Notices
Black Black 2010+ Mustangs

lakeguy77's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/14, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cease5.0
Awesome lakeguy you were prepared. I just ordered my bobs catch can I'm going to try and drive it as less as possible until that arrives. Your car is almost identical to mine only difference is the spoiler.

Do you happen to have discount codes from AM looking to order some stuff from them.
You need to PM one of the AM reps on here for the code, I think everybody gets a different one. Sorry I missed this post until now.
Old 6/17/14, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

If this doesn't make you happy about the drive to work in the morning, I can't help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGcVpehiLnw
Old 6/17/14, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tonight's Addition: MMD Decklid Panel.

Really like this, matches up really nice with the license plate surround and breaks up the wall of black at the back. Really happy with it. The fit is beautiful. Changing over the faux gas cap was easier than I though but I did break one of the two plastic posts on the back, as they are VERY fragile...seems to me that faux gas cap was meant to be a one-shot deal. When you remove it, you replace it. Ended up using 3M tape to hold it on.

Name:  IMG_20140617_193505_zpszjpxovz2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  83.3 KB
Old 6/17/14, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
lakeguy77 I love your build. What made you go with the single outlet GT500 Mufflers instead of the Dual?

I am having a hard time making this decision. I love the color of the valance on our GT's and I am not sure I like the Black out panel of the GT 500 Dual
Old 6/17/14, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
lakeguy77 I love your build. What made you go with the single outlet GT500 Mufflers instead of the Dual?

I am having a hard time making this decision. I love the color of the valance on our GT's and I am not sure I like the Black out panel of the GT 500 Dual
I've been a fan of the Boss 302 forever, but couldn't afford one, and when I could, couldn't find one. So I'm picking and choosing a few Boss touches here and there. The coil covers, side exhausts. I'll eventually do the rear valance as well. I have no problem with the unpainted Boss or GT500 valances, I find it almost necessary on a black car...and you could always have them painted. In fact, although I'm sure it's been done, I've never seen that before, would be unique.

The only reason I haven't done the valance yet is because I've always struggled with "no turning back" mods, which is what cutting up your bumper is.
Old 6/17/14, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I've been a fan of the Boss 302 forever, but couldn't afford one, and when I could, couldn't find one. So I'm picking and choosing a few Boss touches here and there. The coil covers, side exhausts. I'll eventually do the rear valance as well. I have no problem with the unpainted Boss or GT500 valances, I find it almost necessary on a black car...and you could always have them painted. In fact, although I'm sure it's been done, I've never seen that before, would be unique. The only reason I haven't done the valance yet is because I've always struggled with "no turning back" mods, which is what cutting up your bumper is.
I'm just going to dip my stock valance when I get the car, but I plan on doing quads eventually.
Old 6/17/14, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm just going to dip my stock valance when I get the car, but I plan on doing quads eventually.
I thought long and hard about it, but then MMD came out with this and I really liked it. If I decide I want the unribbed clean-ness, I've still got the stocker sitting here with the faux gas cap already removed for easy matte refinishing if I so desire.

Still left to do:
OEM side scoops
MMD Classic window louvres
Steeda black shift **** (I **** near burned my hand on the stocker yesterday, but it's so **** pretty I haven't swapped yet)
Boss 302 brake lines (now thinking I should have got stainless lines, which is what I originally wanted...price seduced me on this one)

