Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Spark Plug Removal issues?

Old 2/19/08, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Removal issues?

I've seen on other websites that people are having problems removing the spark plugs from the heads on the 3v 4.6L engines...much like the same issues with the 5.4L engine.

Anyone running across this? I was thinking about just pulling the plugs and putting anti-seize on them to be on the safe side...
Old 2/19/08, 10:43 AM
FR500 Member

I've changed mine with no problems, don't know what they're talking about

They are a different size than most plugs. I use a deep socket 9/16 with no trouble whatsoever.
Old 2/19/08, 12:15 PM
Service Manager

Received 428 Likes on 207 Posts
It's a common problem....one that Ford knows about. In fact Ford has a special Ford tool used for removing broken spark plugs from the 3V heads. Don't expect Ford to do anything for you though.....

The problem lies in carbon buildup....the plugs are so long, the build up gets on the plug and they break while you try to remove them...if they are left in for many miles.
Old 2/19/08, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
It's a common problem....one that Ford knows about. In fact Ford has a special Ford tool used for removing broken spark plugs from the 3V heads. Don't expect Ford to do anything for you though.....

The problem lies in carbon buildup....the plugs are so long, the build up gets on the plug and they break while you try to remove them...if they are left in for many miles.
How many miles is many miles? Is it a smart thing to change them at a certain interval to avoid this problem?
Old 2/20/08, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
x2 on what Lynda asked
Old 2/20/08, 07:06 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been hearing more and more about this and now I am a bit concerned. My car has 60,000km and is past the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. That being said, if the plugs are changed at the maintenance interval as recommended by Ford and I should have issues, would Ford repair it for free since it is a known issue?
Old 2/20/08, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I've been hearing more and more about this and now I am a bit concerned. My car has 60,000km and is past the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. That being said, if the plugs are changed at the maintenance interval as recommended by Ford and I should have issues, would Ford repair it for free since it is a known issue?
There was some discussion about this at blueoval forums a few months back because someone was in your exact position and not only was it not covered but it was also MAJOR bucks to retrieve the broken plug. If I can dig up the thread I'll provide a link.
Old 2/20/08, 08:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I will be stopping in at my dealer to ask them about this. It will be a year or two before my plugs need to be changed, but if one should break I will make sure they cover it under the power train warranty, especially if I can find a TSB on it. I wonder if TERRACLEAN is worth investing in. My wifes car just had it done (I think they tricked her into getting it done). According to the manufacturer it cleans carbon from the plugs, O2 sensors, cats, etc. Maybe that will prevent the plugs from breaking.
Old 2/20/08, 08:24 AM
Service Manager

Received 428 Likes on 207 Posts
First NEVER use air tools! My buddy who is a Ford tech has seen them break on even 7K mile & 20K mile cars. They can also break if you don't know how to take them out. There is a TSB on it but that won't get you any help from Ford. Right now there is NO assistance from Ford whatsoever. I would recommend not going past 50K miles without changing the plugs. The time to remove them once broken can be 1/5-2 hours PER hole and if they can't be removed because someone at home really made it worse by trying themselves then the head must be removed. One recommendation...which is not a guaranteed cure is to put anti sieze on the shaft below the threads..NOT the threads(MUST BE Nickel antisieze) and that while I don't think is a complete "cure" will help keep the buildup from sticking to the plug shaft. The problem here has nothing to do with threads but the building up of carbon on the shaft below the threads.
Old 2/21/08, 06:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
sounds like we would be better off just changing them every 20k miles or so. Or at least pull them out clean them. I can't see any kind of anti sieze lasting very long on the exposed threads. I supose we could just have the dealership change them and let them deal with any problems that pop up.
Old 2/21/08, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damm, I would use a cylind grinder at my machine shop and grind the bottom threads off, at least the threads that are beyond the combustion chamber, there for no buildup on threads, Keep the threads that are only screwed into the head..