Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Synchros in 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/08, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Synchros in 3rd.

I'm new to my mustang, just to make that clear. Every once in a while, when shifting into 3rd (never anything else), if I shift really quickly, I hear that aweful grind that makes the hair on my neck stand up.

So here's the question. While it is possible that I may not have the clutch in all the way, I've been driving manual cars for 15 years. So the likelihood is slim that I'm going to make that mistake always in the same gear. If I take my time with the 3rd shift, I never have this problem.

I understood that the 3rd issue with our cars is just in trying to make the shift without getting locked out. So is this a different issue? Pardon my ignorance if this is the same thing and I didn't understand.

How do I solve this? For what it's worth, I'm planning on getting an MGW shifter in the not to far future because I don't like the floaty feel and long throw of the stock shifter.

Thanks in advance for advice!
Old 1/24/08, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its your fault with the clutch - I grind 3rd when the tranny is cold. Only way I noticed to not grind is to move the shifter u p/right/up, instead of just pushing it towards 3rd.
Old 1/24/08, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mackitraz
I'm new to my mustang, just to make that clear. Every once in a while, when shifting into 3rd (never anything else), if I shift really quickly, I hear that aweful grind that makes the hair on my neck stand up.

So here's the question. While it is possible that I may not have the clutch in all the way, I've been driving manual cars for 15 years. So the likelihood is slim that I'm going to make that mistake always in the same gear. If I take my time with the 3rd shift, I never have this problem.

I understood that the 3rd issue with our cars is just in trying to make the shift without getting locked out. So is this a different issue? Pardon my ignorance if this is the same thing and I didn't understand.

How do I solve this? For what it's worth, I'm planning on getting an MGW shifter in the not to far future because I don't like the floaty feel and long throw of the stock shifter.

Thanks in advance for advice!
Probably due to the crap stock shifter..
Old 2/5/08, 12:04 AM

Thank God! I thought it was just me!

I've had my GT for just over a week and I started noticing a gear-grinding sound shifting into 3rd gear the first couple of times in the morning. It only happens just after I left home. At first, I also thought i was being lazy with the clutch trying to get up to speed. However, it keeps happening even when I make a concerted effort to push the clutch to the floor, get off the gas and make sure the shifter is dead center before attempting to upshift.

After a few times using 3rd, the problem goes away for the rest of the day.

Sounds like syncros to me. I'm aiming to go to the dealership soon on this one.
Old 2/5/08, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I would if I were you, mine is only every once in a while, and if I make the effort to give it a pause between exiting second and entering third I usually don't have the problem.

I'm going to be ordering an MGW shifter as soon as I can, I'm anxious to see if that makes much of a difference.
Old 3/6/08, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Same issue here. Post back with your results with the MGW shifter. I'm seriously considering one myself
Old 3/7/08, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same issue as well as some others on the board and the fix for it is take it to the dealership and they will rebuild the tranny.
Old 3/7/08, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
I have the same issue as well as some others on the board and the fix for it is take it to the dealership and they will rebuild the tranny.

+1 Rebuilding worked really well. Though I'm still going to get that MGW eventually!
Old 3/7/08, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
+1 Rebuilding worked really well. Though I'm still going to get that MGW eventually!
Ill be taking mine in on Monday or Tuesday to have them do the rebuild.
how long did they take to do yours?
Old 3/7/08, 03:46 PM
Cobra R Member

I have another thread open about this.
Take it to the dealer ASAP and get it fixed under warranty. My brand new 08 GT/CS has the same issue and is being rebuilt as we speak. Just throwing another new tranny in would be a gamble as to whether it might have the same issue or not.

Last edited by Rebel73; 3/7/08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 3/7/08, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
Ill be taking mine in on Monday or Tuesday to have them do the rebuild.
how long did they take to do yours?
Dropped it off on a Thursday night after hours. They found out Friday or Monday they needed to order parts. I picked the car up in the afternoon the following Thursday - almost a week after dropping it off.
Old 3/13/08, 10:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys that are getting a rebuild. What are the specifics here? Did it do it a lot? Did you get a technical explanation or are they just cracking it open and blindly replacing parts?

Mine has done it 3 maybe 4 times at the beginning of the day, shifting quick on a cold transmission. I just figured it's a typical trait of the transmission. 8,800 miles.
Old 3/18/08, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
You guys that are getting a rebuild. What are the specifics here? Did it do it a lot? Did you get a technical explanation or are they just cracking it open and blindly replacing parts?

