Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Well, the 05 has developed its first warranty issue...power steering problem

Old 7/9/06, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the 05 has developed its first warranty issue...power steering problem

Well other than the strut popping and radio TSB that I had fixed a while back, my 05 has run flawlessly. Today during an autocross event, I noticed after my 4th run that the power steering was getting a little stiff at low RPM turning manuvers in the pits. After my 6th and final run the steering was almost dead at idle. I though maybe I broke a belt and the power steering pump was not turning, but when I reved it up a bit it was normall feeling.

The pump is also making strange noises at low RPM. All of my runs were back to back and the track temp was about 95F. The engine compartment was very hot and I thought that had something to do with it. After driving home nice and easy, I pulled into a store to get some groceries for the week and the steering is bad again. I think I may have burned up the pump from runing at about 6000RPM for extended periods on the track. When I say extended, I mean about 15 - 20 seconds up and down in various parts of the track. My best time was 59.285, so total time on the track today was about 6 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this with the power steering? I will be taking it to the dealer this week hopefully, my schedule is very busy.
Old 7/10/06, 12:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if you have done any damage but I had a similar problem last year during autocrossing. Changed power steering and brake fluid to high temp products and haven't had any further issues. I never had a problem other than the one day at the autocross so I can't say it's the same issue. Worth checking out.
Old 7/10/06, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Nothing with my '06, but once upon a time, I had the power steering fail at about 4000 rpms, at the top of 3rd in a pretty tight s-bend... it sent my of the road and I'm lucky I kept it shiney side up. That was the 2nd pump in that car in the first 12K miles.

Moral of the story: Ford isn't exactly known for their power steering pumps.
Old 7/12/06, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I took the car in to Ford today and there was nothing wrong but low on fluid, very low. I KNOW I checked the fluid on Saturday when the problem started and it was fine. So if the fluid was low, where are the leaks? Ford could not find any at this time.

Oh well, at least they topped up the fluid and it seems to be fine for now. The service advisor (I went to school with the guy) said in all likelyhood I will be back with the same issue, they don't just go away. The whole thing is very strange, the steering has never been touched in any way, it is totally stock.
Old 7/12/06, 07:43 PM
FR500 Member

No signs of fluid (leaks) around the outside of the reservior cap, the lines, and the rack itself? Maybe it evaporated? Strange indeed.
Old 7/13/06, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Evaporated, that is what the service guy said joking. Everything is bone dry from the rack to the top of the reservoir.
Old 7/14/06, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I took it back the next day because it did the same thing once I got to work. I don't think they got the engine bay up to operating temperature like I told them to (seems to work fine cold). I showed them the problem and it is going back on Tuesday. They seemed purplexed. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 7/14/06, 07:23 PM
FR500 Member

Yeah, I meant it jokingly as well. Maybe they can try using some kind of (UV) dye to find out where the fluid is going. Best of luck.
Old 7/16/06, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

It appears there is a power steering leak now, seems to be coming from the pump itself. Why Ford could not find this is very frustrating. Tuesday cannot come soon enough.
Old 7/18/06, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like Ford is replacing the power steering pump, just what I thought was wrong, but it took Ford 2 times to get it correct. Pump will be here in a couple days.