Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/06, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started having the porblem... im going start trying new ways/stations to try to find what workd for mine... i wish ford woudl release a new filler tube if thats the problem...
Old 1/3/06, 08:55 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

But they sure don't mind putting the "BP" suggestionon your gas cap.I have been complaining to the local dealer since day one about this problem. they just tell me to try filling the tank at a slower speed.
:bang: I have tried all of the major brands available here in B'ham.
It still does not get full or will splash back all over the place.
Old 1/9/06, 05:22 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I get it at the Oh crap I am out of gas Walmart(Murphy) gas stations. Its embarassing.

I normally use Shell, where I have NO problems.
Old 1/9/06, 10:12 AM
GT Member

I have had the same problem with the pump shutting off at pumps in California. I get it mostly from Chevron and from Mobil stations here in So. Cal. I have noticed that if it is happening at a certain pump I can stop using that one and go to another one in the same station and voila it works.

This same pump shut off problem used to happen with my 67 mustang too. It seems to be California pump nozzle design if you ask me. The "turn the nozzle upside down" technique seems to back-up my thoughts. I did also notice, although I haven't replicated it much yet, is that if I take my gas cap off and wait a while, then use the pump nozzle, I seem to have a better chance of gassing up in one try.

Just some thoughts. Funny how it also happened to my 67. These new Mustangs have so many features/designs borrowed from the 67 (and others) that it kind of made me laugh when it first happened to me (not that I like it at all...never happened to my 1990 5.0 LX.

Love to hear more opinions about this one!
Old 1/11/06, 11:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I would think EVERYONE has had somekind of bullpoo problem with filling the car, the TSB obviosly didnt 'Fix' anything, and its looking like Fords gonna leave this tank as-is for a couple more years of fun...Ive filled mine twice, it puked twice, second time sprayed me down, made the new car smell a memory...this is a freakin joke. Ive had a lot of cars, pumped a lot of gas the past 25-30 years and NEVER had one that wouldnt fill OR puke gas- let alone do both. pump calibration, nozzle configuration- sorry but Ford needs to fix THEIR DESIGN- and quit pointing fingers at things that never caused a problem before. the sooner the better. My 6 yr old could look at that fill tube and say it looks awfully small...and awfully long...and goes down then up then around then down...must be almost 4 feet long, maybe 3/4" I.D. - maybe the pump calibration is not the problem

I'm suprised the EPA hasnt cracked down on them- heck theyre required by law to suck the fumes from the tanks, and here I am pouring raw gas all over the place. Just a matter of time till someone gets burned- guaranteed it WILL happen somewhere. What happens a few years from now with pollution stuff- if our cars puke and are out of warranty will it be up to us to fix it???

I love this car, and this is a minor thing to me, BUT FORD NEEDS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS AINT NORMAL AND THEY NEED TO REVISE THE DESIGN.
Old 1/12/06, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree. Not only does it **** me off when it overflows and gets on my paint, but it's a safety hazard. I hope they figure it out before we start using liquid hydrogen. You would think after all these years of building automobiles they could take care of this. I would buy something aftermarket to fix it.

Jon
Old 1/13/06, 05:17 PM

How can you bypass the charcoal canister?
Old 1/13/06, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same gas tank problem and took it in to be swapped out. Then the 1st time I tried to fill up the new tank, it cut off at 1/2 tank. Next fill-up was fine. I've had very few problems with this one since. But, the engine light came on about a week later. Took it in, they hooked it to a computer, said vapor leak somewhere.
Turned off engine light, switched locked gas cap for original one. A week later, light was back on. Took it back in again.....they now changed to a different gas cap. They kept my car for 4 days.....just got it back today.......they gave me a POS focus to drive......filthy car for being 2 yrs. old. Just glad to get Lucie back!!! :worship:
Old 1/13/06, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ford4v429@January 12, 2006, 2:25 AM

I love this car, and this is a minor thing to me, BUT FORD NEEDS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS AINT NORMAL AND THEY NEED TO REVISE THE DESIGN.
AMEN!!!
Old 1/13/06, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by teddybear1255@January 13, 2006, 7:46 PM
I had the same gas tank problem and took it in to be swapped out. Then the 1st time I tried to fill up the new tank, it cut off at 1/2 tank. Next fill-up was fine.
Unfortunately, this happened to me, too. My fix was done some months ago and the very same thing happened to me - shut off at 1/2 way. I just shrugged and put the cap back on, deciding that if the problem persisted, I'd take it back. Never happened again until recently, this time at about 3/4 tank.

Much improved over how it used to be, but there are clearly still some gremlins.
Old 1/13/06, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by celticstanger@January 13, 2006, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately, this happened to me, too. My fix was done some months ago and the very same thing happened to me - shut off at 1/2 way. I just shrugged and put the cap back on, deciding that if the problem persisted, I'd take it back. Never happened again until recently, this time at about 3/4 tank.

