Notices
Grabber Blue Grabber Blue 2010+ Mustangs

Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/12, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious what the DA there is? I was able to turn a 13.96 out of a 98 grand prix GTP with the only mod being a smaller supercharger pulley (so maybe 260 at the crank at the most) and a 13.03 out of a 05 GTO stock in summertime heat...

i know your car should have 13's in it all day long, right?
Old 7/8/12, 06:09 PM
GT Member

I'm not sure what the DA is, as I have never done the research on Cayuga Drag Park in Ontario. It was a test and tune night and most guys were just blasting, not doing a lot of tinkering. It has been unseasonably hot here and the humidity was popping at 40 Celsius (104F) that afternoon.

There were a lot of cars running slower than they normally do that night. I talked to several drivers to find out what was holding me back and they all said they were off their averages by 0.5 seconds.

I was also misinformed on the burnout policies. Two marshals made me just go to the line and said my tires, being all season, would hurt the track so no burnouts, but later on after I left found out I could do one just north of the water patch. First time out ever, so I will learn.

The next session I will try to get in before the suspension mods and pull the seats, spare and put premium 94 Octane in her.

I also think the 2.73's are keeping it a little slow.
Old 7/8/12, 06:39 PM
Banned

Oh lord, you need gears!
Old 7/8/12, 06:44 PM
GT Member

That's the plan. Once the suspension is in the drive train gets a work over. Aluminum ds and 3.73s but I'm working from a limited supply of cash. Parts will come as I can afford them. Hoping for gears next month.
Old 7/9/12, 07:34 PM
GT Member

I have some time before I install the suspension so I thought I would do a low budget project to pass the time.

Stage 1 of the Custom Rear Seat Delete has begun.

I want something functional, not a premade delete made from two pieces of wood and plastic pushpins for $150.00, (we all know what I'm talking about). Weight is also a non concern as this is not a race car and I know I will go over the original weight of the seats in my final build. I really just want a functional rear area instead of an "adult death trap".

I decided to mockup a design with storage containers, cup holders and a proper folding back to keep the pass through. I removed the rear seats, belts, buckles and brackets to see what I had to work with and there is a surprising amount of empty space back there.

I've started with sound proofing. Dynamat is very hard to come by for some reason right now and I will not spend ridiculous amounts of money on something else. Here is my plan. I purchased a package of Vita Step 6'x9' under padding. The idea is to cut swatches to fit the floor, make 2 layers and seal with 3M adhesive. The padding was $45.00 after tax.

Once the padding is in I am going to measure for fit of the options I want to add. I will post pictures of the construction as well as any drawings and dimensions, if you like the design, take it! I am also planning something special for the delete but that's a secret for now.

I thought this would be a good time to replace the rear speakers too.
Old 7/15/12, 12:12 PM
GT Member

The back padding on the floor failed. I used 3M Super 77 and Rhino tape to hold things down but it's been so unbearably hot here that it all lifted right up. $ 60.00 in the toilet.

Maybe I will try this again in the fall but for now the back seats are in place again, short of the belts, so now no-one can get a ride!

Last edited by ledsled; 7/15/12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 7/15/12, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Changed out the front speakers this afternoon while we got a break in the rain.

I was a little oversold on the Hertz 5x7's that I had installed. They are great speakers but only 2 way and the hi's and mid's were getting muddled. In place of them I have now got Kenwood 6x8 3 way performance speakers. These are pretty **** good. The hi's and mid's are discernible and bass is a little clearer. I put some Wirez sound mat on the inside door panels but it started to rain and I couldn't do the whole thing. Keeps the rattles away now though.

When I get another nice day I'll pop the Hertz into the rear shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-kenwood.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-wiredmat.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-speakers.jpg  
Old 7/15/12, 08:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The kenwoods look a hell of a lot nicer to me
Old 7/16/12, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Found the wiring diagram for the speakers for those of you wondering as I did, which one is Positive and Negative? I got lucky, but it's still good to know it's right.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-basestereowiring.jpg  
Old 7/18/12, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Just put the Hertz 5x7's in the rear shelf. Not hard at all. Just pop out the panels starting at the door sill, and work backwards. You will need a 14mm socket to remove the seat belt and a small torx head to remove the hanger. The screw is under the hanger cap, just use a small screwdriver to open. Use a 6mm socket to remove your speakers.

