Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Whine / groan when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/07 | 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whine / groan when AC is on

At first I thought it was the power steering pump as it seems every Ford vehicle has a loud power steering pump after a while, but I tracked it down to the AC unit. When it's on, you can hear it whine / groan at any time, idle, slow speed, highway speed, etc. Turn the AC off, noise goes away.

The car has 39,xxx miles on it now, anyone else have this problem? I had this type of issue before on a truck, turned out to be the belt for the AC compressor, obviously this is a serpentine belt, so I can't imagine that is the issue this time since the noise goes away when you shut the AC off. Bad AC compressor now? Air blows ICE COLD, even in 110 degree heat here in AZ, no problems there.
Old 8/23/07 | 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
At first I thought it was the power steering pump as it seems every Ford vehicle has a loud power steering pump after a while, but I tracked it down to the AC unit. When it's on, you can hear it whine / groan at any time, idle, slow speed, highway speed, etc. Turn the AC off, noise goes away.

The car has 39,xxx miles on it now, anyone else have this problem? I had this type of issue before on a truck, turned out to be the belt for the AC compressor, obviously this is a serpentine belt, so I can't imagine that is the issue this time since the noise goes away when you shut the AC off. Bad AC compressor now? Air blows ICE COLD, even in 110 degree heat here in AZ, no problems there.
I noticed when I got my '05 v6 the AC/heater fan itself was loud, and seemed to get louder. Finally it had to be replaced at 33,000 miles.
Old 8/24/07 | 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

This issue is not the fan. Anyone have any valid thoughts as to what this is?
Old 8/25/07 | 12:01 PM
V6 Member

It sounds like we both have the same problem. My a/c whines whenever it is on, the whine goes up and down with engine RPMs, up to about 3500rpm, then the engine noise gets louder so you can't hear it. The car feels excessively sluggish whenever the a/c is on, the problem(in my eyes) is so bad that I sometimes brave the heat rather than have to listen to my baby sound like a 1984ish taurus I see sometimes that's engine sounds the same as mine with the a/c on!

It's been to the dealer for this problem a few times..."normal operation" , "high-speed fan, normal", "take it to another dealer".

It's currently at the dealer for this amoung other problems. I'll see what they do this time but I am seriously considering lemon law before my base warranty expires.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you. Please let me know if you find a fix.

thanks
Old 8/25/07 | 04:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Kingpin, what year is yours? On mine it did feel very sluggish for a while with the A/C on. I took it to the dealership for a fuel pump TSB and I think they reflashed the computer with the latest strategy. TOTALLY fixed the sluggishness. Just an idea.
Old 8/28/07 | 12:04 PM
V6 Member

Sorry forgot to post car info, 05 gt manual. I think they only reflash the 06s and up, so that solution is not for me.

I've already done the fuel pump tsb too. I'm started to get frustrated with the amount of problems with this car, it's at the dealer now, hopefully it comes back 100% but I'm not too optomistic.

thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 9/2/07 | 02:09 PM
V6 Member

wow, dealer says a/c is pefectly normal, guess if it blows cold air that's all they care about, nevermind the embarrassing whining coming from the compressor and the jerk the car makes whenever I turn the a/c on. I'm going to be yelling on Tuesday, I'm beginning to realize it is the only way you can get things done.