Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Shelby to stick around

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/12, 04:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly one reason why I do not post here very often but just read the threads. Because every thread no matter what topic it is seems to turn into an SVT VS. Shelby pissing match and see who hates Shelby the most. And you know who you are and there are plenty of people who only assume what it is that Shelby himself does. I'm not sticking up for him because he does not need anyone to do that. I think his resume and whole career speaks for itself. And the people who claim they know that Shelby is only there for marketing, oh man you guys can't be anymore wrong. You guys probably know nothing about him or the company and what goes on behind closed doors. Not by any means saying I do because I don't directly know. I'm just saying that believe me, Carroll Shelby has WAY more to do with the development of the GT500 than people think.

And again, I'm not sure why every thread here immediately turns into the hail SVT and Shelby does nothing thread, but its very sad.

That being said, I hope people don't get totally outraged that someone says there is nothing wrong with Shelby.

And for the people saying Shelby is causing markups and that you want SVT back, do you really think Ford dealers wouldn't markup the newest and baddest Mustang even if it wasn't label Shelby? Doesn't matter if the top Mustang was a Mach1 or Boss right now those would have markups as well. And didn't the Bosses have markups on them for quite awhile? Blasphemy! We gotta got rid of the Boss name now!!!!

Last edited by 05mustangman; 4/12/12 at 04:58 AM.
Old 4/12/12, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05mustangman
This is exactly one reason why I do not post here very often but just read the threads. Because every thread no matter what topic it is seems to turn into an SVT VS. Shelby pissing match and see who hates Shelby the most. And you know who you are and there are plenty of people who only assume what it is that Shelby himself does. I'm not sticking up for him because he does not need anyone to do that. I think his resume and whole career speaks for itself. And the people who claim they know that Shelby is only there for marketing, oh man you guys can't be anymore wrong. You guys probably know nothing about him or the company and what goes on behind closed doors. Not by any means saying I do because I don't directly know. I'm just saying that believe me, Carroll Shelby has WAY more to do with the development of the GT500 than people think.

And again, I'm not sure why every thread here immediately turns into the hail SVT and Shelby does nothing thread, but its very sad.

That being said, I hope people don't get totally outraged that someone says there is nothing wrong with Shelby.

And for the people saying Shelby is causing markups and that you want SVT back, do you really think Ford dealers wouldn't markup the newest and baddest Mustang even if it wasn't label Shelby? Doesn't matter if the top Mustang was a Mach1 or Boss right now those would have markups as well. And didn't the Bosses have markups on them for quite awhile? Blasphemy! We gotta got rid of the Boss name now!!!!
Dealer markup and higher msrp are different things.
Old 4/12/12, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it bothers you that much, then continue to not post...

Common sense says that he has absolutely nothing to do with the GT500. It's designed and built by Ford, and his name is only on it for marketing. Why is that so hard to understand?

There will always be dealer markups, but paying to use the "Shelby" name WILL increase costs...*FACT*.
Old 4/12/12, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

My .02
I bought a Shelby GT500. I love the car. I don't like the name Shelby on the rear. Hmmm, so I took it off problem solved. AMAZING
Old 4/12/12, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
oh yea your absolutely right. But there are people complaining about both. In those senses people should be complaining nonstop about Roush and honestly the Mustang GT is just about getting to the point of the GT500 pricing. The Boss Laguna Seca isn't too far off either.

And stupidgenious, you say it's common sense that he is only for advertising? Why exactly is it common sense? I would love for you to show exactly how he had nothing to do with the car. If it wasn't for him working with Ford the car would be nowhere near where it is now. Yes Ford did make everything on the car BUT Shelby had a ton of input on the car. Yes he is not building the cars himself but at his age do you seriously expect him too? I don't why everyone is SO concerned about what it is he does. I suggest you do a little research before stating what you say is common sense because you obviously really have no idea. And yes the Shelby name will bring more money because as stated before it is a premium brand that will have high quality parts. Not saying stock parts but parts you can buy from Shelby. But now you should be able to get a GT500 for sticker or lower. If your still paying an adm at your dealer, you need to go somewhere else. And if its just prices your complaining about, than Ford Racing should be out of reach too. Their not exactly the cheapest either. And with these cars why put on the cheapest quality parts? Do it right the first time with high quality parts which yes you will need to pay more for.