I used the wiring diagram for this and it was so simple. Out and in, in less than 1 hour.

Major difference in sound now that the doors and shelf are done. It's a much fuller sound inside now and doesn't have a tinny pitch when you turn it up.
Old 7/23/12, 10:27 PM
GT Member

I would like to start with thanking my friend George for helping me perform the first stage of my suspension swap. I should explain that I am not a technician or trained mechanic, just a guy who has tinkered with cars since I was a kid, and feel I have the correct knowledge and experience and tools to tackle these particular modifications. A lot of research and talking to techs at Steeda has been required but all of what I am doing I'm sure you can do too.

Now, down to business. I have been sick about having all the main hardware to do this and waiting for a good time to get off work but it isn't happening. I decided last night enough was enough.

I dropped into Steeda on the way home and grabbed the front and rear sway bars for the V6. Part number 555-1065. http://www.steeda.ca/ford-mustang-pa...eeda/555-1065/

We started by jacking up the rear pumpkin and put "GOOD" jack stands in, not cheap $20 specials, our lives are at stake here. Just put them under each side of the diff and your good. Left the jack there in case a stand failed. Also chalked the front tires. With the car in the air we popped off the wheels and parking brake lines. One side at a time we replaced the lower control arms with, part number 555-4422 http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...trol-arms.html

I used this link from TacoBill to make sure I did it right. https://themustangsource.com/f669/st...w-pics-461715/ Thank you TacoBill for posting this. It was a great help.

Bolting up the LCA's is a little tough when the car isn't up the air, but manageable. The only thing that concerns me is the quality of the mesh protecting the parking brake lines. It is pretty chewed up from being routed through the OE lower control arms. I think I might replace it with some 1/2" Painless weaved wire loom. I would hate to have road salt and such damage the lines.

Next we popped off the rear sway bar and removed the stock endlinks. The sway bars come with bushings but not endlinks and I live where snow lives so billet was out of the question. Just lube and replace the stockers and your good. This bolted right up and really took no time at all. The hardest part is removing and replacing the stock links, but other than that it's butter.

Lastly, we replaced the panhard bar. Part number 555-2551
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-a...d-mustang.html

This was a pain in the **** to remove with the car low to the ground but a bashed finger and a bump on the head later and it slipped right out. I was planning on taking it to Ford and beating the designer with it, but I don't think it would survive. It has a lead shot or sand in it. It sounds like a rain stick. Enh, now I have a rain stick. The Steeda bar slipped right in. Again, a little difficult to torque down but it can be done.

After we tightened it all down, placed the tires back on, the sky opened! Scrambling to get my tools and parts put away, it rained hard for 20 minutes then stopped.

I grabbed the keys and went for a spin. Here is what I felt.

For those of you that have given it around a corner you know that the car handles more like a boat as it settles into a straight line and feels like its washing side to side and sometimes my brain says, "Correct for this", but nothing is really happening. At the track when I pushed it hard from gear to gear it walked all over the lane trying to straighten out.

Tonight I turned off the nanny controls and went out. With slippery roads I could really play with the car off the line. Two things were immediately apparent. First, the car stayed in a straight line. It didn't want to pull left or right. Second, with the wet roads, the tires started to hop, but it wasn't as harsh as before and settled down right away. I then found a couple twisties and the rear sway bar started to do it's job. Flat around corners and almost no body lean. That actually made me giggle to myself. As I powered out of the slower turns the rear end followed the front and didn't try to forge it's own path.

This upgrade has done exactly what I wanted. With the addition of the front sway bar and springs, shocks and struts it should be a whole new animal to play with.

