of mine instead of swapping gears. My factory tires don't have a chance of hooking up under 20-25mph. God help me if the roads are wet.
Old 2/27/13, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Thank you.

If you live close to Circle D then I would go see them.

So if you have no experience with them why give out bad advice. Kind of makes you look foolish no?

No such thing as a manual with 3.15's. You don't even know what YOU have but yet you give out horrible advice.

3.73's will be a mistake.

Now you're on to something! The fastest N/A autos are running 3.31's.

I do know what I have, I have 3.73s. I guess it came with 3.31s, who cares they were gone within hours of buying the car. Not everybody wants the same thing that you want, so there is no bad advice on what somebody other than you wants. All you do is come here praising how good everything is stock, not everybody is happy with stock like you. Thinking everybody wants the same driving experience as you makes you look like the foolish one.
Old 2/27/13, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do know what I have, I have 3.73s. I guess it came with 3.31s, who cares they were gone within hours of buying the car. Not everybody wants the same thing that you want, so there is no bad advice on what somebody other than you wants. All you do is come here praising how good everything is stock, not everybody is happy with stock like you. Thinking everybody wants the same driving experience as you makes you look like the foolish one.
Go back and read post #19 where you state you have a manual with 3.15's. When you understand what you have without being confused come back and we'll have an intelligent conversation. While you're at it post up some track times with all your mods and make a believer out of me.
Old 2/27/13, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JosephCook78
I must be the odd man out here. I want a bigger tire to take some of the gearing out of mine instead of swapping gears. My factory tires don't have a chance of hooking up under 20-25mph. God help me if the roads are wet.
No crap. What is the use of having all this power if you can not get it to the ground. With tune only on the street my car would never hook. I could not even think of having a steeper gear.
Old 2/27/13, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
No crap. What is the use of having all this power if you can not get it to the ground. With tune only on the street my car would never hook. I could not even think of having a steeper gear.
No no, you don't understand. The more gear you have the faster you'll go!
Old 2/27/13, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Go back and read post #19 where you state you have a manual with 3.15's. When you understand what you have without being confused come back and we'll have an intelligent conversation. While you're at it post up some track times with all your mods and make a believer out of me.
I already said I was wrong, can you not read? How can we have an intelligent conversation if you can't read?

What does track times have to do with anything? Did the OP ask how to maximize his 60ft or 1320? Like I said, not everybody wants what you want kiddo.
Old 2/27/13, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

Since I don't have an auto and decided to post in this thread I figured I would google what somebody who has one and has done 3.73s thought about it. He ran a 12.82 with 3.15s and 12.21 with 3.73s AND better tires(not slicks). Heres what he said:

"Here's my $.02 to anybody thinking about getting an automatic and swapping the gears. The absolute first mod I would make to the car would be to get an SCT tuner and tunes from a reputable tuner such as Brenspeed, Bama, Blow By Racing, Evolution Performance, or Lethal Performance (there are others, but those are the main ones that come to mind). The tune really wakes up the car with the factory gears. See if that is enough to make you happy first. With the factory tune, I could only spin first gear power braking the car and at wide open throttle would barely chirp second. With a tune from a dead stop with 3.15's, I could punch it and lose traction. I would spin shifting in to 2nd, and chirp them in 3rd. It made a huge difference. It still wasn't enough for me. It may be for you. My complaint was how long it took to wind out the engine with the 3.15's. That complaint is gone with the 3.73's. Getting the car to hook up with 3.73's on the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires is tough. I had 245/45/19's. I can only imagine those with 18" wheels and the 235/50/18's are going to have an even tougher issue getting hooked up. I was able to sell my factory wheels and tires for $850 and was able to buy a set of GT500 wheels/tires for $1200, so a net cost increase of $350. This makes all the difference in the world. Sorry for the ramble, I just want you guys to have the whole story up front when thinking about this as a mod opportunity. I will say it again, the gears are what have made me the happiest with the car, but I don't want you to think that it's only $150 for the gears."

Good luck OP and enjoy your car either way you decide to go!
Old 2/27/13, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

So no personal experience but because read you it on the internet it must be true huh? Typical internet B.S. Go back to post #4 where I gave some real world data. That's if you can comprehend it.

Fastest N/A auto running 3.31's. /thread

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 2/27/13 at 04:20 PM.
Old 2/27/13, 04:58 PM
GT Member

No no, you don't understand. The more gear you have the faster you'll go!
Lol. Maybe from a 40 roll. From a dig the deeper gears just help out the tire industry
Old 2/27/13, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I already said I was wrong, can you not read? How can we have an intelligent conversation if you can't read?

What does track times have to do with anything? Did the OP ask how to maximize his 60ft or 1320? Like I said, not everybody wants what you want kiddo.
How come no one could tell I was joking in my post? I stated a lot of people liked the 4.10 gears for the earlier mustangs then ASKED what ones the new mustangs owners prefer. It was advice just not for this thread and I asked a question to make my post relevant. Also why all the hate in this thread and all the anger? ANGER IS MY JOB WHEN I TURN INTO THE ANGRY MAN!

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 2/27/13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2/27/13, 05:10 PM
GT Member

How come no one could tell I was joking in my post? I stated a lot of people liked the 4.10 gears for the earlier mustangs then ASKED what ones the new mustangs owners prefer. It was advice just not for this thread and I asked a question to make my post relevant. Also why all the hate in this thread and all the anger? ANGER IS MY JOB WHEN I TURN INTO THE ANGRY MAN!
It's just the forum sheriff out for blood. You can't give opinions unless they're backed up by 1/4 mile data.
Old 2/27/13, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black5.0

It's just the forum sheriff out for blood. You can't give opinions unless they're backed up by 1/4 mile data.
Only ignorant thing he said was "fastest n/a gt" there will always be someone faster no matter what you just don't see it is all.
Old 2/27/13, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

So no personal experience but because read you it on the internet it must be true huh? Typical internet B.S. Go back to post #4 where I gave some real world data. That's if you can comprehend it.

Fastest N/A auto running 3.31's. /thread
I'm sure you are right, the guy wrote all of that just to get a good laugh out of us.
Old 2/27/13, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Bleh I'm staying out of this mindless arguement!
Old 2/27/13, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lol guys, guys... C'mon fellas.. Let's talk gearing, not who the bigger ignoramus is

Quick Reply: 3.15-3.73 gears