Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Ford should pull out of Nascar!

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/13, 09:25 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I was just pointing out that GM in particular gets more for their money out of NASCRAP than say Ford who would benefit more if NASCRAP would allow something more than two-valve push rod engines as the power plant of choice.

Where say a series allowing the Boss 302 to compete with its multi valve 5.0 paid bigger dividends to Ford compared to its NASCRAP program.
Old 5/24/13, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exactly, Ford should be able to showcase the overhead cam engines in the NASCAR arena. Currently, Ford has to build a race engine that fits the NASCAR design parameters. By the way, I watched the qualifying for the Charlotte 600 mile race. A Ford did not even qualify in the top five. How pathetic. NASCAR checks the horsepower, body aerodynamics, and chassis after each race. How is NASCAR so unable to indicate to the Ford teams where they are short on performance ? Four out of the top five qualifiers for Charlotte were Toyotas, is NASCAR blind to the performance inequities of their own rules ?
Old 5/24/13, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Exactly, Ford should be able to showcase the overhead cam engines in the NASCAR arena. Currently, Ford has to build a race engine that fits the NASCAR design parameters. By the way, I watched the qualifying for the Charlotte 600 mile race. A Ford did not even qualify in the top five. How pathetic. NASCAR checks the horsepower, body aerodynamics, and chassis after each race. How is NASCAR so unable to indicate to the Ford teams where they are short on performance ? Four out of the top five qualifiers for Charlotte were Toyotas, is NASCAR blind to the performance inequities of their own rules ?
I remember the good ole days when Chevrolet, Dodge, Buick and Pontiac were begging Nascrap to do something about the speed of the Ford's. None of them could handle Ford back in the day and I still say if everything is equal and you run a Ford against a Chevrolet the Ford wins 99% of time.

Last edited by Muscle-Car-Memories; 5/24/13 at 02:58 PM.
Old 5/24/13, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Wait a minute. You are seriously asking that NASCAR tell Ford what's wrong with their equipment? Really? Wow... that's... well, that's just amazing.

Imaginarly Rule: "You will have a 500 Cubic Inch engine, V8, Pushrod, two valves per cylinder, roller rockers, hydraulic lifters ONLY, 10:1 compression ratio, with a 1100 Holley Double Pumper, with X sized main jets, no forced induction, no Ram Air or Hood Scoops, no fuel/additive except the racing fuel we give you in a tank of X gallons, AND you have to make that big tank of gas last the entire race. That's it. Go racing."

Now, that's overall a very simplistic rule. BUT... if that's the rule, that's the rule. Everyone has that rule. It is enforced. The things you can and can't do then are:

1) Create a manifold of win.
2) Create an intake of win.
3) Create a cam of win
4) Balance the motor
5) Add lightness to the rotating mass of the engine
6) Reduce friction of the rotating mass
7) Different oiling of things (move ports, change their sizes, where they squirt or seep, etc.)

In other words, there's plenty in that rule to do things to enhance the motor's ability to make horsepower and/or torque. And that is where but one difference can be made.

Therefore, to suggest that NASCAR tells any manufacturer or team what's "wrong" with their car is really quite hilarious.

Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories
I remember the good ole days when Chevrolet, Dodge, Buick and Pontiac were begging Nascrap to do something about the speed of the Ford's. None of them could handle Ford back in the day and I still say if everything is equal and you run a Ford against a Chevrolet the Ford wins 99% of time.
Exactly. NASCAR makes changes when the teams complain enough. They approve new noses, tails, weight movement, all kinds of things.

They do want a competitive product between the manufacturers, it's part of the series itself. And I repoint to the percentage of each one in the top 10, and say that unless it was all Chevy for the top 5 or 6? Nope. Nothin's wrong, go race, people.
Old 5/24/13, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

If NASCAR can tell Ford before they design an engine that it will be too powerful, they could at least indicate to the Ford race teams where they need to work to more quickly become competitive. NASCAR says it wants all teams to be competitive. As a result, NASCAR should then do what is necessary to make all makes of cars more close in performance.
Old 5/27/13, 05:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I may be in the minority here but, honestly what does it matter? The interwebs are filled with stories of empty stands, falling tv ratings, etc. Not saying that NASCAR is going out of business anytime soon but it just isn't as popular as it once was.

Its also not relevant. For instance, isn't this the first year that fuel injection is allowed? When was the last non-fuel injected car sold in this country? 20 years ago? More? The safety aspects of the last iteration NASCAR platform is admirable and remarkable. BUT, safety doesn't sell to the public at large or the casual fan. What MIGHT bump them off their rock is cars that actually look like the ones on the street. In that regard both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide cars are jokes, silhouette cars. They may as well put a decal on a motorized box and call it a Ford/Chevy. Take the safety aspects of the COT and put it under a recognizable, distinct body more closely resembling a real car and the fans may have something to cheer for.

NASCAR has followed the NBA model of personality driven participants. It doesn't matter what they drive. The other problem is the that the drivers are bland (except Smoke-bless his heart). When I remember that there even IS a race, I might watch the first and last 20 laps and that's about it. And if I don't remember, I don't care.

Last edited by junkman9096; 5/27/13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 5/28/13, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

NASCAR racing could become more relevant if the auto makers had to race the engine and body they sell at their dealerships. NASCAR could adjust the weight for each model to make the racing more competitive instead of having each company build an engine to NASCAR specs.
Old 6/21/13, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NASCAR hasn't held my interest since Bill Elliot and the Ford Aerobirds. That was NASCAR's last moment of greatness. I was a fan from the Pearson/Petty days too. And I agree, the Chase is stupid.