In summary so far, the rear has now settled down under power and sits firmer, corners are fun now, not "Am I gonna plow into the oncoming lane?" scary anymore.

I will be going to the track tomorrow if possible and will report back on how she feels under full power.

Took a few pics of the parts side by and one of everything in place. It's a shame you can't see any of it, but it's nice gear.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-lowercontrolarm.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-rear-sway-bar.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-all-.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/24/12, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Turns out in my haste i popped the sway bar on upside down. Just flipped it. 20 minutes. Went for a spin, feels great!
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-swaybarproper.jpg  
Old 7/28/12, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Well, after a few days of driving around and letting the new parts seat I can honestly say this is money well spent.

The most noticeable difference is when I crest a sharp bump under throttle. I used to experience what felt like a stutter in the traction while the rear end settled down. That is gone. Flat and smooth while going over bumps and speed bumps too.

The new LCAs are amazing. I have gone around a few corners in town that used to really unsettle the rear end and it would wobble for a second before getting back in line and now it just turns the corner and goes where you point it.

The rear sway bar is much thicker than stock. I am still trying to find the specs on the OE bar but Steeda claims 80+% firmer for the V6 and 10+% for the GT and I think they are right. Taking the clover onto the highway is a little more fun now. At least 20km/h faster now without the body lean. I'm sure I could go faster but I am trying to maintain a level of safety.

So far I am loving the changes. I might pop the front sway bar in tomorrow if I have time, and have almost got the time arranged to get the springs, shocks and struts in.

I posted the original parts for sale cheap on another site, if you live around Toronto and need OE parts message me.
Old 8/1/12, 11:14 PM
GT Member

I managed to get out to Cayuga again tonight.

Track was fairly quiet because of the temps I guess. 79F with 61% humidity, and the track is at an elevation of 699 ft. I ran 94 Octane this time and stock Pirelli Nero A/S.

The evening started out like the last one ended, a 14.438 @ 99.19 mph but I had a terrible launch and a 2.277 60 ft. The second run had my only miss shift of the night and I aborted the run.

After that low 14's started to become the norm. That was making me crazy. I'm shifting at redline, and the temps were getting cooler as the humidity went away. Then at 9:30 I managed a 14.053 @ 100.43 mph with a 2.154 60 ft. 100 mph! That was exciting!

I had been running in the right lane all night and decided to try a left lane run. What I didn't know was a Pinto Wagon had blown on the way down and I went right through his spill as I was shifting into 3rd. I got my first taste of sideways at speed and had to lift or spin. Thank God for the new Steeda LCA and swaybar. My corrections did not cause the car to wobble to break around and I firmly believe that's what kept me out of the wall. That scared the hell out of me and I parked it for a much needed smoke break.

After I summoned up some "SISU" I went back out. I dropped the rear tire pressure to 25 PSI, did a couple more runs and was parked in the 14.2's. I thought it was just not possible to break 13 with my gears and all seasons.

I was getting ready to pack it in and I saw a '09 GT that had run with me earlier and thought I should do one more. He said he had pulled a 13.9 and felt he couldn't do better but I was still impressed. The clouds parted and the Car Gods watched with anticipation. A 2012 V6 vs. '09 GT with suspension and drag radials. We staged, lights dropped and feet down. We were side by for the entire run. I thought I had done another 14.0 something and grabbed my slip. 13.776 @ 101.86 mph 2.090 60 ft. The GT scrubbed out a 13.835 @ 104.19 2.177 60 ft. I parked the car and without caring who was watching proceeded to do the Iggy Shuffle. Thanks DW for the steps! I am so happy the hard work is paying off.

There you have it! 13.776 @ 101.86 mph in a fairly stock 2012 V6 3.7L Mustang with 2.73's, a 6 speed and All Season tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmq7...ature=youtu.be

Sorry about the noise, I didn't have my window closed...oops! The colourful language is also my oops.

