Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Lightening a 2012 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 02:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightening a 2012 GT500

What is the lightest exhaust? Considering Borla ATAK mufflers, is there any weight savings to be had?

Will a rear seat delete from a Boss 302 LS work in a GT500?

Considering the BBS 18"x10" Boss 302R Wheels... other than 3/16 front spacers and larger lug nuts, any ideas on other requirements?

Kenne Bell upgrade... is there any weight savings to be had?

Any way to lower it? (has the SVT performance pack)
Old 10/5/11, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KB are heavy. Whipple is lighter.
Old 10/5/11, 10:04 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay, so I gotta ask? Why put the GT500 on a diet? IMO the rear seat delete is going the wrong way since your taking weight off right around where a GT500 needs it most, in the rear (even with the aluminum block, the GT500 doesn't exactly have an admirable F/R weight distribution).

Also if you want light weight exhaust, just go with a set of tips, I have the SLP Loudmouths and with the stock cats, loud it ain't unless your mashing the go pedal yet light weight.

And if you fancy road racing a GT500, your better off looking for a Boss. The GT500 has issues with the heat exchanger getting saturated, its supercharger adds weight up high and at the wrong end of the car making it less nimble (you would be compounding this with a light weight exhaust and rear seat delete)

The only area where the GT500 shines is in making gobs of power easily which gives it an edge for a lap or two on a course where it can stretch those powerful legs but given the long run, that same ability to make so much power is also its biggest handicap.

Honestly the GT500 is much better suited to being a street car and a drag racer more than anything else.
Old 10/6/11, 08:25 AM
Cobra R Member

This will be a daily driver that will see some time at Watkins Glen, NJMP & VIR against a 2011 BMW M3 sedan. The supercharger swap is to spank stock ZL-1s... I like the numbers on the 2.9L Twin Screw Whipple Supercharger. Will likely get it tuned @ Evolution Performance.

Last edited by Kahdir; 10/6/11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10/6/11, 12:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob

The GT500 has issues with the heat exchanger getting saturated,...

Is there a solution? Is a Dual Pass High Capacity Heat Exchanger enough, or would the Fans and Intercooler Reservior Tank be needed?
Old 10/6/11, 06:39 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I'd try first as stock and see how it goes. Mods are to adjust to the driver's talent on the track.

Ford gives a taste of high performance racing for amateur fun on the GT500 and Boss not serious corner carvers thus a balanced daily driver. Once modified for track use the comforts of daily driving goes out the window.

Now, for serious competition the Roush would likely be a better choice being more track oriented with the upgrades. End of the year left overs have traditionally carried high discounts which might make it an appealing choice.
Old 10/7/11, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Kahdir
This will be a daily driver that will see some time at Watkins Glen, NJMP & VIR against a 2011 BMW M3 sedan. The supercharger swap is to spank stock ZL-1s... I like the numbers on the 2.9L Twin Screw Whipple Supercharger. Will likely get it tuned @ Evolution Performance.

Watch the youtube video I posted of the ZL1....it's going to spank your GT500 BADLY. You'll be so embarrassed you'll want to sell it.
The only hope of beating the ZL1 is if Ford really brings everything to the table for the 2013 GT500.
Old 10/7/11, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer
Watch the youtube video I posted of the ZL1....it's going to spank your GT500 BADLY. You'll be so embarrassed you'll want to sell it...
That means you have been embarassed twice already and possibly a subsequent third time.

Your taste for your favorite Mustang is seasonal. It depends on your current flavor. A couple of years from now you'll be trashing the Boss as you did previously when you decided to upgrade your GT500 to a KR only to get rid of it to get the LS.

It is always circumstantial.
Old 10/7/11, 03:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
That means you have been embarassed twice already and possibly a subsequent third time.

Your taste for your favorite Mustang is seasonal. It depends on your current flavor. A couple of years from now you'll be trashing the Boss as you did previously when you decided to upgrade your GT500 to a KR only to get rid of it to get the LS.

