2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Nightmare.. MyKey on Mustang!

Old 10/4/15, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nightmare.. MyKey on Mustang!

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a pre-owner 2014 Mustang V6 Premium convertible from a dealer (not a Ford dealer) in Boston though i am based out of Rhode Island. I was so excited to get my hands on they car keys that I even missed to check the car completely before purchasing it. The dealer gave me just one key and told me that is all what he got from the previous owner.

On my drive back from Boston to Rhode Island, i saw a speed-limit warning when the car was approaching 80mph. I ignored it at first but when i car reached 80mph, the acceleration stopped completely and car did not go beyond 80mph speed with was set on the key. On reaching home i read the car manuals and checked some of the blogs online due to which i came across few posts on this issue at themustangsource.com and i jointed this forum. I immediately contacted the dealer and explained him the issue which really took a while untill he saw the Ford manual and other forum links which explained the MyKey functionality. At first he said he cannot do anything as this is how he got the car from the previous owner.

I was pissed off as there was no use a of 6 cylinder car when you cannot drive it the way you want to. There were many other restrictions that were applied on the MyKey like audio mute, multiple warning which really pissed me off. I contact the nearest ford dealer to explain them the issue but it took a lot more time as no one at ford was aware of MyKey functionality. Finally they understood and gave me an estimate of $225-250 which included cost for the spare key and its programming. I could see the price of key between 75-100 bucks for which Ford is charging almost double. I am still not sure if they would program the new key as the admin key or would it be programmed as another MyKey.

With this i must say that one should check the car for any such restrictions before purchasing from a dealer who is giving you just a single key. Also, you should not try playing with MyKey function else you would end up paying 300 bucks for a stupid issue which is hard to explain even to Ford technicians. I must say Ford should get rid of such functions which is not even known properly to their own technicians.

I love my Mustang but really pissed of with that dealer and Ford too.

Take car guys. Drive safe!

Regards,
Old 10/4/15, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome and your best option is to pay Ford to fix it.
Old 10/4/15, 10:00 PM

Yup, already gave an order at the Ford service centre nearby and hopefully would get it done next week.

But, i found something really strange, one of the ford dealers told me the key cost to be 150 and the other told me 160. Plus the programming charges are different, one is charging $50 and the later one is charging 62.

I would definitely raise this concern with Ford. Can anybody tell me if there is a Ford rep. present on this Forum ?
Old 10/4/15, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by gags4u
Yup, already gave an order at the Ford service centre nearby and hopefully would get it done next week.

But, i found something really strange, one of the ford dealers told me the key cost to be 150 and the other told me 160. Plus the programming charges are different, one is charging $50 and the later one is charging 62.

I would definitely raise this concern with Ford. Can anybody tell me if there is a Ford rep. present on this Forum ?
Old 10/4/15, 10:01 PM

Old 10/5/15, 03:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Can anybody tell me if there is a Ford rep. present on this Forum ?
There is. Her name is Deysha and she's helped many, many people on this forum. She goes by the username of FordService

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ervice-111098/
Old 10/5/15, 05:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I imagine the variation in prices is normal between dealerships and not under Ford's control.
Old 10/5/15, 08:16 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I imagine the variation in prices is normal between dealerships and not under Ford's control.
Welcome and congrats on your new ride, gags4u! SpectreH is correct. Pricing will vary by dealer, because they are independently owned and operated. Their labor rates also vary. I recommend you call around first and go with the one most affordable to you.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
There is. Her name is Deysha and she's helped many, many people on this forum. She goes by the username of FordService
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ervice-111098/
Thank you for the support, Twin Turbo!

Deysha
Old 10/5/15, 10:50 AM

I find that incredible that a Ford dealership does not know about the MYKey functionality. The probable reason Ford is charging you double is because you only have one key. To duplicate a key when you only have one is more involved and can only be done buy the dealer. It is added security to prevent someone like a valet from duplicating your key. If you have both keys, its much easier and you can program it yourself. This is true for any car with a transponder key. The first thing i always do when i purchase a car is make a replacement key. I get the blank from Ebay for around $20 and my local hardwares store cut if for me for free, then i programmed it myself. Now I have 3 keys, if i ever lose one i can easily make a duplicate without having to go back to the dealer. I also make a "dumb" key which will unlock the doors but will not start the car. I keep in hidden under the car just in case i lock my keys in the car.
Old 10/5/15, 11:26 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, as I only have a 2012... but this mykey and programming is all new to me. I've heard it, but never really knew what it "did". So this is a feature only on 13/14 stangs? The ability to limit revs, etc?
Old 10/5/15, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Forgive my ignorance, as I only have a 2012... but this mykey and programming is all new to me. I've heard it, but never really knew what it "did". So this is a feature only on 13/14 stangs? The ability to limit revs, etc?