I will be getting the spring and shocks/struts in next week and I'm hoping that will help settle the car a little more. 13.5?
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-13776pic.jpg  
Old 8/9/12, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Going into the shop in the morning to have struts, shocks, springs and bumpsteer kit installed!
Old 8/11/12, 10:11 PM
Banned

that's so awesome!! Reminds me of the last time I took my old GTO to the strip, running 13.0's all day long, begging for 12's, kept getting terrible 60' times, like 2.3-2.4, then let it cool for a while, and came back at the end of the night finally got traction and a 1.88 60' and dropped an entire second from the run. I didn't do a happy dance, but I did scream HELL YES..

It's exciting to see your updates. I appreciate your thread.
Old 8/14/12, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

You've got quite the list of mods there, great work so far. I certainly like thus far.
Old 8/15/12, 11:33 PM
GT Member

Low Rider Donnie....Donnie? Low Rider?

AWESOME! First thing that comes to mind after 6 days of driving in different conditions and weather.

Let's start from the top. Friday morning Steeda got the car and started into it. Front swaybar first, I pre-assembled the struts so they were just a bolt in, then the bumpsteer kit. Problem One. Ford had forced the left nut on the tie-rod and cross threaded it. When I rolled over bumps the car wanted to jump to the side in stock form but I assumed that was a trait of a heavy long car with a compromising suspension. Turns out the left side was a garbage build from FORD!!! Looking at you Ford. I only noticed there was an install issue when I heard the Die Grinder going to town and looked to see what was going on. They had to cut off the nut and then remove the tie-rod.

After that it was smooth sailing. Rear shocks and springs were dropped in and they checked the install I did with the rear end and said it all looked great. Off to get the alignment and an hour later I was heading home.
$ 425.00 plus $ 95.00 for the alignment.

Now I was really excited to play but it's been raining like hell for 2 weeks and Friday was no exception. I went for a 50km ride and started to push it a little more in the rain than I normally would but Robyn took it!

So lets go over the observed list of Pro's and Con's, and the Middle ground.

The Pro's that far out weigh the Con's:

First of all she's looks Amazing! I keep staring at her and grinning like an idiot.

I wanted to put my following point here but I just noticed this last night and was literally floored. I was so caught up in "what can she do now", that I wasn't looking for "what doesn't she do now". SHE DOES NOT SHIMMY AT 2,500 RPM DECEL! When the shop leveled the drive shaft it must have solved the vibration issue. It just isn't there. I even started accelerating and decelerating on purpose to make sure I hadn't suddenly gone crazy. Also, and this is still something I need cold start testing on, I think the second gear nibble is gone. Didn't feel it over the last day or so, but again, I wasn't looking for a change there.

She is stupid flat though the tight corners now. 40km/h on-ramps are now 70km/h. The roll centre is lower now and that is very noticeable. Taking the twisties though the country roads is so much more fun. When I hit the chicanes my brain want to slow to "Suggested speed" but I keep my current speed and ZIP ZIP I'm on the other side. I am sure I am getting better mileage because of this as well. I'm not accelerating as much after a bend, just keeping a steady speed instead of scrubbing it off and getting back on it. I can not wait to take it to a proper track and see what she can do.

There is almost no nosedive on braking. I had to hit mine hard tonight, doing 110km/h, traveling on the highway in the fast lane because of a guy texting and thought he saw something. He came across infront of me and stopped. I darted left onto the shoulder and still stopped a good distance behind him. The guy behind me nearly ran up his trumpet, went right passed were I used to be because I can stop so well with my amazing brakes. My girlfriend's face nearly peeled off but no front lockup or ABS kick in. If I hadn't moved I would have been smashed for sure.

Adversely, there is no suspension loading when you reach the bottom of a hill to just go right up another. Country road drivers know what I am talking about. That roller coaster set of hills we all secretly put our hands in the air as we crest.

The steering is much tighter and I always use SPORT. It feels like a real performance car now and the steering talks a lot better to me. The bumpsteer kit certainly did it's job. No matter how bad, and I mean really bad the bump is, the car takes it, my butt takes it and my head bounces off the rest, but she keeps a straight and true heading. I am thoroughly impressed. I hope this solves the small wiggle under WOT at the strip as I change gears. The LCA's are keeping it inline much better though.

