Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Shelby to stick around

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/12, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm old school. I wouldn't have been as interested in the GT500 if it wasn't a GT500. If this meant it also had to have the Shelby name, then so be it.

I even have a fondness for the sequential Cougar tailights that were used in the 1967 Shelby, whereas I've owned a Cougar for the past 25 years.
Old 4/14/12, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Shelby has been more involved in the increase of the horsepower in the GT500 than most realize. The SVT engineers can wring as much horsepower as they want out of the GT500, but without the support of Shelby,the higher horsepower GT500 wll not be produced for the street. Shelby has his name on the car and can use his name to persuade the product planners at Ford to permit the sale of higher horsepower GT500s. Shelby wants cars with his name to have more horsepower than the competition. Historically, Ford has not been so willing to offer cars with more horsepower than the competition.
Old 4/14/12, 11:41 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Strip all the badges and nameplates and just give me the mother****ing car. It's about the car and not the old man for me. That name on that car doesn't mean a rats *** to me. And if it does mean something to you then more power to you.

I love the people who post and say we assume too much that Shelby has no real involvement with the car. Well I think you ASSume too much when you think that he does. Now prove otherwise.

What a bunch of babies. Why do we have forums? To educate the ignorant. So it looks like my job will be safe for a long long time.
Old 4/14/12, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Strip all the badges and nameplates and just give me the mother****ing car. It's about the car and not the old man for me. That name on that car doesn't mean a rats *** to me. And if it does mean something to you then more power to you.

I love the people who post and say we assume too much that Shelby has no real involvement with the car. Well I think you ASSume too much when you think that he does. Now prove otherwise.

What a bunch of babies. Why do we have forums? To educate the ignorant. So it looks like my job will be safe for a long long time.
:Imapunchuinaface:
Old 4/14/12, 11:50 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I think Shelby has been more involved in the increase of the horsepower in the GT500 than most realize. The SVT engineers can wring as much horsepower as they want out of the GT500, but without the support of Shelby,the higher horsepower GT500 wll not be produced for the street. Shelby has his name on the car and can use his name to persuade the product planners at Ford to permit the sale of higher horsepower GT500s. Shelby wants cars with his name to have more horsepower than the competition. Historically, Ford has not been so willing to offer cars with more horsepower than the competition.
Shelby has his version...and it costs $200K.

Again, he has *nothing* to do with Ford's version. Accept it.
Old 4/14/12, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Shelby has his version...and it costs $200K.

Again, he has *nothing* to do with Ford's version. Accept it.
Don't be pulling that out of your butt now, especially when there is a SS.
Old 4/14/12, 11:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Would there really be a Cobra unless Ford got help from Shelby, no. So I think Shelby deserves all the royalties he deserves, he created the brand and name and also the performance. If it wasn't for him they're wouldn't be a Cobra. The line would stop at the Boss. And all the Boss owners would love being able to be top cars but their not. So let the old man make some money in his old age. He did enough in his younger years to be able to just lay back and look at a blueprint and say 'yay' or 'neigh' on parts now.
Old 4/15/12, 12:01 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

the svt gargae is the one handling all the parts going on the car. Shelby just gets a check and asks them to put stripes on the car. Unless you have been to vegas and talked with people from shelby you should STFU..
Old 4/15/12, 12:01 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Don't be pulling that out of your butt now, especially when there is a SS.
Pulling what out? Shelby has his version...it's a rim/stripe/pulley package with over a 5X markup. My point still stands...he has nothing to do with Ford's version, and that's all there is to it.
Originally Posted by McNassty
Would there really be a Cobra unless Ford got help from Shelby, no. So I think Shelby deserves all the royalties he deserves, he created the brand and name and also the performance. If it wasn't for him they're wouldn't be a Cobra. The line would stop at the Boss. And all the Boss owners would love being able to be top cars but their not. So let the old man make some money in his old age. He did enough in his younger years to be able to just lay back and look at a blueprint and say 'yay' or 'neigh' on parts now.
Yes. It may not be called a "Cobra", but the variant would definitely still exist. That's like saying we'd never strive to improve, if it weren't for him.
Old 4/15/12, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Pulling what out? Shelby has his version...it's a rim/stripe/pulley package with over a 5X markup. My point still stands...he has nothing to do with Ford's version, and that's all there is to it.

