Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

My Turn for List of Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/10, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Turn for List of Problems!

I figured since I shouldn't hijack bpmurr's thread about his agony with Ford, I should just copy my OP into a new thread and see if I can get some feedback.

OP:

I too am having issues with my Cobra. You (bpmurr) listed seven (7) problems that you are having with yours. I am having four (4) of the same problem.

-- I got a chip in my left rear wheel lip during shipping. Still makes me mad when I wash her. Nothing I see that I can really do about it but complain to a group of online enthusiasts who can only sympathize.

-- My rear bumper is misaligned and it seems it moves more every bumpy road I go on. It's like it sticks out on the corners a little. At first it was only a milimeter or so. Now it's three or more milimeters. It's getting worse the more I drive her. I can't help the roads in FL suck. Is that my fault? If I'm going 70 down the interstate and it goes from a smooth blacktop to a rough, bumpy, pot-hole-ridden mess, what do they expect me to do? Stop driving on it by slamming on the breaks at 70MPH and move to the shoulder because it might make a factory mistake even worse under owners hands??? Yeah, that'll go over well...

--I've noticed noise coming from my rear when I'm turning. Soft or hard. Short turns or tight ones. Usually right, but sometime to the left as well. A buddy of mine noticed it too and he said he also thinks it's coming from the diff or axle.

--Now my biggest complaint, and it goes right along with yours. I just haven't had bad service, yet, because I haven't taken it in. I like to consider myself pretty good at driving a stick. Most men do, I assume. I think I have a really good subconscious sense of timing between my hands and my feet. As a matter of fact, except for the event I'm about to tell, I've honestly never, once, ground gears while driving a manual tranny. Never. Honest. I know, it's hard to believe. It's something I'm quite proud of. To the point... as a gift to myself, I asked my family (mom) to drive my Cobra up to the airport to get me when I went home from Afghanistan on R&R. I wanted driving it to be the first thing I did when I was home. They kindly did so. I stopped at the first (good quality) gas station before hitting the interstate back home. As I was pulling off the stop light and approaching the on-ramp, I shifted from 1st to 2nd and to my terror, a loud grinding, clunking noise came from the middle of the car. In my shock I noticed that I hadn't yet released the clutch and it was fully depressed to the floor. Those of you who have driven one know that the sweet spot is quite close to the top of the travel of the pedal and is pretty short. Therefore, the clutch is actually fully disengaged at only half travel on the pedal. I was shocked to say the least. I have never once heard a noise like that come from the gear box and didn't really know what to say or do. My buddy who takes care of her for me was in the back seat (my mom was in the front), and he said that it did it to him one time before while I was gone. That got me really nervous. He is a pretty good driver too I like to think. It didn't do it again the whole time I was home on R&R (two weeks, just got back Friday). The second part of this long story (forgive me) is the reverse gear. It has been doing this since I got it from the dealership. Every once in a while, when moving from neutral to reverse, maybe too fast, not sure, because I purposly take my time just to avoid this, it will feel hesitant to slip in and when it does, it clunks real loud. You can hear it pretty well outside the car. I really like the gear box in this car because it feels sure and solid and the kind of clicks when it hits the end of the gate just to let you know it's in. The clutch is fully disengaged at this point. So it's not the clutch here. It has to be the gear box. The only remedy I can come up with is to move from neutral, all the way right, hold it for a second or two, then move up against the shift gate wall. This seems to stop the clunking, but not the hesitancy to get there. The shift gates are pretty small in this tranny and I like that, but it seems as if the gate alignment is off a bit from the gear itself. Maybe this is a factory thing? Do these things move themselves? I don't know?

Any help or suggestions or even similar complaints will be greatly appreciated. You guys (and ladies) are awesome and we are the reason that Ford is still Ford. I just wish they would see this sometimes.

Last edited by Ice Hawk; 10/3/10 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10/3/10, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

--I've noticed noise coming from my rear when I'm turning. Soft or hard. Short turns or tight ones. Usually right, but sometime to the left as well. A buddy of mine noticed it too and he said he also thinks it's coming from the diff or axle.

I had the same noise with mine. I took it to the dealer who added some friction modifier to the diff fluid and the noise has been gone since.
Old 10/3/10, 08:26 AM
Banned

the guy who lives behind me had the same issue with his 08 Gt500. he had like 5000 miles on it. Its something to do with the clutchs in the rear.. they told him to run it harder. they get a polished finish on them and when u run it harder it scuffs it up..
Old 10/9/10, 02:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Given that your car was a good PR marketing move by Ford they should be all over it to help you. It would be pretty said if you can't even get help from them.