And not a case of anything bothering me it's just that it is sad to come here and see every thread do nothing but turn into bashing contests. I love coming here and getting a good laugh watching people bash each other and say they are right and everyone else is stupid. It is good entertainment. But even with a good thread you can't come here and have a decent conversation without someone calling someone else out and bashing them about what they post or anything. But then again, that's just my .02

Last edited by 05mustangman; 4/12/12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 4/12/12, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to have both regardless if Shelby is on the rear or just the Cobras on the side that he made famous.
Old 4/12/12, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
You're going to have both regardless if Shelby is on the rear or just the Cobras on the side that he made famous.
Absolutely right thank you. That's the point is that it does not matter what is on the car whether it be Shelby, SVT Cobra, Mach1, Boss, whatever premium model it is, Ford dealers will take advantage of it.
Old 4/12/12, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The statement I made earlier was in reference to higher msrp. I don't care about dealer mark up. I will not pay it ever. That's easier to get around than msrp.
Old 4/12/12, 05:22 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
The statement I made earlier was in reference to higher msrp. I don't care about dealer mark up. I will not pay it ever. That's easier to get around than msrp.
Does anyone know how much higher MSRP is because it has Shelby on it? Just curious, people throw around all kinds of figures and assumptions, but does anyone know just how much money Ford pays Shelby to use the name on these cars?
Old 4/12/12, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
And stupidgenious, you say it's common sense that he is only for advertising? Why exactly is it common sense? I would love for you to show exactly how he had nothing to do with the car. If it wasn't for him working with Ford the car would be nowhere near where it is now. Yes Ford did make everything on the car BUT Shelby had a ton of input on the car. Yes he is not building the cars himself but at his age do you seriously expect him too? I don't why everyone is SO concerned about what it is he does. I suggest you do a little research before stating what you say is common sense because you obviously really have no idea. And yes the Shelby name will bring more money because as stated before it is a premium brand that will have high quality parts. Not saying stock parts but parts you can buy from Shelby. But now you should be able to get a GT500 for sticker or lower. If your still paying an adm at your dealer, you need to go somewhere else. And if its just prices your complaining about, than Ford Racing should be out of reach too. Their not exactly the cheapest either. And with these cars why put on the cheapest quality parts? Do it right the first time with high quality parts which yes you will need to pay more for.

And not a case of anything bothering me it's just that it is sad to come here and see every thread do nothing but turn into bashing contests. I love coming here and getting a good laugh watching people bash each other and say they are right and everyone else is stupid. It is good entertainment. But even with a good thread you can't come here and have a decent conversation without someone calling someone else out and bashing them about what they post or anything. But then again, that's just my .02
Just think about...He's an old man. He's just collecting a paycheck. Why *WOULD* he have anything to do with the car??? All he has to do is sit back and get paid. Ford isn't paying him for work, they're paying for his name. You really think the car is lightyears ahead of what it would be without Shelby??? You're just ****in' with me now, right? Ford/SVT has an entire team of engineers/designers/etc that know more about *every* aspect of automobiles than Shelby...So, what exactly leads you to believe that he's god and had a hand in every aspect of the car?

There's no research to be done...That's why it's common sense. Use a little logic...it goes a long way.

There's not anymore "quality parts" on the GT500 than there are on the base V6 models. "Quality parts" are the ones you replace your ****ty stock parts with.

There's a lot more members here now than there were back in the day, and with that comes a lot more dumbasses. But there's still plenty of good conversation to be had.
Old 4/12/12, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Just think about...He's an old man. He's just collecting a paycheck. Why *WOULD* he have anything to do with the car??? All he has to do is sit back and get paid. Ford isn't paying him for work, they're paying for his name. You really think the car is lightyears ahead of what it would be without Shelby??? You're just ****in' with me now, right? Ford/SVT has an entire team of engineers/designers/etc that know more about *every* aspect of automobiles than Shelby...So, what exactly leads you to believe that he's god and had a hand in every aspect of the car?

There's no research to be done...That's why it's common sense. Use a little logic...it goes a long way.

There's not anymore "quality parts" on the GT500 than there are on the base V6 models. "Quality parts" are the ones you replace your ****ty stock parts with.

There's a lot more members here now than there were back in the day, and with that comes a lot more dumbasses. But there's still plenty of good conversation to be had.

Yea he is an old man but he has been involved with the development of the cars. And yea it is sad that some parts on the GT500 can be found on the V6's. And that's what I mean is by replacing your stock parts with the quality ones that Shelby sells from the Shelby Store. Some of those parts are Extremely nice.

And that's funny I never said he was God and had a hand in every aspect of the car. He definitely helped with the suspension and power aspects of the car. That's what Shelby is about, Power and good handling. And you can't say the same suspension and power can be found on other model Mustangs because it isn't. That's all I was saying is that he did have a hand in creating the car. Just giving input on what kind of power to put out or what suspension he wants the car to have. Ford listened and took input from what he had to say.
Old 4/12/12, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

hmm, I still don't have solid proof that there shelby's cost more than cobras due directly to the shelby name but I do believe this should help some.

(all prices listed below are base prices)

2003 SVT Cobra $33460
2003 Mustang GT $23705
Cobra costs about $10000 more

2007 Shelby GT500 $40930
2007 Mustang GT $25695
Shelby costs about $15000 more

2011 Shelby GT500 $48900
2011 Mustang GT $29800
Shelby costs about $18000 more

2013 Shelby GT500 $54200
2013 Mustang GT $30300
Shelby costs about $24000 more

Seems to me there is about a $5000 premium over the Cobra. I don't believe that these parts that are used on the Shelby's warrant such a large price increase. From Shelby to Shelby I can comprehend but not from SVT to Shelby.

