Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/05, 06:02 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to say, that I can safely tell you guys this, because only members of this board who read it will be helped by it.. Which means, the amount of people in the country who actually read this post, is not enough to effect the sale of gas from Shell to all Mustangs in the United States.. Not even a fraction of the percentage of Mustang owners will ever read this post.. Only a select few who pay attention will read this.. So consider yourself lucky to come across this post..

Much different than Ford holding a publicized news conference and putting on the record the real problem..
Old 11/4/05, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I've had the problem with 76 [in SoCal] and not had the problem with Shell, and vice-versa, so maybe the pumps have a lot to do with it.

I like the way Shell gas works, so that's what I'm using...

Mike E
Old 11/6/05, 12:08 AM

I've had my 06 for 3 weeks now. First time it overfilled a little. Second time I went to Quik Trip, it shut off half way through, I had to go to a lower speed, it filled up, but overflowed. Third time, I did it at a slower speed, no problems at all (sinclair station). Last time, full speed, overfilled. So, it seems at the Sinclair, at less than full speed it works fine.
Old 11/27/05, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my '05 in June. Dealer called to tell me that the car was in, and a new gas tank was already ordered. (even they couldn't fill it up) I never had the problem, before or after the tank switch, until now. Now it seems like every other time I fill up it takes ten minutes to get $2 in it. Tonight I managed to fill it at slower speed and it overflowed and sprayed gas all over me. Last week I took it in to comment, and they said there was nothing they could do. Just try another pump, they say! What a crock! How can they do so many things right and screw up on somthing so simple? My Honda aint cool, but I don't have issues with it, either.
Old 11/28/05, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jim, where do you live and how cold is it there? Thanks.
Old 11/28/05, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmmm, I guess maybe i'm not gonna bother gettng my tank fixed. I have had the gar about a year now and only ona few occasions have had the problem. I was holding off on putting my dual exhaust on until it was fixed but forget that, I'm tired of looking at the mufflers and pipes in my house and not on my car!
Old 11/29/05, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have not had a problem with filling my gas tank at all. I find it interesting that some people may be having trouble with certian kinds of gas.

On the filler cap for the 2006 Mustang, Ford recomends
"BP Gas" makes you wonder huh
Old 11/30/05, 01:11 AM

Well it is been right around 0 degrees F here for most of November and I have not ever had a problem.......
Old 11/30/05, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I fill up from either Shell, Texaco, or Sunoco depending on where I am when I need gas. I've had to turn the nozzle sideways or upside down only a handful of times. No staion/brand was more prone to this problem than another.

MSP, thanks for the heads up about Valero. I wasn't sure about them and those I asked don't use them. They are all over here in Bergen county NJ and have some of the cheapest prices too. Right now the cheapest as of yesterday is Getty at 1.97 for regular in my town.

Oh and what I can say is VERY accurate is the computer info on gallons used. The pump ALWAYS clicks off at the amount the computer says. If I used 12.8 the pump stops at 12.8, amazes me everytime how accurate it is. No overflow problems.
Old 11/30/05, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 95SVTCobraVA@November 29, 2005, 8:38 AM
I have not had a problem with filling my gas tank at all. I find it interesting that some people may be having trouble with certian kinds of gas.

On the filler cap for the 2006 Mustang, Ford recomends
"BP Gas" makes you wonder huh

I think that is a crock too, but I have the problem at BP stations too. What stinks is I have a 93 octane tune loaded and there are only 2 stations close to home that sell 93. I have the problem at both of them. Turning the pump upside down helps but, the I get runover. First 5 - 6 gallons go in great.
Old 11/30/05, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I never had the problem until the weather go a little cooler. I went to fill up at a Chevron I had filled up at at least 6 times with no problem, but had the fill up problem all of a sudden. I filled up next time at the Shell station with same weather conditions with no problem at all. Could be a pump being picky at the Chevron, but never have a problem at this particular Shell station.
Old 12/4/05, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been putting up with requiring the pump nozzle be inserted upside down in order to fill up for a year. I never had the fuel tank replaced for fears of causing new problems.