Mine has done it 3 maybe 4 times at the beginning of the day, shifting quick on a cold transmission. I just figured it's a typical trait of the transmission. 8,800 miles.
Well from what I can gather they are basicly going in with the midset of replacing 3rd gear, but also it sounds like they are going in blind and hoping to see something.

Dixie, do you have a list of the parts they replaced from your work order?
Old 3/18/08, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine would grind like holding a giant bleeping burr grinder on metal. It would do so every time (A) the car was cold and the day was cold and (B) I shifted at normal speed straight into 3rd from 2nd (never 3rd to 2nd) without a pause over N.

Once warmed up everything appeared fine.

What the shop manager at the dealer told me was that 3rd gear looked like it should have been unusable to me. It looked like the transmission should not have been able to shift into 3rd. They knew exactly what parts to replace because they had the transmission out of the car and opened up, they had to wait a few days for the parts.

I've got 900 miles on the car since then and haven't had any problems with the transmission since (knocks on wood).

If you have the symptoms, make sure you get the service people to check your car out while it's cold - they asked me to leave it overnight so they could check it out in the morning - that left me to believe they knew what they were doing and didn't want to waste either their or my time trying to diagnose.

If it's not grinding on you when the weather warms up, then it may not be an issue until it gets cold again. Just make sure you get them to be aware of the problem while you're under warranty. If you wait until the cars got 20k miles on it, it may look suspicious. They'll still have to fix it, but they may not jump at the chance. At 8k miles, it's still a pretty new car.

Hope this helps - good luck!

EDIT: that was really odd timing Etnix, lol. I have list of the parts, they're at home, I'll look them up and post them. But it was something about a slider block and some other parts. I've no clue about the itsy transmission pieces. :dunno

Last edited by Dixie_Flatline; 3/18/08 at 02:16 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

They told me they will probably replace 3rd gear, but I also get the impression they are going in to "explore" as well.

Dixie do you have a list of what parts were replaced when you had your rebuild done?
Old 3/18/08, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

That describes it exactly. Except it didn't do it every time. Only like 5 times ever and we have had many cold mornings Dec-Feb. I'd bet it would be almost impossible for them to "see" it. The transmission is covered under the 60K warranty isn't it?

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Mine would grind like holding a giant bleeping burr grinder on metal. It would do so every time (A) the car was cold and the day was cold and (B) I shifted at normal speed straight into 3rd from 2nd (never 3rd to 2nd) without a pause over N.

Once warmed up everything appeared fine.
Old 3/18/08, 10:37 PM

Please tell me there is a TSB I can reference for this problem because the dealership near my house can't replicate it and haven't done SQUAT! I've left it overnight with them twice now and, both times, they have said they don't know what I am talking about. They even called in their "head mechanic" to test-drive it in the morning with no results. I even rode with him to try and get it to do it to no avail.

This SUCKS!!!!

I'm a bit stuck because I didn't buy it from them. They just happen to be the Ford dealership within walking distance from my home. I bought it from Ford dealership in a neighboring county through a referral service.

My next move is A) call the dealer I bought it from and let them tell me "It doesn't do it when we drive it." or B) get the referral service on the horn.

Any thoughts???
Old 3/18/08, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

[

I was afraid of the same thing happening. Knowing that I could replicate it, I dropped my car off the night before at the dealership. I did not leave the keys, then I had someone drop me off that morning and I spoke to the service department.

I had a tech ride with me and I replicated it. I didnt even get 10 feet out of the parking lot. He heard the heat shield type rattle, and the 3rd gear grind. The tech looked at me with this stunned look like holy sheet. He then asked me if I could do it again, I shifted into 4th then back down to 3rd real quick... *grind*.

I'd say do that, or make plans to take it to another dealership, but hurry before you loose the cold mornings to summer to be able to replicate it.
Old 3/19/08, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Iceking32 - that does suck - I'd definitely take it to the dealer you bought it at, but keep in mind it's going to be warmed up when you get there. Best thing is to do what Etnix did (smart idea btw!).

Either way, you'll want to get any dealer, preferably the dealer you bought it from, to at least acknowledge you are complaining about this happening while it's cold and under warranty. According to the service manager, the gear assembly was not in a working condition when I brought it in, so I'm guessing it will eventually be evident to any service technician....

There is no TSB for this yet. It hasn't happened to a wide enough number of vehicles. Margin of error in production quality, et cetera, bleepity, et cetera.
Old 3/19/08, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is everyone that is posting here driving an 08?

Quick Reply: Synchros in 3rd.