Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/05, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my GT back from the dealer with the new gas tank and I am still having fill up problems.Man this sucks! I don't know what else to do now.They told me that even though I have the new tank that I may still have some problems because of the filling tube design. Anybody else out there having problems after new tank was installed?
Old 10/19/05, 12:22 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the problem once after getting the new tank and the problem ended up having to do with the pump, not the car. Never had the problem since.
Old 10/19/05, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my tank replaced several months ago, and just started with the problem again. Could be the gas station, but it used to work fine there.....dunno what to tells ya.
Old 10/20/05, 05:44 AM

It kind of takes the fun right out of the car especially when Ford tells you there is nothing more that can be done about it. I've owned several mustangs over the years and truly love them,especially my 69 Mach 1 that I currently own and my new GT, but this is just bull****! Something that should be so simple as filling up the gas tank. I've had to resort to filling up with 5 gallon gas cans I have at home that I keep for mowing.
Old 10/21/05, 05:47 PM

Read on another forum were this problem was cured by turning the fuel nozzle upside down?
Old 10/21/05, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

That works for me but I feel like a dork hold the nozzle upside down as $40 streams into my tank.
Old 10/24/05, 08:54 AM
GT Member

I was concerned about this as well. I just picked up my 06 gt friday and filled up for the first time yesterday. It filled fine for me except right as the tank got full it overflowed a little before the pump shut off.
Old 10/24/05, 10:56 AM
GT Member

After the gas tank replacement I can fill up my car allright, but if I don't slow down near the very end I get spills... every time I fill up. I have IUP, so I look at how much litres I need before fueling, and slow down before it tops up. Very annoying, I did not take it to my dealer yet. I should, given the price of "the black gold" these days :bang:
Old 10/25/05, 03:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Question

Having over spill problem after getting new tank too. I just don't fill it up all the way!
Will just wait and see what happens next and if Ford can come up with a fix.
Happy Trails!!!
Old 10/25/05, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Mine was built on October 10th, and I have major fuel fill-up problems. I have only filled it up twice, but both times it was a pain. The second time I held the nozzle upside down and it worked fine until it filled up and then dumped about 1/4 of a gallon down the side of my car and on to my foot. Do 2006 models need to be taken in for the TSB? Shouldn't they be using the "better" gas tanks on production models by now?
Old 10/26/05, 07:40 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Man I was going to make an appointment to get my tank replaced, but screw it now. At least my tank doesn't overfill.

The only time I was ever really inconvinenced was when I drove through NJ and I couldn't explain to the no english speaking Mexican gas pumper how to fill it.
Old 10/26/05, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Yupe I said whats the point in getting it fixed, my tank works fine, just in California I had to fill upside down, but now that I moved back east, no problem, just stick it in the hole and let her pump. I have had no issue since moving back here. Probably because of the air recirculation / vacuum seal requirement is very strict in California vs other states.
Old 10/26/05, 10:38 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@October 26, 2005, 11:09 AM
just stick it in the hole and let her pump.

ha ha, he said hole
Old 10/26/05, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Guys,

I never had any problems with fill up but as it's gets colder here in the midwest I've started to notice the problem. I turn the nozzle upside down and it works. And tonight, I turned it upside down then stopped pumping after about 5 bucks, turned it right side up and it pumped the other 25 bucks just fine. Does anyone know if the cold weather is a factor?

THanx in advance..
Old 10/27/05, 12:29 AM

I guess I can't say for sure that the weather has anything to do with it....but mine filled fine all summer until just recently when the Minnesota weather turned a bit cold....

hmmm.....
Old 11/2/05, 02:30 PM

I have had the same problem for about a month now (after a new gas tank) and with no help from my local dealership solving the problem or even trying to discover what the problem was I took my mustang to an independant garage. It was deduced that the charcoal canister is the cause of this problem and this problem is just showing up now because the colder denser air is having a hard time passing through the tightly packed canister. Therefore when we fill up the tank doesn't vent properly and the pump shuts off. Since there is no fix for the canister I have had a bypass valve installed so that I can bypass the charcoal canister and fill up with no problems.

Hopefully Ford will release a larger canister for the 05 Mustang GT's, until then I guess I'll have to wait for the spring before I can go back to filling up normally (without bypassing the canister)

Hope this helps.
Old 11/3/05, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

It's definitely intermittent for me. Most of the time it works perfectly, and I've never had the tank replaced [car built 2/28/05]. I have noticed it doesn't like certain pumps, and so on those I hold the thing upside down. I can think of lots of worse things...

Mike E
Old 11/3/05, 05:30 PM
MSP
Banned

Stop trying to fill the car at Shell Gas Stations.. They use Oxygen in their gasoline, which causes the Gas tank to send pressure back to the pump, and stop the flow..

Use These Gas Stations For Filling up Mustangs..

1. 76

2. Valero

3. Chevron

Simple as that.. This is the most mis-understood problem.. Since I work in the Petroleum industry, your lucky, I have solved your problem..
Old 11/3/05, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 3, 2005, 5:33 PM
Stop trying to fill the car at Shell Gas Stations.. They use Oxygen in their gasoline, which causes the Gas tank to send pressure back to the pump, and stop the flow..
I guess if the oxygen amount varies that could have something to do with it. As I said, it is intermittent. And I use Shell pretty much exclusively, from one of about four different stations. I have experienced the problem only once at a 76 station.

Out of curiosity, this oxygen is gaseous? Like carbonation in beer?

Mike E
Old 11/3/05, 05:52 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by mikeelia@November 3, 2005, 4:47 PM
I guess if the oxygen amount varies that could have something to do with it. As I said, it is intermittent. And I use Shell pretty much exclusively, from one of about four different stations. I have experienced the problem only once at a 76 station.

Out of curiosity, this oxygen is gaseous? Like carbonation in beer?

Mike E

No, its an additive they use in the gas, which some cities, depending on where you live mandate such an additive..

Take the Bay Area in California for instance.. In the NorthBay, like SanFrancisco, they do not use the additive... So your all good there.. But come to the SouthBay, like San Jose, and all Shell stations use it..

Just go to 76,Valero or Chevron and these problems will go away.. This is not to say one station is better than the other.. To me they are all great stations.. I am just giving you all a hint as to what the problem is.. It has never been a problem with Fords gas tanks like some of the recalls suggest.. Ever!! Its all boiled down to this.. Of course, Ford cant tell you to stop using Shell gas, because then a lawsuit would be worth billions of dollars.. Not worth it to Ford.. So they, out of their own pocket bit the bullit and tried to satisfy the customers with swapping out the very fine and good new gas tanks, for the exact same tank.. It is a customer relations situation, coupled to a need to avoid a billion dollar slander lawsuit..

Quick Reply: MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS