Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Synchros in 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/08, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you guys, and as I've stated before, I took my car in previously because I had a FULL TIME 3rd gear grind. That's certainly not something I could have lived with. The problem was half corrected and now it's only a cold issue, which for the time being, I CAN live with. Hard pill to swallow because I'm kind of a perfectionist. Actually, the issue goes away as soon as the car reaches normal operating temp. None of us should be hammering through the gears before this point anyhow.
Old 4/27/08, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Rebel73 I would have done exactly the same thing you did. You can't live with a full time condition like that. Especially after the work you've put into your car so far (nice stripes btw!), it would be a real disheartening experience to have it not run in a way you can use it. In lieu of a tremec facility to take your trans to in order to better guarantee good work, you're kinda outta options. Like I said, I would have been doing the same thing.

Lets hope a change of fluid will help sort it out, so we can all get back to enjoying our rides and not our problems.
Old 4/27/08, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TEXTORN
With regards to the 3 gear shifting grind.. I too nhave had that happen in my 2005, and thought it was due to my letting the clutch out too quickly, but it's just a simple, "cold issue" and you can fix it with a new shifter.

Well you might of looked at my threads before about the cold issue. I put in Royal Purple tranny fluid which seems to fix the problem. Do you have anymore info on what aftermarket shifters are doing for this problem?
Old 4/27/08, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

yah, I'm gonna try out the Royal Purple and report back to you guys...
Old 6/18/08, 04:31 PM
GT Member

A new shifter isnt going to fix this issue - i noticed it once or twice on mine when cold with the stock shifter. I replaced it with a billet hurst and im still having the issue...only in 3rd, only when cold.
Old 6/20/08, 11:55 AM
GT Member

There is a new TSB that addresses this issue its number is 08-9-6 http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...howtopic=29199
Old 6/20/08, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

its about dang time...I already had mine rebuilt but I swear right before It got warm one morning it did it again... So this winter we will see...
Old 6/21/08, 07:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Woodward Ave
There is a new TSB that addresses this issue its number is 08-9-6 http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...howtopic=29199
This is fantastic information here. Thank you. I'm taking this to my dealership to have it looked at and repaired. I had my 2nd to 3rd gear shift grind on my Bullitt since it was new. It occurs frequently during the colder months before the Bullitt was warm. I was not beating on it. They were just casual shifts while the temps were between 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit. The TSB mentions that the problem is more pronounced at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit so that makes sense.

We had a heat wave in the Philadelphia region a couple weeks ago and I took my Bullitt to work. The temp was 78 degrees F outside and 76 degrees F inside the garage. The transmission still ground from 2nd into 3rd even when the outside temperature is that warm. I now have 1,500 miles on the car and the issue does not seam to be going away at all.

TSB
08-9-6

4.6L WITH TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CLASH OR RASPY FEEL - SHIFTING INTO 2ND AND/OR 3RD GEAR

Publication Date: April 24, 2008

FORD:

2007-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2008 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and TR3650 5 speed manual transmission may exhibit a clash noise and / or raspy (rough) feel on gear engagements during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts. This condition may be more pronounced when the transmission is colder than 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the transmission following Workshop Manual (WSW), Section 308-03B.

Replace with new the 1-2 sychronizer and 3-4 sycronizer assemblies, following WSM, Section 308-03B.

Install the transmission following WSW, Section 308-03B.

PART NUMBER

PART NAME

3R3Z-7124-BA

1-2 Synchronizer

1R3Z-7124-DA

3-4 Sychronizer

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION

DESCRIPTION

TIME

080906A

2007-2008 Mustang 4.6L Engine TR3650 Transmission: Replace The 1-2 And 3-4 Synchronizers, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003AZJ, 4602A, 5212B, 7564B)

6.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.

CONDITION CODE

Last edited by newdy22; 6/21/08 at 07:03 AM.
Old 6/21/08, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is great news, thanks for posting that guys!! I had brought my car to the stealership in the spring and was told that it shifts "pretty good" Of course it was spring time and the temps were warming so it wasn't as pronounced. Even though it didn't have the grinding noise, it did have the raspy feel...and it still does. So I figured that was the "notchiness" that people were talking about. I later added a K member brace with torque limiters which has worked great to keep me from missing the 3rd gear shift, but the raspiness is still there. Looks like another trip back to the stealership for me
Old 6/23/08, 03:23 PM
GT Member

I stopped by my dealership two days ago on Saturday right after I read this thread posting about the TSB. I talked to my service writer, explained the problem showed him the TSB. He said his 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe had the same problem. He ordered the synchros, no questions asked. He will call me to schedule an appointment when the parts arrive. He said it should take one day, but he will schedule two just in case the mechanic runs into a problem.
Old 6/24/08, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm. Doesn't really go into the root of the problem. Is this a real fix? is it just going to do it again?

Were there some bad synchros installed at the transmission plant?
Old 7/19/08, 02:39 PM
GT Member

I picked up my 08 Bullitt yesterday from having the synchros replaced per TSB 08-9-6. I had 1,876 miles on it when I brought it in for repair. I had the trans serviced because I was experiencing an awful 2-3 grind or "clash" when the trans was cold. The trans always sounded a little noisy, even when brand new. I could hear the gears while driving. The sound was subtle, but it was there.

The repair was supposed to be a 6.5 hour job but the car was there for 8 days. Why 8 days? I was informed that a shear pin was broken during removal of the trans and obtaining it was difficult because the first two kits were missing a bolt (different service writer), and finally the 3rd kit had the part required bolt to repair the problem.

The dealership was really good about taking car of the car. They even made a note to keep the car indoors on the service write up.

I picked up the car and the clutch engaged much more quickly than it did when I dropped the car off. I figured it just need to be adjusted and I will come back next week to tell the service writer. But after driving it for an hour I noticed the clutch was back to its old self again, engaging where it had been when I dropped the car off. I was happy about that. The trans shifts like butter now. Really smooth. The trans is quiet, I can't hear any noise or sounds coming from it. No more grinding. I could not be happier with it.
Old 7/26/08, 03:29 AM

To be certain before taking my '07 in for service, this TSB addresses both the rasp/grind AND the problem of not going into 3rd gear easily? I'd love to say I have cold weather issues, but living in the Houston area means my issue has nada to do with temp. FWIW, this happens well after warm up.

Addtl. confirmation on the short-throw upgrade not necessarily fixing the problem: my S281 came w/ the Saleen short-throw.

Last edited by ultamax; 7/26/08 at 03:40 AM.
Old 7/29/08, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the problem with in the first 300 miles! The dealership gave me a new tranny. I now have 4000 miles on my Bullitt and I have had no more problems!
I thought that this was an isolated incident , but I guess not. I think the transmissions are built over seas ?
Old 7/29/08, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not quite. Queretaro, Mexico.
With possibly a few parts from Knoxville, TN. (Which I did not realize.)
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...facilities.asp

Originally Posted by LoudPony
I had the problem with in the first 300 miles! The dealership gave me a new tranny. I now have 4000 miles on my Bullitt and I have had no more problems!
I thought that this was an isolated incident , but I guess not. I think the transmissions are built over seas ?
Old 8/4/08, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by newdy22
I picked up my 08 Bullitt yesterday from having the synchros replaced per TSB 08-9-6. I had 1,876 miles on it when I brought it in for repair. I had the trans serviced because I was experiencing an awful 2-3 grind or "clash" when the trans was cold. The trans always sounded a little noisy, even when brand new. I could hear the gears while driving. The sound was subtle, but it was there.

The repair was supposed to be a 6.5 hour job but the car was there for 8 days. Why 8 days? I was informed that a shear pin was broken during removal of the trans and obtaining it was difficult because the first two kits were missing a bolt (different service writer), and finally the 3rd kit had the part required bolt to repair the problem.

The dealership was really good about taking car of the car. They even made a note to keep the car indoors on the service write up.

I picked up the car and the clutch engaged much more quickly than it did when I dropped the car off. I figured it just need to be adjusted and I will come back next week to tell the service writer. But after driving it for an hour I noticed the clutch was back to its old self again, engaging where it had been when I dropped the car off. I was happy about that. The trans shifts like butter now. Really smooth. The trans is quiet, I can't hear any noise or sounds coming from it. No more grinding. I could not be happier with it.
Update:

TSB repair did not fix the problem. I drove it yesterday morning when the weather dipped into the 60's at night. The trans still grinds when going from 2-3 shifts when it's cooler.
Old 8/4/08, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guess your next step is a TR6060 swap.
Old 8/5/08, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Guess your next step is a TR6060 swap.
About as good an excuse as any for a 6 speed.

I had my transmission rebuilt in March with around 3,200 miles on it. I now have 11,000 and haven't had this issue again. We had a few weeks of near freezing weather in April and May - paid very careful attention to things during that cold spell.

That said, I have recently noticed torque binding while going into 2nd on strong accelerations, but the torque binding is noticeably different from the grinding issue.

I plan on putting a CHE k-member w/torque limiters in the next week or two to (hopefully) address the torque binding.
Old 8/23/08, 07:04 PM

Has Ford issued a TSB for my 08 GT/CS yet......if not WHY NOT ?
Old 9/11/08, 06:20 PM

I drive an 08 and have the same problem when cold!

Quick Reply: Synchros in 3rd.