Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattling noise/ exhaust. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/12, 05:59 PM
Ale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rattling noise/ exhaust. please help!

Hi I went to Ford because my mustang was making a rattling noise and they said it was the exhaust and they had to buy a new part. I read the article that said what was wrong with my car when my technician wasn't there and it says nothing about needing a new part. They want to charge me $275 to fix it. Is that a fair price?

RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION—TRANSMISSION TSB 08-3-4
CROSS-MEMBER EXHAUST MOUNT—BUILT BEFORE
12/3/2007

Here is the article:

http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/08-03-04.pdf
Old 9/10/12, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is your car? Does it rattle only during certain RPMs? Does it rattle after starting it, then go away after a few minutes?

These cars have alot of different rattles
Old 12/14/12, 11:01 PM
Ale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a 2007 and it rattles all the time when it is at a standstill. But once you start driving you can't hear it, unless you go over bumps or make a turn
Old 12/14/12, 11:20 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If you can get the car up on ramps or something look at the exhaust hangers at the crossmember.

The crossmember for the transmission runs perpendicular to the exhaust at the back of the transmission. It support the tail of the transmission and the engine supports the front.

There are two metal hangers one I each side that slide into a grommet type device on the crossmember. These are black rubber on the inside and metal on the outside. Much like a
Smaller version of the sway bar mounts if you know what those look like.

Anyway on the older s197s like mine a 2007. These were used. But the hangers would actually
Pull the rubber down and touch the metal negating the insulating quality of the rubber and causing the metal to metal rattling. Later Mustangs removed this attaching point all together. The exhaust was supported at each end and not in the middle just because it is such a ridged pipe.

If this truly is your problem the fix is to cut the hangers off of each pipe with a dremel or something. Thus removing the problem.

That should be what they propose to do. But I suggest this of it is the actual fix. It won't hurt to do it anyway. But you kind of need to know what you are doing.

I did this to my aftermarket x pipe. The aftermarket h pipe I bought later never had hangers there to begin with.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier today. I had my car on the lift and could have easily taken pictures showing all these parts.

If this is the problem the noise should abound like its coming from directly under the shifter or the console. Maybe even the dash. But it wouldn't sound like its coming from the rear of the car.

I also had an exhaust rattle once that came from the over axle pipe on the passenger side. It was running on the panhard brace support when turning and when load was put on that side.

That's about all I've ever experienced in exhaust rattles.