Notices
Black Black 2010+ Mustangs

lakeguy77's Build Thread

Old 6/30/14, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An update on my build... I haven't added anything else yet. The side scoops and quarter louvres are still in the box.

1. I'm definitely not putting the Boss lines in. I jumped in my Legacy the other day to run to the grocery store and although braking power isn't there, the initial bite and feel of a car with stainless lines is truly amazing. If anybody would like to buy some Boss brake lines, let me know!

2. The shifter still needs work. The Energy Suspension bushing did clean it up a bit, but I still get the crunchy feeling when I hustle the shift. In laid back driving, the bushing got rid of the crunchiness. When you're just moving the shifter to the gate and just letting it find the gears, it's fine. But when you put the effort in for a faster shift, much of the time I'm still getting that Triscuit feel.

So what to do? Lines are relatively easy, I'll probably give the Russell lines a shot. Good reviews and all 4 are $150. I've used StopTech in the past, but they're close to double the price.

For the shifter...well, I already hear the "MGW! MGW! MGW!" Lebron-for-MVP chants raining down. My issue is I actually like the throws of the stock shifter, and would prefer I reduced-reduction MGW if something like that existed. So I'm contemplating the Steeda Tri-Ax. I don't see a lot about it here, but what I do see is very good (aside from some installation quirks) and the throws are a 20% reduction, vs. a 30-40% reduction on every other brand. I'd pair this with either the Steeda bushing, or go to a Barton 2-post. And yes, I realize this puts me within $20 of the MGW. This one will not be a cost-based decision.
Old 7/3/14, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Awesome build so far! What did that boss side exit exhaust run you? I already have the gt500 axle back. Also, I have the Barton shifter and bracket and have ran it since my car was new and highly recommend it. Pretty simple install too. Just finished up my suspension mods, next up brake mods. Hoping to install a Brembo kit.
Old 7/3/14, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bubbasuwannee
Awesome build so far! What did that boss side exit exhaust run you? I already have the gt500 axle back. Also, I have the Barton shifter and bracket and have ran it since my car was new and highly recommend it. Pretty simple install too. Just finished up my suspension mods, next up brake mods. Hoping to install a Brembo kit.
I bought the kit off AM. If you google around and find a cheaper shipped price they'll likely match it. I went through them because there was some other stuff I wanted and combining shipping when it's coming to Canada is always preferable.

I actually just caved to internet peer pressure (I poked the bear, the bear won ) and ordered the MGW this morning. It's apparently a couple weeks out, so that'll probably be my next update.

For suspension, it'll likely be a Steeda spring/damper setup, but using the older 05-10 struts and GT500 mounts instead of caster/camber plates. I really like their build quality and their drop/ride quality is what I'm really after. Supporting mods will come from there as well. But that won't happen for a while. Coming to the end of my 2014 mod budget now.

Last edited by lakeguy77; 7/3/14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 7/3/14, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

I'd spend the extra and skip the gt500 mounts. They're just a beefed up stock mount, better to spend the extra and do the job once with more than is needed than just the minimum. I know they're cheaper, and that's inviting when already spending a lot on upgrades.
Old 7/3/14, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd spend the extra and skip the gt500 mounts. They're just a beefed up stock mount, better to spend the extra and do the job once with more than is needed than just the minimum. I know they're cheaper, and that's inviting when already spending a lot on upgrades.
They are cheaper and that is attractive, but for what I'm doing the GT500's will be more than enough. I've been following dmichaels' track driving threads. He's a better driver than I'm ever likely to be. If a fixed damper and GT500 mount combo are good enough for him, it's more than enough for me. I have no trouble spending money when I'll personally get the value out of it (part of the reason for the MGW vs. a Steeda shifter setup), but not on something I'll never be able to take advantage of.
Old 7/3/14, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

Fair enough. Looks like you've weighed your options. I backed myself into a corner by purchasing 11'-14' spec struts, but I spread my part purchases over a number of months. Spent more than I had planned , but glad how everything came together.
Old 7/3/14, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Fair enough. Looks like you've weighed your options. I backed myself into a corner by purchasing 11'-14' spec struts, but I spread my part purchases over a number of months. Spent more than I had planned , but glad how everything came together.
I tend to research to death when it comes to mechanicals, so when I do it it'll be a one-shot deal. When it comes time to choose a tuner I might ACTUALLY research myself to death with all the options out there, but at present I am extremely happy with the car's performance so that's not even on my radar. But I definitely hear you about buying the wrong thing and backing yourself into a corner like that. I've got a set of perfectly good Boss brake lines sitting here that I've now changed my mind on. But that's a fraction the price of shocks/struts.
Old 7/10/14, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not related to my build per se, but a necessary part of the process... sold my 2007 Legacy Spec.B tonight. **** I'll miss that car, but the Mustang will more than make up for the fun side, and whatever truck/SUV I pick up will more than cover the utility side of things. But the Mustang is now a full-on DD, rain or shine until I track down another vehicle.
Old 7/10/14, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Good call on the MGW shifter, never heard a single complaint about it. Personally I have had no issues with my OEM shifter, but I seem to be the minority.

I like the GT500 strut mounts - very solid, and the negative camber I got dropping the car has helped turn in but has not seemed to create any wear issues on the tires (yet). I will do camber/caster plates down the road, but in my opinion there are other higher priority items. Like slicks

I agree on the tuning - really don't need more power at all at this point. Hard to use the car's power most of the time, except at a track day.