You're way off.
I'm not trashing the GT500 and I've never said anything bad about my GT500 or my Super Snake.
But the ZL1 is a game changer.

To think you could tweak a current GT500 so that it trashing the ZL1 around a track is being complete ignorant of the opponent that you are facing. It's not a question of adding some HP and losing a little weight. The ZL1 going to be an absolute monster on the track or the drag strip.
Old 10/7/11, 03:43 PM
Cobra R Member

And I also don't trash Carrol Shelby at every turn and then continue to buy cars with his name on them. One has to wonder about that.
Old 10/7/11, 07:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whammer I think u maybe buying into the gm kool aid just a bit. That zl1 they ran at the ring wasn't even stock lol
Old 10/7/11, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Whammer I think u maybe buying into the gm kool aid just a bit. That zl1 they ran at the ring wasn't even stock lol
You really think they are going to produce a car that UNDER PERFORMS what was shown in that youtube video? That makes no sense at all.
We're not talking about mule here.
But believe what you wish, or what let's you sleep at night.
The bottom line still is that Ford better bring something more than a HP bump to the 2013 GT500.

I previously had no concerns about the ZL1 but that video showed me that GM is SERIOUS about making the ZL1 a world class car.
Old 10/7/11, 09:10 PM

And I also don't trash Carrol Shelby at every turn and then continue to buy cars with his name on them...
I have the best Ford offers without having an obsession or validation for or from Carroll Shelby. It's about the car's performance substance in the present not a nostalgic has been's resume. I trust SVT and could care less about notoriety. A name means little if a car falls short of its goals and advertised hoopla once it hits the pavement. If in doubt, visit your other favorite forum.
One has to wonder about that.
Someone very close to Shelby also wondered about my position for a long period of time then eventually conceeded in private I was right all along in all aspects of my frequent criticisms. I was proven correct by someone in the mix. That's the punch line, and a satisfying one at that.
Old 10/7/11, 09:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the best Ford offers without having an obsession or validation for or from Carroll Shelby. It's about the car's performance substance in the present not a nostalgic has been's resume. I trust SVT and could care less about notoriety. A name means little if a car falls short of its goals and advertised hoopla once it hits the pavement. If in doubt, visit your other favorite forum.

Someone very close to Shelby also wondered about my position for a long period of time then eventually conceeded in private I was right all along in all aspects of my frequent criticisms. I was proven correct by someone in the mix. That's the punch line, and a satisfying one at that.
Hmmm, a bitter EX employee is seldom a reliable source.

Re: your choice to drive a SHELBY. Must wear a little to drive a car with HIS name on it and be asked questions about the car and the "Man" everywhere you go when you don't like the "Man".
And calling Shelby a "has been" shows what a petty little man you are. He's accomplished far more than you have or ever will. I'm always amazed how internet forums are filled with so many experts and so many great people that no one has ever heard of and who have accomplished nothing more than struting around an internet forum filled with annonomous "nicknames".

Last edited by Whammer; 10/7/11 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10/7/11, 10:26 PM

...And calling Shelby a "has been" shows what a petty little man you are...

What would you call someone who all he talks about is the importance HP, who drops big bucks on a used car to increase the same only to find out he can not even handle it on deserted back roads never mentioning a track, meaning all the upgrades in the world does not do a meaningful thing with respect to driving skills or testing the car to its potential. The difference is I can drive my cars without fanfare, you showcase yours to fill an empty void.

You are an amateur and will always be one, and at the bottom of its food chain regardless of the car you drive proven by the fact you are not taken seriously. Not here, not at the Boss forum, not at any forum.
Old 10/8/11, 07:29 AM
Cobra R Member

What would you call someone who all he talks about is the importance HP, who drops big bucks on a used car to increase the same only to find out he can not even handle it on deserted back roads never mentioning a track, meaning all the upgrades in the world does not do a meaningful thing with respect to driving skills or testing the car to its potential. The difference is I can drive my cars without fanfare, you showcase yours to fill an empty void.

