'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Shelby to stick around

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/12, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang_Man
Uranus Hertz.
What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?

They both circle Uranus and wipe out Klingons.

Old 4/15/12, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang

dude you have no clue.. shelby rented his name for a fat check.. do not be fooled. He is a money hungry old SOB. Ford didnt need bail out money because the fusion and other models were making a great bottom line. The camaro is out sellign the mustang like 1.6 to 1 and thats simple facts. The mustang even with "shelbys name" is not out sellign the camaro.. must be a fluke..

btw some of use have had shelbys and been to vegas and talked with scott and toured the vegas shops.
I think you're forgetting that the GT500 is Shelby's and did build them. Ford wanted to make more money on them, so they took over production completely in 68. Just because Ford "now" builds them doesn't mean the GT500 is no longer Shelby's. If it has GT500 on it, Shelby's name belongs on it and the Cobra that he made famous.
Old 4/15/12, 01:35 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
And here we go again.
Old 4/15/12, 01:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You do realise every time we mention HIS name, TMS has to pay him a dollar
Old 4/15/12, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
You do realise every time we mention HIS name, TMS has to pay him a dollar
Adrian's? LOL
Old 4/15/12, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?

They both circle Uranus and wipe out Klingons.

Lol...you got an eye-roll from my wife so you're good in my book.
Old 4/15/12, 03:30 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Lol...you got an eye-roll from my wife so you're good in my book.

That joke never gets old for me.
Old 4/15/12, 03:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Why? Are you not capable of communicating it yourself? Sounds like you hate the guy for...making money. Pretty sure your daily routine doesn't involve him or his name in the least. That leaves jealousy. Considering his name is on the best mustang ford makes and yours is on your driver's license, that's about the only reason that makes sense from your perspective. I guess that makes you green, just not GHIG.
I owned a shelby.. all the good parts on the car were ford racing.. I stated some of the sort comings of the man. Its not my job to teach the sheep. some fo us have work to do in life.

"jealousy"... really??? Guess im jealous of hitler because I am not a big fan of him either.

Old 4/15/12, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by McNassty
You guy are the type that would say that the light bulb would eventually be here even if Thomas Edison didn't invent it. The man came up with techniques that created how to make horsepower and torque and you just want to blow him off because your car costs more because of the badge. Don't buy it, just buy the GT and mod it but don't get all bent out of shape cause the guy that paid more for the Shelby is getting more *** than you
You're correct. If Edison hadn't done it, someone else would've. Everyone that ever invented something important either barely beat someone else to it, or stole it from someone that already beat them to it. I'm not sure what you're arguement with me is?...I've already stated that I don't own one and I don't plan to.
Originally Posted by McNassty
Just because Ford decided to ***** his name out isn't his fault. His name is probably why Ford didn't need a government check like GM and why the Mustang did not 'disappear' like the Camaro. He got turned down by GM in the '60's by GM cause they wanted to pimp out the 'vette and Ford threw their sponsorship behind him and he beat all of the imports(jag, Porsche, etc) and the 'vette. Everybody wants to whine because his brand of Mustang is more expensive and because he got old and yes he probably hasn't put a wrench on the new models but really would any of you blame him for taking money for a brand he helped build? Any one of you would love the chance to just get Ford to listen to your input and give you recognition. ****, hating on a man who helped make your car a name that makes other brands rethink their own brand is just silly.
Ummm, yeah it is his fault. They can't do it without his say so. Do you really think the Shelby badge saved Ford from a bailout??? Really?
Old 4/15/12, 06:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Do you really think the Shelby badge saved Ford from a bailout??? Really?
Oh hell I missed that part! My eyes were glazing over with this discussion as usual.

Yeah Mulally's refi/leverage/re-invest for the future plan in 2006 - years before the Great Implosion - when even the Fed thought things were sailing along fine - were irrelevant. They only made it cause of Shelby badges.
Old 4/15/12, 08:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Oh hell I missed that part! My eyes were glazing over with this discussion as usual.

Yeah Mulally's refi/leverage/re-invest for the future plan in 2006 - years before the Great Implosion - when even the Fed thought things were sailing along fine - were irrelevant. They only made it cause of Shelby badges.
Old 4/15/12, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
What the hell, I'll throw in some more of my opinion too.

I love Shelby; he's one of the most important people in American racing history and he's had an absolutely incredible career. There wouldn't be a Cobra without him and who knows where Ford/American racing would be. However, I have a hard time thinking he's very involved in the current GT-500; yes, he probably drives it and offers a comment or two, but I think Hau Thai-Tang is more involved than Shelby at this point. However, with only the above in mind, I'd still be fine with Shelby's name being on it.

However, like most of you, I remember when SVT was a true division at Ford, alongside the M division of BMW and before the explosion of similar divisions here in the US like AMG, SRT, V-Series, etc. They had three very different cars - the SVT Mustang Cobra, the SVT Contour and the SVT Lightning. They later produced the **** good SVT Focus as well, then got shut down for some reason (John Coletti's retirement?).

Now, SVT has produced the SVT Raptor, which is an incredible vehicle. They should get credit for the GT-500. Ideally, they'd also be working on the upcoming ST Focus, some variant of the Fiesta, the SHO Taurus, etc. I'd like SVT to be right there with SRT and the other divisions making a lot of noise. No, people don't know the SVT name very well and that's Ford's fault for not promoting it and killing it right when it was becoming a name around 2004.

That's my opinion at least.
Old 4/16/12, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flagstang you make it sound as if Shelby should have denied having his name put on the GT500. If Ford asked you to have your name on a car today that you made famous in the 60's, you mean to tell me that you would tell them no you want nothing to do with it? Really?