Good luck with the truck purchase. I'd go for a diesel if at all possible.
Old 7/10/14, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Good call on the MGW shifter, never heard a single complaint about it. Personally I have had no issues with my OEM shifter, but I seem to be the minority.
Call me a stalker, but I actually sifted through your threads/posts looking to see if you'd done a shifter...I'm actually surprised that yours has done as well as it has. Mine has gotten better as I've been approaching 2000 kms but I still don't feel grip-it-and-rip-it confident that it won't make some unsavory noises.

I like the GT500 strut mounts - very solid, and the negative camber I got dropping the car has helped turn in but has not seemed to create any wear issues on the tires (yet). I will do camber/caster plates down the road, but in my opinion there are other higher priority items. Like slicks
Agreed. That $400 on CC plates, at this stage of the game for me as a driver is overkill. I may throw in some camber bolts...but only because I've got a brand new set of Eibach camber bolts for one of my old Subaru's that happen to bear the same part number as the ones for the Mustang. When (or rather, IF) the time comes that I need the ability to monkey around with it, I'll do them then, and that's the time that I'd go to an adjustable strut as well. I am not a pro driver, I don't claim to be. I was not class-competitive when I did autocross so at a track I'm sure I'll be building sand castles.

I agree on the tuning - really don't need more power at all at this point. Hard to use the car's power most of the time, except at a track day.
Again, agreed. Not an area this car needs help.

Good luck with the truck purchase. I'd go for a diesel if at all possible.
Unfortunately, diesels will be a little out of my price range. I'm looking for something in the 3 to 4 year old range, and all the diesel trucks around here are WAY out of my budget. But a well equipped supercrew 5.0L F150 or 5.3L Sierra/Silverado is right in the target range, so that's where I'm shoppin'.
Old 7/10/14, 10:48 PM
V6 Member

What are you going to be using the pickup/truck, I grew up in an area where it was a pickup so sorry if I confuse you, for? If you're not going to be hauling/towing anything extremely heavy I would seriously consider a 2010 silverado/sierra with a 5.3. I've been in a GM pickup my entire life on my family's farm and ranch and would never look anywhere else. My 04 1500 has taken me to hell and back lol!
Old 7/12/14, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Solved the truck issue this morning. Went to look at a 2011 GMC Sierra. Was gorgeous, low mileage and clearly very babied, all receipts from the dealer for service work. Left a deposit on it, picking it up on Tuesday. So I'll have something to haul around Mustang parts now.

Speaking of which, now back to the Mustang talk.

Still waiting on my MGW to get here, but they did say it would ship in about two weeks. We're close to that now, so should see it in another week or two.
Old 7/29/14, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

The MGW has arrived, and first impression is very good. People say it's built like a tank...well I can't really describe it any better than that, so I'll leave it there. The number of pieces and amount of supplementary materials in the box look a little daunting right now, but having everything in my hands and doing a run through of the install video at my desk, I'm confident this is a DIY job, at least for my skill level. It's a very detail oriented install, so I will have the video handy when I do the job.

As for when I actually do it...for the first time this summer, I've got a long stretch of sunshine and gorgeous weather in the forecast, and a long weekend coming up. While a weekend wrenching in the garage is a good time (not joking) I think I'd rather be out driving. That said, if I find myself wide awake Saturday morning and get an early start, an improved shifter for a weekend of driving will be a welcome addition. We'll see.
Old 8/2/14, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Less talk more pics
Old 8/25/14, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tiny update. Cleaned up the engine bay with a sound tube delete. Haven't been able to find the parts locally so went with the cooltech kit. Took 5 minutes, looks much better. Pouring rain out (again) so no review today.
Old 10/26/14, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shuttin' her down for the winter this weekend. Had a photo shoot yesterday with a friend who's actually a proper photographer who's been bugging me all summer. And also went for a nice long (300km-ish) drive. There's already a collection of boxes in the basement for next spring so there will be changes the next time she sees the light of day.

DSC_2775 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2770 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2758 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2754 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2745 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2735 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2707 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2694 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2690 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2679 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2682 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr

DSC_2682 by SoloSnapshots, on Flickr
Old 10/26/14, 07:40 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Looking good. Some great shots. I've been thinking of when should I park and cover until spring. I'm going until first snowflake or first time they salt roads.
Old 10/26/14, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Forecast here is rain starting sometime this morning, and turning to snow tomorrow. I rarely drive it in the rain, so this is pretty much it for the year.
Old 10/26/14, 09:22 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Forecast here is rain starting sometime this morning, and turning to snow tomorrow. I rarely drive it in the rain, so this is pretty much it for the year.
****. Well I live in Massachusetts and we could see snow at any point starting now but we probably got through November before we start talking big snows. My only regret is I don't have a garage. I tried all summer to weasel my car into family and friend's garages but no go.
Old 10/26/14, 10:25 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Interested in what lines you do go with. I also know how much different ss lines can make. I'm considering the gt500 6 pot package for next year, with ss lines.

Your car looks great, in stock trim. Great pics too. Aree you going to put on the side scoops for sure?

My heart goes out to you guys in the midwest and mid canada. Out here in BC it's rain, rain rain now. I don't have a garage currently either, so i try to keep her dry under the carport and under a cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lakeguy77's Build Thread