You are an amateur and will always be one, and at the bottom of its food chain regardless of the car you drive proven by the fact you are not taken seriously. Not here, not at the Boss forum, not at any forum.
Think what you want. The Super Snake was a great car and I loved. I had NO problem HANDLING the power. The problem was trying to stay LEGAL.
I could drive the speed limit and then give the car a quick hit on the gas pedal and suddenly I'm doing DOUBLE the speed limit.
It was only a matter of time before I got in some serious trouble.

I loved hearing the SC wind up but you don't get to enjoy it when you can only do it in 1 second bursts.
With the Boss I can enjoy the power, feel and sound for a much longer period of time without going to far over the legal speed limit.

Insurance for the Super Snake was also very limiting. No regular insurance company will cover you and I had to get Hagerty modified car insurance. Lot's of limitations. No parking lots, always stored in a locked, covered garage. No more than 3500kms per year mileage. I knew that going in and thought I could live with it but proved to be too limiting for my wants.

Too bad little man- you've stuck out again!
Old 10/8/11, 07:30 AM
Cobra R Member

The difference is I can drive my cars without fanfare
HA HA HA!!! WHO posted "World News Tonight"? HA HA HA!!!! Too funny.
Old 10/8/11, 10:46 AM

Think what you want. The Super Snake was a great car and I loved. I had NO problem HANDLING the power. The problem was trying to stay LEGAL.
I could drive the speed limit and then give the car a quick hit on the gas pedal and suddenly I'm doing DOUBLE the speed limit.
It was only a matter of time before I got in some serious trouble.

I loved hearing the SC wind up but you don't get to enjoy it when you can only do it in 1 second bursts.
With the Boss I can enjoy the power, feel and sound for a much longer period of time without going to far over the legal speed limit.

Insurance for the Super Snake was also very limiting. No regular insurance company will cover you and I had to get Hagerty modified car insurance. Lot's of limitations. No parking lots, always stored in a locked, covered garage. No more than 3500kms per year mileage. I knew that going in and thought I could live with it but proved to be too limiting for my wants.

Too bad little man- you've stuck out again!

Without a doubt you are exceptional and unique.

Most with a little common sense and vision would have figured all that out before wasting time and money not after, all for nothing. That is the result of substituting emotion for practical knowledge, a virtue which seems to elude you frequently.

Back to the future!
Old 10/8/11, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Didn't waste any money. I got my money back out of the car, bought a Boss 302 LS and pocketed some money. It could not have worked out better for me.

As for you.....doesn't make much sense buying a 2nd Shelby with the redo for 2013 upcoming. Someone with knowledge would've delayed buying the 2nd Shelby until the 2013 was revealed and if not to their liking could easily pick up a 2012 for less money.
So don't pat yourself on the back too hard. LOL!!!!
Old 10/8/11, 02:57 PM
Cobra R Member

The 2012 GT500 SVTPP belongs to the president of the company I work for and he is a SCCA licensed driver/instructor. Daily driving will continue despite the mods... (former owner of a M3 light weight, V10 M5, GT3, 1992 Cobra R w/ custom suspension and cage, etc.) A yellow blaze Boss was the other option, but all dealers within 400 miles wanted $5k+ mark-up and LSs were $10k+ over... the Pres. was not paying anything over sticker (it's not the dollars, it's the principal) Also ... he didn't want to wait for a 2013... he's been putting off getting another Mustang for 20 years, waiting another year was not an

A supercharger upgrade is a must... weighing the options between Whipple & Kenne Bell (additional feedback between the two wanted), researching cooling upgrades (advice needed); Evoperformance for the tune unless there is a better shop in the Tri-State area (any suggestions aside from AM?), Eibach coilovers are likely... lighter wheels, Michelin tires & JLT intake coming soon.

I'm posting these questions as opposed to the car owner because I'm already on the forums, he's not a forum guy -won't even bother with facebook...

Last edited by Kahdir; 10/8/11 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightening a 2012 GT500