Yes. It may not be called a "Cobra", but the variant would definitely still exist. That's like saying we'd never strive to improve, if it weren't for him.
Fair enough but don't use the 1000 as your point of view when you know they sell the super snake option for a lot less.
Old 4/15/12, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

You guy are the type that would say that the light bulb would eventually be here even if Thomas Edison didn't invent it. The man came up with techniques that created how to make horsepower and torque and you just want to blow him off because your car costs more because of the badge. Don't buy it, just buy the GT and mod it but don't get all bent out of shape cause the guy that paid more for the Shelby is getting more *** than you
Old 4/15/12, 01:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Fair enough but don't use the 1000 as your point of view when you know they sell the super snake option for a lot less.
Just because Ford decided to ***** his name out isn't his fault. His name is probably why Ford didn't need a government check like GM and why the Mustang did not 'disappear' like the Camaro. He got turned down by GM in the '60's by GM cause they wanted to pimp out the 'vette and Ford threw their sponsorship behind him and he beat all of the imports(jag, Porsche, etc) and the 'vette. Everybody wants to whine because his brand of Mustang is more expensive and because he got old and yes he probably hasn't put a wrench on the new models but really would any of you blame him for taking money for a brand he helped build? Any one of you would love the chance to just get Ford to listen to your input and give you recognition. ****, hating on a man who helped make your car a name that makes other brands rethink their own brand is just silly.
Old 4/15/12, 01:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, my car might be a SVT but I would be honored to have Carroll Shelby sign my car. And I would put money down that every SVT mechanic would shut up and sit down just to hear that old man ramble about cars. Maybe to just glean the smallest info that may point them in the thought that may make their dreams into production. You guys forget that the smallest 'dumb' idea may take our world into the next new generation
Old 4/15/12, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I still haven't heard anyone tell me why the guy deserves this much angst. Lots of energy spent on hating a guy for no apparent reason.
Old 4/15/12, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I still haven't heard anyone tell me why the guy deserves this much angst. Lots of energy spent on hating a guy for no apparent reason.
There are two sides to every story.

I appreciate what Carroll Shelby did for the Mustang image. He was an accomplished road racing DRIVER before he ever got into modifying cars as a business. If it were not for his heart condition he may have achieved far more than most other drivers during his era. As it was, he still earned a world driving championship before retiring as a driver. The AC Cobra two seat roadster was his first car with a Ford drivetrain. Shelby American's drivers beat the best in road racing with those cars. At the time Ford asked him to help give the 1965 Mustang a performance image his name meant something in the performance industry. Today Ford puts a lot of emphasis on the history of the Mustang. Whether some people like it or not, the largest segment of our population with the highest amount of disposable income is made up of people who probably owned or at least wanted a Mustang when they were still in high school in the 60s. The Shelby Mustang was the top of the line then just as it is today even if Carroll no longer has much personal input.

However, Mr. Shelby has done some things that make me question where his priorities are now. For example, I have a hard time justifying all the lawsuits he has filed over the years against kit car manufacturers for making replicas of the two seat Cobra roadster. At what point can you claim the rights to a body that YOU imported from a British manufacturer (AC)? If they tried to use the Cobra name that might be one thing, but to sue someone over the use of a body that you didn't even design yourself?
Old 4/15/12, 11:24 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by McNassty
Just because Ford decided to ***** his name out isn't his fault. His name is probably why Ford didn't need a government check like GM and why the Mustang did not 'disappear' like the Camaro. He got turned down by GM in the '60's by GM cause they wanted to pimp out the 'vette and Ford threw their sponsorship behind him and he beat all of the imports(jag, Porsche, etc) and the 'vette. Everybody wants to whine because his brand of Mustang is more expensive and because he got old and yes he probably hasn't put a wrench on the new models but really would any of you blame him for taking money for a brand he helped build? Any one of you would love the chance to just get Ford to listen to your input and give you recognition. ****, hating on a man who helped make your car a name that makes other brands rethink their own brand is just silly.
dude you have no clue.. shelby rented his name for a fat check.. do not be fooled. He is a money hungry old SOB. Ford didnt need bail out money because the fusion and other models were making a great bottom line. The camaro is out sellign the mustang like 1.6 to 1 and thats simple facts. The mustang even with "shelbys name" is not out sellign the camaro.. must be a fluke..

btw some of use have had shelbys and been to vegas and talked with scott and toured the vegas shops.

Old 4/15/12, 11:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
you need to read more to understand why people do not like the man. Hes money hungry.. he sues everything that moves.. he over charges(read about the kr hood).. come on get with the program.
Old 4/15/12, 12:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
you need to read more to understand why people do not like the man. Hes money hungry.. he sues everything that moves.. he over charges(read about the kr hood).. come on get with the program.
Why? Are you not capable of communicating it yourself? Sounds like you hate the guy for...making money. Pretty sure your daily routine doesn't involve him or his name in the least. That leaves jealousy. Considering his name is on the best mustang ford makes and yours is on your driver's license, that's about the only reason that makes sense from your perspective. I guess that makes you green, just not GHIG.
Old 4/15/12, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Uranus Hertz.
Old 4/15/12, 01:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
shelby rented his name for a fat check..
Oh hell I'd take some of that action right now for my name.

"And a name that is good it is. Yesss"

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/15/12 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Shelby to stick around