Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

problem with power windows

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/08, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
problem with power windows

Hello Everyone!
I have a 2005 Mustang with just over 30,000 miles on the car and the warrenty just expired a little over a week ago (12/28/07), and last night a new problem developed with my power windows.

When I left my fiance's house last night I found that both windows were down but the car was still locked, and the same thing happened this morning when I got ready to leave for work.

After I got to work and parked my car (windows up) and opened my door and took the keys out of the ignition both windows went down, but when I put the windows up and locked the car using my key instead of the fob the windows remained closed.

I called the dealer and since the car is out of warrenty I'm looking at anywhere from $45 to $90 just to diagnose the problem (hopefully the repair would be included in the charge, but I have to wait until I take the car in to find out).

My car was built on 12/14/04 and came with an option (global windows?) where I could open the windows with my fob, but after people complained about finding their windows open Ford disabled that option on newer cars and dealers disabled the option on cars when the problem was reported by the owners.

I was wondering if Ford issued a TSB on this problem, and if so can someone please post a link so I can print a copy for the dealer?

Since the car is out of warrenty it looks like I'll have to pay for the repair/disable the option unless I can show that a TSB was issued for the problem so it will be taken care of under warrwnty.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Old 1/19/08, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

That sounds like the dreaded global window issue that caused Ford to disable it sometime during the '05 model year. They never figured out how to make it work properly, so they just deleted the feature and asked dealers to turn it off on the '05's that have the problem. I'm sure your dealer can simply turn the feature off, there should be service bulletins out there for that.
Old 1/20/08, 02:42 AM
Cobra Member

+1 - unfortunately there is no way to disable it yourself. The dealer may try to sell you a new SJB but tell them you just want the global windows feature turned off. Should take about 10min to complete.