And so far about 90% of the people I have seen bash the Shelby is people who are either jealous they don't have one or just plain can't afford a Shelby today. So they have to down the car and their owners as much as possible to make themselves feel good and make their owners feel like they bought a stupid car. And that includes people in local clubs to people on the forums. Isn't it still a Mustang? I have never seen so many Mustang enthusiasts cry about having a Shelby as a top Mustang. Even when I didn't have one I loved them. And if you can't afford it or just don't want one, you don't have to put the brand down all the time. There is more hatred coming from GT and V6 owners to Shelby owners then there is coming from Shelby owners to GT and V6 owners.

And Kylerohde, SVT's name is on the GT500 in several places. But the GT500 has always been known as a Shelby GT500 not a SVT GT500. Yes SVT did do awesome work with the car. And yes with some input from Carroll Shelby. Now I'm saying he built the car so relax people. Just input. The would happen even if Carroll didn't give any input but would it be at the level it is today? How do we know the car wouldn't have maybe 500 hp today? We don't. So nobody really knows where the car would be or how much it would cost if it didn't have the Shelby emblems on it.

Last edited by 05mustangman; 4/16/12 at 12:36 AM.
Old 4/16/12, 12:49 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I am not saying his anme should not be on the car. I am saying it would be a better car if it did not have his name. The cobra has a name and a great one in the cobra brand and name that shelby brought up. I think most people would prefer the cobra branding rather then the shelby name. I would love to say "heres my new cobra! I heard shelby had a hand in it".. but in stead his name is on 100% and its 100% simple marketing and I get it. Doesnt mean I have to like it.

Keep in mind people have strong feelings on the issue because its the face our mustang families top end. Its the top end thats why I bought one and tryed it out. I felt silly explaining to people that shelby wasnt some girls name and it was mostly loaded with ford racing gear.

I mainly feel his name and the branding do not make it a better car. I know its silly but I think the contract money being paid to the old man would either make for a better car or a cheaper one. chevy doesnt need the name on the back of the maro to sell units nor does it need a name other then cars name to prove its self.
Old 4/16/12, 12:50 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 05mustangman
Flagstang you make it sound as if Shelby should have denied having his name put on the GT500. If Ford asked you to have your name on a car today that you made famous in the 60's, you mean to tell me that you would tell them no you want nothing to do with it? Really?

And so far about 90% of the people I have seen bash the Shelby is people who are either jealous they don't have one or just plain can't afford a Shelby today. So they have to down the car and their owners as much as possible to make themselves feel good and make their owners feel like they bought a stupid car. And that includes people in local clubs to people on the forums. Isn't it still a Mustang? I have never seen so many Mustang enthusiasts cry about having a Shelby as a top Mustang. Even when I didn't have one I loved them. And if you can't afford it or just don't want one, you don't have to put the brand down all the time. There is more hatred coming from GT and V6 owners to Shelby owners then there is coming from Shelby owners to GT and V6 owners.

And Kylerohde, SVT's name is on the GT500 in several places. But the GT500 has always been known as a Shelby GT500 not a SVT GT500. Yes SVT did do awesome work with the car. And yes with some input from Carroll Shelby. Now I'm saying he built the car so relax people. Just input. The would happen even if Carroll didn't give any input but would it be at the level it is today? How do we know the car wouldn't have maybe 500 hp today? We don't. So nobody really knows where the car would be or how much it would cost if it didn't have the Shelby emblems on it.
I think we should hang out and have a beer
Old 4/16/12, 01:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I am not saying his anme should not be on the car. I am saying it would be a better car if it did not have his name. The cobra has a name and a great one in the cobra brand and name that shelby brought up. I think most people would prefer the cobra branding rather then the shelby name. I would love to say "heres my new cobra! I heard shelby had a hand in it".. but in stead his name is on 100% and its 100% simple marketing and I get it. Doesnt mean I have to like it.

Keep in mind people have strong feelings on the issue because its the face our mustang families top end. Its the top end thats why I bought one and tryed it out. I felt silly explaining to people that shelby wasnt some girls name and it was mostly loaded with ford racing gear.

I mainly feel his name and the branding do not make it a better car. I know its silly but I think the contract money being paid to the old man would either make for a better car or a cheaper one. chevy doesnt need the name on the back of the maro to sell units nor does it need a name other then cars name to prove its self.

Oh no trust I don't believe just having his name on the car makes it better than any other Mustang. That's why I have changed just about everything on the car short of new brakes and an upgraded supercharger. I still talk to a ton of people today that have no clue what a Shelby is. Yes there is a huge following for the Cobra's and I have thought about picking one up for a long time. I got an SVT Lightning and absolutely LOVE it!
Old 4/16/12, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

We all should be thankfull Shelby has his name on the GT500. As long as Shelby has his name on the GT500, he will ensure the GT500 has more horsepower than the competition. The GT500 does not have to have any parts from Shelby America to be a Shelby GT500. All the GT500 needs is to have approval from Shelby that the GT500 is powerfull enough to satisfy him.
Old 4/16/12, 10:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
We all should be thankfull Shelby has his name on the GT500. As long as Shelby has his name on the GT500, he will ensure the GT500 has more horsepower than the competition. The GT500 does not have to have any parts from Shelby America to be a Shelby GT500. All the GT500 needs is to have approval from Shelby that the GT500 is powerfull enough to satisfy him.
I'm sure that competition has put the GT500's hp where it is now, not Shelby.
Old 4/16/12, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I'm sure that competition has put the GT500's hp where it is now, not Shelby.
I think it's just evolution. 500hp 550hp 650hp
Old 4/16/12, 11:15 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I think it's just evolution. 500hp 550hp 650hp
Guided by the creator.

Quick Reply: Shelby to stick around