Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Synchros in 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/08, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy_tho,

Mine is an '08! I picked it up in January and it has less than 1200 miles on it.
Old 3/20/08, 02:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is having trouble going into 3rd part of this problem? I just picked up my 08 GT/CS this week and have only driven it one day so far due to rain. I noticed I was having problems going from 2nd to 3rd. I haven't driven a stick for about 11 years, so I was thinking I just need to get the hang of it again. Just wondering if this is a sign of upcoming problems or I just need to get behind the wheel more and get me experience back!
Old 3/20/08, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by denlem
Is having trouble going into 3rd part of this problem? I just picked up my 08 GT/CS this week and have only driven it one day so far due to rain. I noticed I was having problems going from 2nd to 3rd. I haven't driven a stick for about 11 years, so I was thinking I just need to get the hang of it again. Just wondering if this is a sign of upcoming problems or I just need to get behind the wheel more and get me experience back!
Get it checked out...there is definitely a known issue with the '08 trannies.
Old 3/20/08, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1

The TR3650 is like butter (sometimes slightly notchy butter though) when it's all sorted out internally - unless you're trying to guide the stick too much to the left in which case it's hitting the seperator between 1 and 3... which is a good thing - shifting into 1 above 15 mph, even with the clutch to the floor isn't very good on the system for some reason.
Old 3/20/08, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Is everyone that is posting here driving an 08?
Yeah, I've only heard of this specific issue on brand new '08s.

The TR3650 has been around a while and is prone to failure at some points like any other mechanical device, but the only ones I've heard with less than 40-50k miles on their cars are 2008s.

I guess I could put my car in my signature or something, hehe.
Old 3/20/08, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
+1

The TR3650 is like butter (sometimes slightly notchy butter though) when it's all sorted out internally - unless you're trying to guide the stick too much to the left in which case it's hitting the seperator between 1 and 3... which is a good thing - shifting into 1 above 15 mph, even with the clutch to the floor isn't very good on the system for some reason.
That's what I think i'm doing. I was trying to shift in the driveway without it running and get a little better feel of where 3rd is. I feel i'm guiding it too much off center and too hard. Tomorrow is my second day out with it, so it's practice, practice, practice!
Old 3/21/08, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by denlem
That's what I think i'm doing. I was trying to shift in the driveway without it running and get a little better feel of where 3rd is. I feel i'm guiding it too much off center and too hard. Tomorrow is my second day out with it, so it's practice, practice, practice!
Good luck! There are guide springs in the shifting mechanism and they should do the work, just loosely push it towards the dash for 3rd and you'll be there. Just like holding the handlebar on a bike or the grip of a sword, very loose fingers, push with your arm. Going into 5th is the only one I occassionally have a problem on, mostly because I'm lazy, but it's overdrive so not an issue at all. Unless I forget this is a 5 speed and not a 6 (yet...), hehe.
Old 3/21/08, 10:08 AM

I took my time this morning and let it spring towards the middle and then push it in. That worked better. I drove a stick for 15 years, then the past 11 years were SUV's with automatics. Just a matter of re-training myself I guess.
Old 3/27/08, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
Dixie, do you have a list of the parts they replaced from your work order?
Sorry it took so long, moved since and couldn't find my file. Coulda sworn I'd already posted these on TMS, but can't find the thread for the life of me....
For whatever it's worth and hope it helps.

Begin: 2/22/2008 End: 2/28/2008
Odometer In: 2,848

Shop time:
3 hours for transmission assembly removal and re-installation.
3.7 hours for overhauling the transmission assembly
0.5 hours hydraulic clutch system bleed
1.0 hours "Some M Time involved due to shop manual and online service publications are wrong as far as disassembly and reassembly along with clutch bleed procedures.

Parts:
1ea: SP0-1R3Z-7124DA - Synchronizer Assembly-3
1ea: FMC-1R3Z-7107BA - *Ring - 5th speed Sy
3ea: FMC-XT-5QMC - Transmission Fluid
Old 3/27/08, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

just wanted to chime back in here, guys. I got my car back and the tranny is now smooooth as silk. Third gear issue is gone!
Old 3/27/08, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Rob

What exactly did they do? Syncros?
Old 3/27/08, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
just wanted to chime back in here, guys. I got my car back and the tranny is now smooooth as silk. Third gear issue is gone!
Good to hear! How's the extra confidence gained from not anticipating a grind going into 3rd?
Old 3/27/08, 10:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a TSB for this anywhere? My 05 has the exact same issue but when I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the issue. It happens about every 2-3days. They won't do anything with the tranny at this point until I can get more proof that something is wrong and now I am past the 3yr/60,000km warranty.
Old 3/27/08, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Is there a TSB for this anywhere? My 05 has the exact same issue but when I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the issue. It happens about every 2-3days. They won't do anything with the tranny at this point until I can get more proof that something is wrong and now I am past the 3yr/60,000km warranty.
Try to ensure they have it cold. It may be too late in the year for you depending on where you live (I say that and it's snowing outside right now, doh !). There is no TSB for this (prolly would be too expensive for Ford...), but everyone who has had the techs along for a ride when the car sat at the dealer overnight on a cold night had the issue diagnosed as a warranty problem pretty easily.

When did you first try to get them to address your issue Adrenalin? I've dealt with BMW over a long standing warranty item on a car with 220k miles. While I don't want to get your hopes up, If you've documented that the issue existed while it was under warranty, their failure to replicate it shouldn't necessarily exclude you from having it covered.
Old 3/27/08, 10:54 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to them just before storing the car for the winter. That was in November and 2,000km ago. The service manager knows I was there to get it looked at. I'll stop in tomorrow and have another chat with him about it again.
Old 3/27/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I went to them just before storing the car for the winter. That was in November and 2,000km ago. The service manager knows I was there to get it looked at. I'll stop in tomorrow and have another chat with him about it again.
Awesome, good luck!

Oh, and fantastic mod-blog. What you call the worst picture you've taken of your car looks leagues better than any I've taken of mine.
Old 3/27/08, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Rob

yah,

I don't know the details, but the syncros were the main culprit. I can dig up the work order sheet and provide more details later.
Old 3/27/08, 11:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Good to hear! How's the extra confidence gained from not anticipating a grind going into 3rd?
it's awesome!! I can bang the gears again.

Since the Whipple went on there shortly after it was fixed, I NEED that extra confidence! Holy crap it moves!
Old 3/28/08, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Rob

Mine is being done as I type this, They are suposed to finish up soon.

I was told that ford instructed them to replace everything in relation to 3rd gear including the syncros.

I also gave them 4 quarts of Royal Purple Syncromax to use instead of the motorcraft mercon v.
Old 3/31/08, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

So I finally took my car in and had the 3rd gear grind issue fixed. They replaced everything in relation to 3rd gear. I also had them put in royal purple syncromax instead of the motorcraft transmission fluid.

Seems to be MUCH better over all. It has been to warm to be able to guarantee the grind is gone, but it was sorta chilly and I couldnt replicate it yesterday, tonight it is going to get close to freezing, that will be the real test in the morning after.

I had them order the parts before I dropped the car off, it took two days for them to fix it instead of a week like most.

Here is a list of the parts that are on my work order that they replaced:

1 BUSHING 4R3Z-7025-B
1 BUSH 1R3Z-7N318-AA
1 FORK THIRD AND 4R3Z-7230-B
1 GATE 4R3Z-7411-AA
1 SEALENT - SILI TA-29
2 NUT -W705443-S900

Here are the installers notes:

Verified 3rd gear grind, talked to ford they said to install all third gear parts including synco assembly and third gear shift fork. Remove trans and tear down and inspect.

Replaced all the third gear components found some wear on third gear assembly trans. Install trans and fill with fluid. Bleed the clutch system and test drive. Clutch operates like normal and shifts smoothly into all gears.

Quick Reply: Synchros in 3rd.