Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Lightening a 2012 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/11, 05:16 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
... As for you.....doesn't make much sense buying a 2nd Shelby with the redo for 2013 upcoming.
Really? Excuse me while I kiss myself.

You are right. The '13 will be upgraded, available, and more affordable than ever before for all working stiffs who want one. There will be a limitless production and Ford will allow no dealer premiums. It makes no sense whatsoever not to rely primarily on self impulse as the dominant factor as opposed to favoring a time consuming decision process. No need to disturb the brain cells when the hormones are having a party.

It is usually called being informed and content with the product, knowing one's taste and avoiding becoming infected with regret. There is perception and then there is reality that is why it is not very bright to subscribe being a guinea pig for Ford's testing grounds. Perhaps you have not noticed every time Ford introduces the best Mustang ever it winds up being short changed somehow or there will be more frequent service department visits, inconvenience, and disappointments which usually preceeds the eventual departure and closure of the particular chapter.

Why I selected proven performance and quality of the present over the projected and improved yet to be is beyond the capacity of any normal human being.
Old 10/8/11, 05:18 PM
BOSS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's not much more weight you can take off the front of a Shelby to make it faster on a road course. Actually, if you add a bit of weight in the trunk it will be slightly faster as it balances out the car and allows the power to be better utilized. Get a better heat exchanger to keep inlet temps under control with a TVS and you might stand a chance. But remember, the car is only part of the equation. Driver skill is way more important, more power is useless if you don't know how to handle it.
Old 10/8/11, 05:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
Really? Excuse me while I kiss myself.

You are right. The '13 will be upgraded, available, and more affordable than ever before for all working stiffs who want one. There will be a limitless production and Ford will allow no dealer premiums. It makes no sense whatsoever not to rely primarily on self impulse as the dominant factor as opposed to favoring a time consuming decision process. No need to disturb the brain cells when the hormones are having a party.

It is usually called being informed and content with the product, knowing one's taste and avoiding becoming infected with regret. There is perception and then there is reality that is why it is not very bright to subscribe being a guinea pig for Ford's testing grounds. Perhaps you have not noticed every time Ford introduces the best Mustang ever it winds up being short changed somehow or there will be more frequent service department visits, inconvenience, and disappointments which usually preceeds the eventual departure and closure of the particular chapter.

Why I selected proven performance and quality of the present over the projected and improved yet to be is beyond the capacity of any normal human being.
Hey, it's your money you can buy what you want, just like I can spend my money how I see fit and don't need to justify myself to someone on an internet forum.
You see how I set the trap and you fell right in. LOL!
Old 10/8/11, 08:40 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I sure did, Whammer. I've never been so humiliated in my life. Clearly the best man won. Please have mercy and do not link this thread to your many friends. I need not be further embarrassed. TIA!

And clearly you absorved the incomprehensible context and theme of my posts. Not only did you understand every point but rebuted them to perfection. As an olive branch gesture I offer my sincere congrats.

P.S. Please PM your address as I will add you to my Christmas list and mail you the oldest, most educational, best selling book the world has ever known.
Old 10/8/11, 10:51 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahdir
Is there a solution? Is a Dual Pass High Capacity Heat Exchanger enough, or would the Fans and Intercooler Reservior Tank be needed?
Not that I've found, it all seems to delay the inevitable, the only two things I havent seen are increasing the size of the blower using an underdrive and using a non-aqeuous coolant (Like Evans NPG or NPG-R) in the engine and heat exchanger (the engine side exchanger can get hot enough to vaporize the coolant and create steam pockets).

I plan on going the dual pass w/ fans route along with increased coolant capacity and non-aqeous coolant on my car along with a blower upgrade (TVS) all in the name of better managing the discharge temps (maybe even going back to the stock pulley).

Last edited by bob; 10/8/11 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10/9/11, 08:20 PM
GT Member

I'll probably replace my battery with a light weight optima style when my battery dies. That should save a few pounds...not sure if I'll notice...but it is the thought that counts!?
Old 10/10/11, 08:05 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Or go one better (although much more expensive) and get an automotive lithium battery. Even lighter than the Optima.
Old 10/10/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
Not that I've found, it all seems to delay the inevitable, the only two things I havent seen are increasing the size of the blower using an underdrive and using a non-aqeuous coolant (Like Evans NPG or NPG-R) in the engine and heat exchanger (the engine side exchanger can get hot enough to vaporize the coolant and create steam pockets).