Much improved over how it used to be, but there are clearly still some gremlins.
I agree, but I can't figure out why they use these tanks in the 1st place, knowing they have these problems! Why don't they build one that works like the other manufacturers do, and they won't have to contend with irrate customers?!?!?!? :scratch:
Old 1/13/06, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SonicStanGirl@January 9, 2006, 11:15 AM
I have had the same problem with the pump shutting off at pumps in California. I get it mostly from Chevron and from Mobil stations here in So. Cal.
Yep, Chevron was always the worst for me too. I recommend anyone with this problem to take their car in and have it fixed asap.
Old 1/14/06, 11:09 AM
V6 Member

So I've lived in 2 different states now, with an '05 V6 and a '06 GT.

The '05 V6 was ok filling up in Phoenix, I never had a problem. I got gas at least once a week (approximately 24 fillups). Usually at a Costco, but also at a Flying J (truck stop). Then I moved to Indiana, and I had an extremely difficult time filling it. I believe in 6 fillups, ALL of them were awful. I had to barely stream gas into it to keep the pump from shutting off. Those were 20 minute gas stops. BP was the worst, by far.

Then I got the '06. The first fill-up it failed (BP). I found it extremely ironic about the "Ford recommends BP" on the gas cap. Neither car like BP.

I have gotten gas 6 or 7 times now without incident. Shell, Murphy's (wal-mart), and Thorntons. BTW, the Thorntons states on the pump that it has the fastest flowing pumps in town, guaranteed. I can still pump there no problem. It's weird. I got gas yesterday at a no-name place (I had extremely limited choices, and no gas left) and it filled fully.

So I stay away from BP. Now that I've posted this, I will probably have problems next time.

joe
Old 2/3/06, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Just checking in again to report that I went to the Arco (BP!) on Beach and Adams in HB to fill 'er up and again got the cut-off at 1/2 a tank. This makes it 2 Chevrons and 1 BP where I've had this issue after having the tank replaced. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 06:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
hey guys and gals-
next time your car wont take gas, or burps gas down the side of the car: please take note of how the car is sitting- frontend slightly uphill or downhill, driver or passenger side sitting lower, etc...I was thinking, the shape of the filler *might* act like a sink trap at certain inclinations...the times mine spewed gas down the side, I think the nose was a little downhill and drivers side was a little low too. The one station that has worked for me so far, has car sitting flat, but slightly nose-up...might be coincidence, but just trying to find rhyme or reason for this seemingly random issue. There has got to be some way to get around the problem.
Old 2/5/06, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ February 3, 2006, 8:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hey guys and gals-
next time your car wont take gas, or burps gas down the side of the car: please take note of how the car is sitting- frontend slightly uphill or downhill, driver or passenger side sitting lower, etc...I was thinking, the shape of the filler *might* act like a sink trap at certain inclinations...the times mine spewed gas down the side, I think the nose was a little downhill and drivers side was a little low too. The one station that has worked for me so far, has car sitting flat, but slightly nose-up...might be coincidence, but just trying to find rhyme or reason for this seemingly random issue. There has got to be some way to get around the problem.
[/b][/quote]
Most of the places I fill are very flat. The Chevron I had the issue at is dead flat, and the Arco had a very slight incline (ie, nose up).

Good thing I fly up to SF to work all week - that 1/2 tank is still keeping me going, 2 weeks later. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Hey CelticStanger!

I have found a Mobil station near me at Adams and Fairview (the one with the car wash). They have pumps there that just have a splash-guard on them (they look kind of old-school)...that accordian looking thing is not on there. I have had ZERO problems filling my car with those types of pumps. Still on the lookout for other gas stations with the old-school looking pumps!

Take a drive out to Costa Mesa and try it...you'll like it! LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SonicStanGirl @ February 6, 2006, 10:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey CelticStanger!

I have found a Mobil station near me at Adams and Fairview (the one with the car wash). They have pumps there that just have a splash-guard on them (they look kind of old-school)...that accordian looking thing is not on there. I have had ZERO problems filling my car with those types of pumps. Still on the lookout for other gas stations with the old-school looking pumps!

Take a drive out to Costa Mesa and try it...you'll like it! LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
I drive by there a lot - that's one of the most expensive areas in OC to buy gas!
Old 2/6/06, 03:45 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(celticstanger @ February 6, 2006, 1:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I drive by there a lot - that's one of the most expensive areas in OC to buy gas!
[/b][/quote]

It isn't the cheapest that is for sure , and I've seen worse gas prices in Irvine/Tustin or in Rancho Santa Marg. But then getting in and out of the station without any pump stopping problems (and people looking at me like I'm some dorky girl who doesn't know how to work a gas pump) is worth the extra few cents sometimes! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 08:03 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi...tsb06_03_13.pdf

Hey Everyone,

An updated TSB has been released that covers the '05 and '06 models. Apparently if you have fuel filling issues with an '06, the fuel tank will not be replaced.

Quick Reply: MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS