Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Tires Comparison

Old 4/28/12, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires Comparison

I'm looking at some new tires. I've got the stock P-Zero, P235/55ZR17. I wasn't really thrilled with those tires grip in the wet when they were new. Does anyone recommend this OEM replacement?

I was also considering the BF Goodrich Advantage TA which is cheaper, and maybe the Goodyear Eagle GT (even cheaper) or maybe the RS-A or LS. Any recommendations? The Michelins seem to be more expensive.

I've only got the V6 but I need good all-weather performance.
Old 4/29/12, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony07
I'm looking at some new tires. I've got the stock P-Zero, P235/55ZR17. I wasn't really thrilled with those tires grip in the wet when they were new. Does anyone recommend this OEM replacement?

I was also considering the BF Goodrich Advantage TA which is cheaper, and maybe the Goodyear Eagle GT (even cheaper) or maybe the RS-A or LS. Any recommendations? The Michelins seem to be more expensive.

I've only got the V6 but I need good all-weather performance.
I just posted a pretty thorough review of the Goodyear eagle GT. I got them as an oem replacement and I love them.

https://themustangsource.com/f637/go...review-507972/
Old 4/30/12, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a funny random occurrence. I was at a tire store today shopping, and after I got my quote for the BFG Advantage and I was walking out, another customer had pulled in for a different service - in the same exact car I have, with the BFG Advantage tires! His '07 Pony was white with tan, mine's red/grey. We got to talking and turns out he's had them on his car for 50k miles and they're just beginning to show wear bars. He loves them. He's also got 116k miles on the 'stang - way more than me! Obviously on the road all the time.
Old 5/1/12, 12:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I love my Cooper Zeon RS3-As. Awesome performance so far, wet or dry. You really have to be *bad* to get them loose in the wet. And I mean, you can be bad, and even a little *bad*. They're really good in the wet, IMO. And dry performance is just plain great. Not that I'm tracking/strip use, but still. Very confidence inspiring, truly. And very competitively priced... as in, the cheapest, and have a hella good rating, even in their own tire comparisons. 540 or something stupid like that. Of course, the wear will be what it'll be, but they seem to be holding up pretty good for me, far as I can tell...

Everyone has an opinion, of course. This is mine.

Last edited by houtex; 5/1/12 at 12:27 AM.
Old 8/20/12, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For at or near the same performance as Michelin Pilot Sports, the Cooper Zeon RS3-S tire are sweet for much less$. They are only a tick less confidence enspiring in the wet than the Zeon RS3-A's (All Season tires). But the RS3-S is a few sticks better in the dry than the RS3-A's. But longevity of the RS3-S may not meet everyone's needs.

It's a balancing act. My car is not driven in the winter and I usually leave it at home if rain is forecasted. But the RS3-S can handle rain better then the OEM Goodyears and a set of Nitto 555 street tires I have on a second set of rims.
Old 8/21/12, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I have hankooks on two of my cars and like them alot. The BFG Advantage are good tires also I have them on my 2k stang
Old 8/23/12, 08:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I got Riken Raptors from summit (michelin made supposedly) last year, both fronts have suffered cupping of the insides/outsides, noisy as heck, thought my wheel bearings were going bad... yes I corner too fast at times, yes they were wider than stock...guess it was inevitable. I put my old rears back on front for now, gotta do something soon- but will be time to park it in a couple months anyway...
tread wore pretty fast on all 4, but the cool looking kinda curved chevron looking tread pattern seems to get that sawtooth edge wear when used up front...they look good, stick like glue in the rain, but I'll never buy another set. got like 44k on the original pirellis, these have just over 6k on them and the fronts are too noisy to run, about 1/2 tread on all 4 already... a few burnouts at the track, some 'spirited' cornering, they just are too soft/wide I think. next set I get will be a more conventional straight tread like the pirellis were- they wore well, and didnt cup at all.
Old 9/1/12, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The General Exclaim UHPs are an excellent bang for your buck performance tire.