AGAIN, I do realize that this is NOT solid evidence but I these numbers are undeniable and shows a price jump when moving to the Shelby
Old 4/12/12, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't hate the guy by any means, but there are less expensive parts that are just as reliable and powerful to be used that would yield similar results
Old 4/12/12, 07:27 PM
Banned

hmm, I still don't have solid proof that there shelby's cost more than cobras due directly to the shelby name but I do believe this should help some.

(all prices listed below are base prices)

2003 SVT Cobra $33460
2003 Mustang GT $23705
Cobra costs about $10000 more

2007 Shelby GT500 $40930
2007 Mustang GT $25695
Shelby costs about $15000 more

2011 Shelby GT500 $48900
2011 Mustang GT $29800
Shelby costs about $18000 more

2013 Shelby GT500 $54200
2013 Mustang GT $30300
Shelby costs about $24000 more

Seems to me there is about a $5000 premium over the Cobra. I don't believe that these parts that are used on the Shelby's warrant such a large price increase. From Shelby to Shelby I can comprehend but not from SVT to Shelby.

AGAIN, I do realize that this is NOT solid evidence but I these numbers are undeniable and shows a price jump when moving to the Shelby
The 5.4 engine with blower is $23,000 from ford racing. That has nothing to do with Shelby.
Old 4/12/12, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

The 5.4 engine with blower is $23,000 from ford racing. That has nothing to do with Shelby.
23000 is what they will sell it to you for, not how much it costs them to make and install
Old 4/12/12, 07:31 PM
Banned

23000 is what they will sell it to you for, not how much it costs them to make and install
Exactly my point
Old 4/12/12, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Now subtract the cost of the gt motor as well. Plus that wasn't a new motor by any means. It had been used in the f150's for almost a decade before that too
Old 4/12/12, 07:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea he is an old man but he has been involved with the development of the cars. And yea it is sad that some parts on the GT500 can be found on the V6's. And that's what I mean is by replacing your stock parts with the quality ones that Shelby sells from the Shelby Store. Some of those parts are Extremely nice.

And that's funny I never said he was God and had a hand in every aspect of the car. He definitely helped with the suspension and power aspects of the car. That's what Shelby is about, Power and good handling. And you can't say the same suspension and power can be found on other model Mustangs because it isn't. That's all I was saying is that he did have a hand in creating the car. Just giving input on what kind of power to put out or what suspension he wants the car to have. Ford listened and took input from what he had to say.
you people are nuts and need to get real. Shelby has never turned a wrench on the new gt500. You really do not think his names increases the cost of the car??? where do you think the royalty check money comes from? Thats handed down to us.. FACT.. The 03-04 cobra would of been more money with the shelby stick ons. Shelby never touched the gt500. Ford came to the man with a ready made car and handed him a check. The only true shelby is a sgt because it went to vegas and was modded by the garage the old man owns. I know this because I owned a SGT and went to vegas. The svt guys built and setup the power plant and the suspension of the car. I know this because I went and talked to the shelby shop guys in person when I was in vegas. If you do not know things do not post them as "well it could happen".. its crap misinformation and people should not be wasting time on it.

posting costs also is silly because they have price points they have to stay in. If you do not think removing the shelby name from the cobras would either remove some of the cost or increase the money to be spent on the car you are not seeing this from a business point of view which is the real point of view to take.
Old 4/12/12, 07:59 PM
Banned

Now subtract the cost of the gt motor as well. Plus that wasn't a new motor by any means. It had been used in the f150's for almost a decade before that too
Not the same motor
Old 4/12/12, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang

you people are nuts and need to get real. Shelby has never turned a wrench on the new gt500. You really do not think his names increases the cost of the car??? where do you think the royalty check money comes from? Thats handed down to us.. FACT.. The 03-04 cobra would of been more money with the shelby stick ons. Shelby never touched the gt500. Ford came to the man with a ready made car and handed him a check. The only true shelby is a sgt because it went to vegas and was modded by the garage the old man owns. I know this because I owned a SGT and went to vegas. The svt guys built and setup the power plant and the suspension of the car. I know this because I went and talked to the shelby shop guys in person when I was in vegas. If you do not know things do not post them as "well it could happen".. its crap misinformation and people should not be wasting time on it.

posting costs also is silly because they have price points they have to stay in. If you do not think removing the shelby name from the cobras would either remove some of the cost or increase the money to be spent on the car you are not seeing this from a business point of view which is the real point of view to take.
...and if you think the vehicle MSRP will drop $1.00 you're crazy.

Quick Reply: Shelby to stick around