Recently, I stumbled upon a cure! I needed a fill-up early one Sunday morning, and the Getty station I usually go to was closed. I went further down the road to a Sunoco station that apparently has newer pumps, and I was able to fill up normally.

I've been to that Sunoco station 3 more times, and not a single problem filling up!
Old 12/6/05, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

My dealer ordered a new tank for mine the day I picked it up. They too could not fill it. This was back in June. I haven't had a problem until the last two fill-ups. I have used the same gas, same station, same pump since I got the car. Now, I have to do the turn the thing upside down trick to get a full tank. :bang:
Old 12/8/05, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've posted this workaround before, but since folks are still having issues...

My car has had the tank filling problem since it was new in Mar '05. I found that if I stick the pump nozzle in all the way, then back it out until the rubber fume-catcher sleeve or whatever it is on the pump is just touching the filler neck plate, I can fill at full pump speed with no problems.

I have the IUP so I always check the fuel used anyway, just so I know how much should be going in, but this method has worked for me for several months now - the pump doesn't shut off before it should, and it never overfills.
Old 12/9/05, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wjones14@December 8, 2005, 1:43 PM
I've posted this workaround before, but since folks are still having issues...

My car has had the tank filling problem since it was new in Mar '05. I found that if I stick the pump nozzle in all the way, then back it out until the rubber fume-catcher sleeve or whatever it is on the pump is just touching the filler neck plate, I can fill at full pump speed with no problems.

I have the IUP so I always check the fuel used anyway, just so I know how much should be going in, but this method has worked for me for several months now - the pump doesn't shut off before it should, and it never overfills.
Rubber fume-catcher sleeve or whatever? Nope. No such thing around these here parts of Texas. Not even a slash guard thingy on alot of 'em. :bang:
Old 12/12/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Next time try lifting the back end of the handle just slightly when it's going in and holding it until you get about a gallon or two in. Then let go and see if it keeps going on its own. This has worked for me on many pumps that are real picky. I got a new tank last May too and it's a whole lot better, but still some problems occur.
Old 12/13/05, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have an 05. Slow to fill a few times in 6 months, 4900 miles.
Use local Texaco for every fill up except during hurricane evac.
Has happened at "my" Texaco, and a station outside of
San Antonio. HOT weather every time, cold not an issue here.
No other customers having problems at same time. Texaco
station owner came out to comment on car once- I told him of slow fill up problem, he said 99% of complaints come from
Ford owners. He was being nice, not a jerk at all.
Old 12/15/05, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dealer says angle of filler neck contributes to slow fill.
Said could be old pump or slow pump, pumps not created equal.
Old 12/20/05, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Only two fillups on my car so far.

First one was without issue.

The second one I started having problems about halfway through. I slowed down the flow rate and then slowly increased it until I was back up to full flow after a few gallons had gone in. It filled up clean after that.
Old 12/30/05, 01:20 AM
V6 Member

I have had this problem since day one with my '05 V-6! I live in Calif. so it is not a cold-weather problem. I use only Chevron gas so it is not a Shell gas station problem. I have backed-off the nozzle slightly and it only helps a little. I have rotated and changed nozzle angles and direction with only limited success. Sometimes it fills just fine, and other times it takes 20-minutes to fill the tank--try that at rush hour with some angry #$@% in line behind you! (I just show them the Ford TSB and tell them to keep their shirt on!) The problem is not the tank, it is the super-skinny plastic filler tube that connects the inlet to the tank: crawl under your wheel well and check it out sometime, it's only about 1 1/2" wide! If the gas enters too quickly, it chokes off the tube and the pump nozzle shuts-off the way it's designed to when it senses back pressure. The only answer is to fill the tank slowly (I use a thimble now). Some stations just set their pumps faster to move people in and out quicker: that's too bad for us. :bang:

Quick Reply: MORE GAS FILL UP PROBLEMS