I plan on going the dual pass w/ fans route along with increased coolant capacity and non-aqeous coolant on my car along with a blower upgrade (TVS) all in the name of better managing the discharge temps (maybe even going back to the stock pulley).
Thanks Bob
Old 10/13/11, 08:36 PM

Wheels can save a ton. I shaved 50lbs off mine with a set of TSW Interlagos wheels. Any of the muffler delete-axle back exhausts will save you another 25lbs. Aluminum driveshaft is another 25lbs. Battery and brake rotors another 20lbs.
Old 10/15/11, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GT500DB
Wheels can save a ton. I shaved 50lbs off mine with a set of TSW Interlagos wheels. Any of the muffler delete-axle back exhausts will save you another 25lbs. Aluminum driveshaft is another 25lbs. Battery and brake rotors another 20lbs.

What he said. I have a set of light weight Forgelines on order, I just replace my factory mufflers for a nice savings.

For heat soak contact Van at Revan Racing, he has a solutions that is a must for a track car with bigger blower. You should be able to get this car down in the 36xx lb range.
Old 10/16/11, 01:44 AM
GT Member

I was trying to figure out why everyone thinks the gt500 is so much heavier than the Boss. I was looking at the spec sheets and the gt500 uses a cast iron exhaust manifold (boss uses stainless headers) so you could drop some weight with headers. Gt500 also has dual catalytic converters but we probably need those to pass emissions laws. Other than that, both motors are all aluminum (5.4 vs 5.0) so only 400cc's difference...doubt that is much difference. Maybe the 5.4 has more mass since it is built to handle so much more power. Lets say alone they probably weigh about the same..then add a blower and inter-cooler plus the mass of that volume of coolant for the difference. That is about it. The power seats in my gt500 look heavy, you could probably find something light weight to replace those.
According to the spec sheets.
Gt: 3605 lbs
Boss: 3631 lbs
Boss LS: 3636 lbs
GT500: 3924 lbs

Those are all Ford "estimates" so there is about 300lbs difference. I dont know if the SVT-PP weighs less for using those forged wheels? They are larger??
Does the boss use a dual plate clutch too? I'd guess the mt82 weighs less than the tr6060.
Weight is weight though, My opinion is no matter where you loose it (up front or over the rear) it'll help it move easier and change directions faster. Just means if you disrupt the weight distribution it will take more care to keep it in line... but power to weight is better... Just the feelings and reactions near or at the limits will be different.
Old 10/16/11, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 944withnos
According to the spec sheets.
Gt: 3605 lbs
Boss: 3631 lbs
Boss LS: 3636 lbs
GT500: 3924 lbs

Those are all Ford "estimates" so there is about 300lbs difference. .....
How recent is that estimate on the weight? I don't think the aluminum motored GT500 weighs 300lbs more. Remember that might be for the older cast iron motor.
Old 10/17/11, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
How recent is that estimate on the weight? I don't think the aluminum motored GT500 weighs 300lbs more. Remember that might be for the older cast iron motor.
THe Shelby and Boss weights came from the sticky threads on this site. The second Shelby thread on this category has a pdf...last page or sobof the pdf. It is possible that the weights are old, they could have been lazy. Maybe I'll look for a truck scale and roll the GT500 across it!
Old 11/23/11, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

'12 GT500 source book has it listed at 3820lb, so 190lb more than the Boss.
Old 11/23/11, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My stock 500 weighed 3769 when I put it on a scale.
Old 11/24/11, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I have not looked under the hood of a GT500. Does the GT500 have the battery in the frontend or is it in the trunk ?
Old 11/24/11, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I have not looked under the hood of a GT500. Does the GT500 have the battery in the frontend or is it in the trunk ?
You're playing, right?
Old 11/25/11, 11:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 944withnos
Gt500 also has dual catalytic converters but we probably need those to pass emissions laws. .
Unless they've changed something, the GT500 just has two converters (unless it has twice the number of elements in the same shell), it doesn't have 4 converters in seperate shells.

Much to the chagrim of GM guys who loved to point out that previous Mustangs needed 4 cats because they were dirtier