Running over local manhole covers and small potholes are nothing. Just glides right over. I can still go over almost any speed bump, even with my plate under the car and up driveway inclines with ease. Larger ones just require a little geometry to figure out.

The Middle Ground: (These are not complaints, just noticeable changes that require respect)

Smooth roads are now slightly jiggly roads. Bumpy roads are now rough roads and so on. I am feeling every bit of feedback though the suspension. This was unexpected because everyone I talked to said that it will ride lower but that set-up is relatively mild and you shouldn't notice much difference in ride quality. Liars!!! This is a serious change. I have done this before but I have always used parts that I knew were harsher and I wanted that. I like this change but just wasn't expecting so much of one.

I have to slow for train tracks regardless of their condition. No biggie, just lets me burn back up to speed .

The rear wheels still hop and it's harsh now, but that will require an adjustable rear upper control arm swap. That's next, before winter hits.

The Con's:

I have to baby my coffee now. Drinks will splash and flow. Every little bump unsettles the car's horizontal plane and I also tend to forget I'm going a little quicker around turns and it just spills a little.

Rougher roads are really frickin' annoying. I never considered the V6 to be a bad car to tour in because of the Cadillac style way it absorbed bumps on it's 18's. I am reconsidering that now. I would love to go cross country in her but that might be a little trying for 8-10 hours at a time. I already spend 3-4 a day for work.

These are really just minor annoyances and are no different than a M3 or Porsche owner would deal with. I know this because I had a 911 trying to pull away from me on a twisty road and I was catching him.

Summing up, wicked! I am getting compliments everywhere, she looks absolutely badass, handles like a real performance machine and has a safer front end now. Again, looking at you FORD! As for voiding any warranty I had...how do I put this politely? HA HA FREAKIN' HA! Even if I had noticed the front tie-rod issue earlier, it would have been a song and dance production from Ford on why I did this and it's normal wear and tear. I sold these cars, I know the games. Steeda stands behind their product and I have had a much better experience with them in the last 10 months than I have ever had with any dealership. Pssssst...Steeda....that's your queue to toss a free T-shirt at me!

As for the numbers at the track...talk to the Man upstairs. Rain is in the forecast for the next couple of test days and then the season is over here.

For anyone that's considering some or all of these changes I would offer this advice. Do it slowly like I did. One piece at a time will let you better understand the changes you have made. If you do to much too soon and don't like it you won't know what to change. Setting up a car is one of God's great mysteries and playing with something you barely understand can be aggravating and destructive to your car. Drive it with respect. Yes, going into a corner at a higher speed is fun but if you have little to no experience with the changes a sudden environmental change, like road conditions or something in the driving path comes along you'll go straight to the scene of the accident.

I managed to grab a couple pics while she was in the air, but I have to take a couple more and post later. The weather sucked the day I got her done so I only got a couple pics and she looks like Kate's Dirty Sister. I also included a pic of her at stock ride height so you can see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-air.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-strut.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-spring.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-rearassembly.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-assend.jpg  

Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-gasstation1stock.jpg   Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn-gas1.jpg  

Last edited by ledsled; 8/15/12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 8/16/12, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Much better! Good information. Thanks!
Old 8/17/12, 12:54 PM
GT Member

I have taken the last couple days to focus on the DS vibration at 2500 r.p.m. and the Second gear nibble.

The vibration is definitely gone. I can feel a little something but I know that is just the natural NVH with the Steeda Transmission Bushing.

In regards to the nibble...it is not as bad. That is why I thought it was gone. It's more like a very quick rub rounding corners and shifting as opposed to what it was before.

I had forgotten to mention before how quiet the ride is. Everything made by one company works well. No more NVH than before and I think it is much calmer in the cabin. No more creaking noises from the shocks and front srtuts as I glide over bumps.

Quick Reply: Modifying my Mustang. Project Rocket Robyn