Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Synchros in 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/08, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for any updates.....

I may have replied here to a similar thread, but anyway, I have an 06 GT that suffers from this issue, but in my case I have only grinded 2nd in the winter-3rd, although gives a "bump" feeling has never grinded.

Anyway, I have done alot of research on this issue, and to be honest, I'm kind of hot right now.

I have found TSBs on this tranny for this issue for 2001-2003 mustangs, a TSB for this issue on 2004 mustangs, and this one on 2007-2008 mustangs, but nothing on 05/06s. Grrrrrrr

Something else I thought was odd-this is the only website I have found that references this TSB for the 07/08 stangs. Where did this TSB come from-I can't find it anywhere else.

If you price out the part numbers for the various TSB synchro assemblies, the prices vary WILDLY. The prices for the 2 parts mentioned in this TSB are only around $100 each, with the prices for the 2001-2003 and 2004 parts approach a grand! I'm assuming its because with the pre-s197 stangs, the "kits" also included the associated mainshaft gears, and this one doesn't???

-Alan
Old 11/15/08, 06:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by newdy22
Update:

TSB repair did not fix the problem. I drove it yesterday morning when the weather dipped into the 60's at night. The trans still grinds when going from 2-3 shifts when it's cooler.
Update:
With 2,900 miles on my 08 Bullitt I stopped in at my dealership to tell them the synchro replacement did not remedy the 2-3 gear clash. I also began experiencing 3-4 gear clash. In addition to the clash, I could hear a metallic rattle sound coming from outside the car when accelerating from 4K RPM to 4,500 RPM.

The service writer told me to drop the Bullitt off anytime and he would contact the Ford Hotline about the issues since the TSB was already performed to replace the synchros.

I dropped the car off overnight. Two days later I received a call from the service writer. He told me Ford will replace the transmission because it is a known issue with these transmissions (7R3Z-7003-L). The rattle was also identified as being the separator plate between the engine and transmission. The service writer mentioned an updated version of the plate is available to fix the problem and it would be replaced while the transmission was being replaced.

I received the car back and it shifts great. I was really upset me when I drove the car off the dealership lot because the clutch engaged about an inch away from the pedal being fully depressed. I thought something was not right. The clutch takes about 10 minutes of driving to return to its normal engagement point. This happened when my synchros were replaced as well. I'm not sure why this happens. The car shift perfectly now. No more clash. The engagement point is back to where it was before the car was serviced. The first time I shifted from 2nd to 3rd I cringed in anticipation of hearing and feeling the grind I had been avoiding since the car was new. I heard nothing.

Unfortunately I can still hear a faint rattle coming from the engine compartment at 4K RPM. I reviewed the invoice and I don't see anything about a new separator plate being installed. I'll have to follow up to and see if it was part of the new transmission installation.

Last edited by newdy22; 11/15/08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11/21/08, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I also had this issue last winter (before there was a TSB) and had my 3rd gear replaced and syncros, well its doing it again. Looks like Ill be taking it in in the next couple of weeks and having them work on it again. Wonder if they will swap out the entire tranny this time?

So now im wondering if this is going to keep happening, how many times do I have to get it worked on before they have to give me a new car? I sure would like to get that last 08 GTCS on the lot!
Old 12/9/08, 11:07 AM
GT Member

Mine are still grinding in 3rd but it's completely random. Its been 20 degrees out and it wont happen, then it will randomly happen another time. I am taking it in soon, i just hope it happens to the tech...
Old 12/9/08, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

It got cold here and it's doing the same again. Only happens when cold and not driven overnight. Pretty much just happens the first or so shift to 3. Actually will clash without the car moving. The result is just worse when moving.
Old 12/10/08, 03:34 AM
Bullitt Member

same here...Ill be going back to the dealership this week.
Old 12/12/08, 05:06 PM

I have less than 300mi on my '08 GT (3 wks I've had it) and I have the 2nd-3rd grind only when the car is cold/driven for the first 5 min or so.
At first I thought I was shifting wrong or ignored it but it's definitely not normal. Printed out TSB and parts replaced posted in this post by others. Made an appt with dealer on Mon. Car should be cold for them since I'm doing a night drop on Sun.
I'll update what happens. I had some mods lined up...gears, lowering, axleback but I'm going to try and get this fixed first before doing anything.
Old 12/19/08, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

update..

just to recap, I had my tranny rebuilt last year before the TSB was out due to 3rd gear grind, it went away for a few months but did it again to me at the end of last winter. I notified ford a few weeks ago and they said to bring it in in january, well I had the car in for some other work @ the dealer this week and they went ahead and put in a whole new tranny from what they said to fix the grind this time..last time it was just a rebuild, I hope it works this time!