I've also got some of the thin 5.0 hood stripes from AM that just run down the sides of the power bulge, along with AM's no-logo rocker stripes, both in matte black. Definitely want to do the hood stripes, but wavering on the rocker stripes.
Old 6/17/14, 09:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I thought long and hard about it, but then MMD came out with this and I really liked it. If I decide I want the unribbed clean-ness, I've still got the stocker sitting here with the faux gas cap already removed for easy matte refinishing if I so desire. Still left to do: OEM side scoops MMD Classic window louvres Steeda black shift **** (I **** near burned my hand on the stocker yesterday, but it's so **** pretty I haven't swapped yet) Boss 302 brake lines (now thinking I should have got stainless lines, which is what I originally wanted...price seduced me on this one) I've also got some of the thin 5.0 hood stripes from AM that just run down the sides of the power bulge, along with AM's no-logo rocker stripes, both in matte black. Definitely want to do the hood stripes, but wavering on the rocker stripes.
I mean the lower valance. I was thinking about the MMD deck lid though, even though I really really want the RTR one.
Old 6/17/14, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

I've been a fan of the Boss 302 forever, but couldn't afford one, and when I could, couldn't find one. So I'm picking and choosing a few Boss touches here and there. The coil covers, side exhausts. I'll eventually do the rear valance as well. I have no problem with the unpainted Boss or GT500 valances, I find it almost necessary on a black car...and you could always have them painted. In fact, although I'm sure it's been done, I've never seen that before, would be unique.

The only reason I haven't done the valance yet is because I've always struggled with "no turning back" mods, which is what cutting up your bumper is.

I'm with you on the cutting up the car.. The more I read the GT with Track pack is allot closer to a Boss than Most think. Other than the engine parts and intake most of the rest is the same and has the same power. I love these cars...

Keep up the great build. Thankx for the information.
Old 6/17/14, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

I thought long and hard about it, but then MMD came out with this and I really liked it. If I decide I want the unribbed clean-ness, I've still got the stocker sitting here with the faux gas cap already removed for easy matte refinishing if I so desire.

Still left to do:
OEM side scoops
MMD Classic window louvres
Steeda black shift **** (I **** near burned my hand on the stocker yesterday, but it's so **** pretty I haven't swapped yet)
Boss 302 brake lines (now thinking I should have got stainless lines, which is what I originally wanted...price seduced me on this one)

I've also got some of the thin 5.0 hood stripes from AM that just run down the sides of the power bulge, along with AM's no-logo rocker stripes, both in matte black. Definitely want to do the hood stripes, but wavering on the rocker stripes.
\

I love the aluminum shift **** to much to change it. I am having a leather piece to cover it made so it wont get hot...
Old 6/18/14, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I mean the lower valance. I was thinking about the MMD deck lid though, even though I really really want the RTR one.
Sorry about that, yeah that's not a bad idea, curious how plasti-dip holds up to the heat around the exhaust tips.

The RTR panel does look great, but on a black car, I'd still want to dip/paint flat black. The other issue is finding one....though I hear they're going to restart production.

\

I love the aluminum shift **** to much to change it. I am having a leather piece to cover it made so it wont get hot...
Genius! I think I'll do the same...that aluminum **** is just too pretty to change.
Old 6/18/14, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Just went for a drive on my lunch break and the sun is finally out. And I tell ya, you can watch all the YouTube exhaust videos you want, but until you're IN a car with Boss exhaust, windows down, you have NO idea how awesome it is. You get the primary roar from the mufflers at the back, but you get a dueling banjos effect of pops and gurgles and barks from the sides. Its a true surround sound experience. Should a saved myself some money and skipped the shaker pro. I'll never bother with it.

The shifter bushing made for a small improvement in shifting, particularly when the car is warmed up. I'm going to hold off on further upgrades in this area to give it some break in time, and pass further judgment when I've got a couple thousand kms on it.
Looking great. I agree on the sound system. I got the base package figuring I didn't care much about music in this car. Has been a good decision. Havent even looked at installing my Boston acoustics speakers I have laying around. No need.

So what's up next?
Old 6/18/14, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Looking great. I agree on the sound system. I got the base package figuring I didn't care much about music in this car. Has been a good decision. Havent even looked at installing my Boston acoustics speakers I have laying around. No need.

So what's up next?
Finding something I don't like about the car to improve.