Its all spelled out in the owners manual. If you don't have one you can download a PDF from the Ford website.
Old 10/5/15, 12:14 PM
I Have No Life

^ makes sense. But my question is, is it only a 13/14 feature?
Old 10/5/15, 12:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The primary purpose of MyKey is to allow a parent set limits as in top speed, radio volume, low fuel light initial activation, etc for teenage drivers. I've never toyed with it since we have no teenagers at home. And a few years ago when we did, the rule was "if you destroy the car we gave you, you walk". My Corvair and the wife's Miata are our toys and off limits, and our DDs (my Mustang and her Saturn) were not back ups for the kids. We did allow them to drive the Saturn if their car was simply having preventative or routine maintenance performed and I was not available to do the work myself. Wow...I guess I just went off on a tangent.

Last edited by SpectreH; 10/5/15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10/5/15, 12:55 PM

^ makes sense. But my question is, is it only a 13/14 feature?
If you read the owners manual for a 2012 and there are no instructions for MyKey, then that will be your answer.
Old 10/5/15, 01:16 PM
I Have No Life

^ never opened my manual. How's that for an answer? A simple yes/no answer would have sufficed, but I can tell your preference for responding to a question is more sarcasm than necessary. So let's end this conversation here, but I still owe you some gratitude. Thanks for your input regardless.
Old 10/5/15, 01:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The primary purpose of MyKey is to allow a parent set limits as in top speed, radio volume, low fuel light initial activation, etc for teenage drivers. I've never toyed with it since we have no teenagers at home. And a few years ago when we did, the rule was "if you destroy the car we gave you, you walk". My Corvair and the wife's Miata are our toys and off limits, and our DDs (my Mustang and her Saturn) were not back ups for the kids. We did allow them to drive the Saturn if their car was simply having preventative or routine maintenance performed and I was not available to do the work myself. Wow...I guess I just went off on a tangent.
Thanks David... I see. Luckily, I would have no use for it if I had the feature, as I don't let anyone touch my car, more so drive it. lol...
Old 10/5/15, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's been a feature for Ford vehicles for a while, my 2012 focus had it.
Old 10/5/15, 01:49 PM

^ never opened my manual. How's that for an answer? A simple yes/no answer would have sufficed, but I can tell your preference for responding to a question is more sarcasm than necessary. So let's end this conversation here, but I still owe you some gratitude. Thanks for your input regardless.
Sarcasm?? I do not own a 2012 or have a owners manual for a 2012 and didnt know Mykey even existed until on bought a 2014, so how can i possibly give you a yes/no answer? Sorry i did not go to the Ford website, search and download a 2012 owners manual and look it up for you because you didnt want to reach into your glove compartment. Now THATS sarcasm!!
Old 10/5/15, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe if you don't know the answer it would have been better to refrain from responding at all. How's that for a simple alternative to sarcasm?

FromZto5, my 2011 has MyKey so I would say it's safe to assume that your 2012 has it as well. Like you, I've never had any reason to use it although I did consider (briefly) setting up it for my wife but then decided that wasn't such a good idea.
Old 10/6/15, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteBird00;6949049]Maybe if you don't know the answer it would have been better to refrain from responding at all. How's that for a simple alternative to sarcasm?

So thats how this forum works, if you do not have a definitive yes or no answer, do not reply at all or offer a suggestion on where to find all the information you need. Got it!! But you seemed to have broken your own rule since you did not know the answer either but made an assumption that because your 2011 had MYkey, the 2012 should. Would it be safe to assume that since my 2014 is a GT/CS that it was also available in 2015? The problem with email, texts, forums etc, is that someones tone of voice can not be heard, in my original post, I in no way intended to be sarcastic, I just figured the person who asked the question was unaware that the owners manual contained detailed information on Mykey. So in conclusion, upon checking a 2012 owners manual, YES the MYkey functionality is available on the 2012 models.

Last edited by jccroz123; 10/6/15 at 06:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nightmare.. MyKey on Mustang!