Let you know how it goes..
Old 12/20/08, 05:14 AM
GT Member

I hope the new tranny works for you. It fixed my grind problem. How did the clutch engage when you got it back?
Old 12/20/08, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Its still at the dealers I wont know for a few more days, had a minor winter accident and its in the body shop

Last edited by Etnix; 12/20/08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12/30/08, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Well brand new tranny is in, everything seems great so far no grind. IT took a few months before it came back the first time It was repaird, so I guess we will see as time goes on if this is gonna really fix the issue.
Old 12/30/08, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Steve-

Good to hear it. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and on my tranny. I am experiencing many of the same issues on my 07. As of now its parked away for the winter, so I guess in the spring it'll make its way to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Etnix
Well brand new tranny is in, everything seems great so far no grind. IT took a few months before it came back the first time It was repaird, so I guess we will see as time goes on if this is gonna really fix the issue.
Old 12/30/08, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I did some checking on the new tranny I got wondering if it was a remodel or upgrade from the previous, however the part number has not changed so it looks like I got the same setup as before...im concerned if this will really fix it.
Old 1/7/09, 09:31 PM

I just had a new tranny installed also under warranty at the beggining of November. Then 700 miles later they had to pull it back out because 3rd was grinding and replace 3rd gear and sychronizers. Even with that done it still sometimes grinds and notchy going into 3rd.
Old 1/8/09, 07:04 PM

Just wanted to chime in with the same cold weather 3rd gear grind issue. I've taken it to the dealer but at the time didnt know about the TSB. They thought it was the short throw i have in so i never had work done. However after reading posts here and on another forum I will probably just wait and see what fixes this for sure. I've learned to live with it and just double clutch into 3rd or wait for the revs to come down. Gives the car more personality, kind of like the Lincoln Mark VI i had when i was in school and had to use a screwdriver to start the car. Mine seems to last longer than what you all describe, probably about 10-15 full minutes of driving if its really cold.

It seems to me this only afflicts '08 models. I read somewhere ford decided to change the trans fluid in '08s to something heavier which contributes to the problem.
Old 1/10/09, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

after the first rebuild, I had them put royal purple syncromax in, and eventually it started grinding again. This time I let them put the motorcraft fill, however I may swap it out to redline this summer.
Old 4/23/11, 09:17 AM

Has anyone had the updated TSB work done for this problem? The latest TSB is 09-9-6, superceding 08-9-6. It now includes blocking rings along with the synchros. If so, any luck? I still get the 1st-to-2nd grind ('08 GT), but have not had it fixed yet.
Old 4/23/11, 11:02 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangdog
Has anyone had the updated TSB work done for this problem? The latest TSB is 09-9-6, superceding 08-9-6. It now includes blocking rings along with the synchros. If so, any luck? I still get the 1st-to-2nd grind ('08 GT), but have not had it fixed yet.
Mine has been fine but I've read a number of threads that the TSB worked great.
Also be sure the fluid is not over filled if you've messed with it. The owners manuals shows the correct (slightly lower) level.
Old 7/29/11, 08:29 PM

thank you for this thread. I just bought an 08 Bullitt and have a soft grind from 2-3 and a hard shift from 1-2, an earlier post called it torque bind. I find the clutch springy. I bought this car used at 18,000 miles.
Old 7/29/11, 08:40 PM

I think I may have the separator plate issue too.
with 18000 I should visit the dealer, but I'm thinking I may be better off elsewhere. I've heard it said when a mechanic gets really good he opens his own shop.
I humbly beseech this forum for advice.

Quick Reply: Synchros in 3rd.