I mentioned the shift feel, but I'm thinking brakes lines and fluid next. There's just a touch of mushiness right at the top that I think some lines would clean up.

The suspension is a touch bouncy, I feel it particularly in the rear, and it kind exaggerates the little side step the rear wheels do over a sharp bump, even at a steady speed in a straight line. So springs/struts/watts link will follow, but I need to put some spirited miles on her before I do anything like that.
Old 6/18/14, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Finding something I don't like about the car to improve.

I mentioned the shift feel, but I'm thinking brakes lines and fluid next. There's just a touch of mushiness right at the top that I think some lines would clean up.

The suspension is a touch bouncy, I feel it particularly in the rear, and it kind exaggerates the little side step the rear wheels do over a sharp bump, even at a steady speed in a straight line. So springs/struts/watts link will follow, but I need to put some spirited miles on her before I do anything like that.

On the Brake lines why would you change them? Fluid? What will that do to make the car perform better?
Old 6/18/14, 05:50 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Tonight's Addition: MMD Decklid Panel.

Really like this, matches up really nice with the license plate surround and breaks up the wall of black at the back. Really happy with it. The fit is beautiful. Changing over the faux gas cap was easier than I though but I did break one of the two plastic posts on the back, as they are VERY fragile...seems to me that faux gas cap was meant to be a one-shot deal. When you remove it, you replace it. Ended up using 3M tape to hold it on.
That's on my list too. Looks great!
Old 6/18/14, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Nice job on your mods. It's a great feeling when you finally get to pick your car up. What brake lines, and fluid are you looking to purchase?
Old 6/18/14, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the Brake lines why would you change them? Fluid? What will that do to make the car perform better?
Improves pedal feel, takes out some of the mushiness particularly at the top of the pedal travel. Rubber lines stretch/flex just a bit making brake travel a little non-linear. Stainless or even low-expansion lines are better. Through some research I found out that the Track Pack lines are an improvement over the standard GT lines, but the Boss lines are still a small upgrade, which is why I'm now second guessing myself on them and thinking I want to go right to stainless.

When you're changing lines, you have to bleed the fluid anyways, why not change it out for something a little more performance oriented? I plan to do next year's performance driving school at the road course about an hour out of town, along with some track days. There's a good chance there will be other brake upgrades to come as well, but these are my starters.
Old 6/18/14, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Nice job on your mods. It's a great feeling when you finally get to pick your car up. What brake lines, and fluid are you looking to purchase?
Russell or StopTech. I've used StopTech on other cars and really like them. They're pricey compared to the Russell lines but worth every penny. For brake fluid, I will be choosing that when the time comes, but going with something readily available locally. Probably Motul as it's about the only one I can consistently find here.
Old 6/20/14, 11:31 PM
V6 Member

Lakeguy77,

How do you like the boss side exhaust now that it's been on for a week? I'm disappointed in the sound volume of only the Gt500 mufflers. I am hesitant to order this exhaust if it's not much louder than what I have already with the plates removed.
Old 6/21/14, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nono, you will hear it. I've got a 3/4" restrictor plate in, and for a day or two I thought about downsizing to a 1/2" plate. But the sound is just waaay too intoxicating. The sound alone gets looks. You WILL blip the throttle on every downshift and then let it engine brake down for the *pop*crackle*crackle*blumblumblum <---not doing it justice. It's absolutely addictive. Every drive is a special drive. If the stock mufflers are a 2/10 for sound, and the GT500's are a 5/10, and Roush is a 9/10, then the Boss exhaust is Spinal Tap mode...the thing is, because of the restrictors, you can tune it back down if you want. I don't think I could handle it wide open. 3/4" has gone from too loud to just right to my ears. You hear it on the highway but it's not super droney, which I've heard complaints about with it wide open.

Cliff's Notes: BEST EXHAUST SETUP EVER. It's a shame you have to loose it to go to X-pipes and stuff.

Quick Reply: lakeguy77's Build Thread