Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Mustang studders when taking off.

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/09, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang studders when taking off.

Hey guys. I have noticed that my mustang studders when taking off, and this only happens when the engine gets to its temperature. I don't know if you'll call it a studder, but i'll give you guys an example. Like when I am stopped on a stop sign, when I want to start moving, i put it into 1st and then alternate the clutch and gas. The car feels like the rear wheels are slipping or like doing mini peelouts. This occurs in low rpm's and I have noticed that if i rev it higher, it doesn't do it. I have taken it to the dealer, and they didn't notice anything while they test drove it because my mustang was cold. My mustang has only 4K miles, and I am worried. Any ideas of what is up with my mustang?
Old 11/1/09, 10:53 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vistabluegt
Like when I am stopped on a stop sign, when I want to start moving, i put it into 1st and then alternate the clutch and gas. The car feels like the rear wheels are slipping or like doing mini peelouts.
If I read you correctly, its not the engine sputterring or lagging, correct? Seems like I read another thread about the '10 clutch being a bit grabby. Do you feel its in the clutch/driveline somehow?
Old 11/1/09, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Which year is your Mustang? I know it should be in the 2005 to 2009 range due to the post, but if it is a 2006 or older, it sounds like the TSB on the fuel pump. You say it only happens once the car is "up to temp" which could be the amount of mileage you need to build the air bubbles in the fuel pump. I had this issue with both my '06s. Simple 30 minute fix at the dealer under warranty.
Old 11/1/09, 02:26 PM

cdynaco: It doesn't seem like its from the engine. It feels like its from the gear box or something. Today I drove it and didn't studder.

shaun_beauchamp: My mustang is a 2008 GT. should I take my car to the dealer for them to check it. And should i say that it might be the TSB on the fuel pump?

COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THE FUEL I'M USING? SHOULD I TRY PUMPING GAS FROM ANOTHER GAS STATION A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE?
Old 11/1/09, 04:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vistabluegt
cdynaco: It doesn't seem like its from the engine. It feels like its from the gear box or something. Today I drove it and didn't studder.

shaun_beauchamp: My mustang is a 2008 GT. should I take my car to the dealer for them to check it. And should i say that it might be the TSB on the fuel pump?

COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THE FUEL I'M USING? SHOULD I TRY PUMPING GAS FROM ANOTHER GAS STATION A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE?
Well if its not in the engine it wouldn't be in the fuel. My initial thinking was maybe the MAF was getting dirty and giving funny readings. I've read sometimes the guys with KN filters put a bit too much oil on and that messes up the MAF.

I'm sure the Dealer will take care of you.
Old 11/1/09, 04:50 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be that your clutch is glazed? Not knowing if you've attempted a burn out without lifting off of the clutch pedal completely or if someone else drove it. If that's the case it'll improve on it's own.
Old 11/1/09, 07:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't mind the old man here...
The word of the day is stutter.
Old 11/2/09, 06:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
who's gas do you use? Just wondering?
Old 11/2/09, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean it shudders when you engage the clutch. Than I would say that it sounds like more like a possible glazed (hot-slippy) clutch disc? This was usually caused by slipping the clutch too many times in drag racing? Or by constantly riding your left foot on the the clutch pedal all of the time, back in the day? Just my guess. CalStang
Old 11/2/09, 06:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
If you mean it shudders when you engage the clutch. Than I would say that it sounds like more like a possible glazed (hot-slippy) clutch disc? This was usually caused by slipping the clutch too many times in drag racing? Or by constantly riding your left foot on the the clutch pedal all of the time, back in the day? Just my guess. CalStang
Maybe this is the key to the situation:
"i put it into 1st and then alternate the clutch and gas"
Personally, I let the clutch out slowly and give it some gas.
Old 11/2/09, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you park the car in first gear? If you park the car in gear on an incline and leave it in gear, you can load the clutch plate and if parked for a couple days, this effectively gives you the symptom you described.

It will go away with normal driving after a few days. You MUST use the e-brake when you park the car.
Old 11/2/09, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
Do you park the car in first gear? If you park the car in gear on an incline and leave it in gear, you can load the clutch plate and if parked for a couple days, this effectively gives you the symptom you described.

It will go away with normal driving after a few days. You MUST use the e-brake when you park the car.
We have always parked with tranny put in reverse and with the parking brake just snugged up? CalStang
Old 11/3/09, 08:01 AM

The place I park for school is downhill, and I approximately park there Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3 pm. I ALWAYS use my handbrake. Should I pull it up more? Could that be it? Thanks a lot. I'll try parking my car on leveled ground and see what will happen.

Responding to one of the previous replys: I usually fill up chevron, mobil, or arco.

Last edited by vistabluegt; 11/3/09 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 11/5/09, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Two things, first, when you park, use the handbrake, turn off the car, then put it in gear.

Second, consider a good catch-can setup or valve cover breathers. I had the same exact problem you described, I thought my clutch was going out at 20k miles. Did some research, read a lot and found it was probably from excess blowby that our engines are known for. I put valve cover breathers on, but would recommend looking at a *good* oil catch-can setup (valve cover breathers get smelly sometimes).

Either way, venting the blowby stabilized the car. I haven't taken my intake manifold off yet to inspect, but I'd probably run a can of seafoam too just to clean out the oil build up.

The only thing I can' timagien though, is that this would be your problem at 4k miles, unless you had a really bad tank of gas and dirtied the injectors. In which case, I'd run the can of seafoam through first and see if that doesn't help.