Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Interior Rattles, Squeaks, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/05, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed that my stupid dashboard is rattling lately. My Mustang has only 5K miles so far and while my 1999 Pony is rattle free inside, my 05' already has sounds coming from 2 spots on the dashboard area (at least that's my best guess).

Not sure about anyone else, but the fact that both the ENTIRE dashboard and most of the doors are made of hard plastic really bothers me. In the 99-04 model year, the entire dash was made of that semi-rubbery-plasticky material. When two pieces of that material rub, no sound can be heard.

Now in the 05+ generation, everything is hard and cheap = plastic. I wonder how many of us will have a nice quiet interior by time these cars have 50K miles on them. I'm only at 5K and already I'm hearing things. I noticed if I tap my steering wheel from the bottom (in an upwards direction), I hear a dash rattle by the passenger door!
Old 11/5/05, 12:00 PM

I have to say I'm very disappointed in the squeaks and rattles in my GT. My last GT didn't make a sound even after 85K miles. You could see felt between all the plastic joints. This car doesn't seem to have any of that. Cheap clip on parts made from the cheapest materials they could find. Very diappointed in the quality of this vehicle.

FORD you better get on the stick and fast...This may be my last mustang or Ford product for that matter.
:notnice:
Old 11/5/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whine, whine, whine.

That's what warranty's are for. Take it in!
IMHO the new Mustang is tighter and put together better than any Mustang I've had. I don't have a single rattle anywhere, and if I did I'd have them fix it.
Old 11/5/05, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

You people are fugging nuts. my 02, 03, and 04 mustangs were made of cheaper plastics and rattled all over the place. the new one is far superior.
Old 11/5/05, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree about he 05 being much better on the rattle/squeek issues. My 03 went back to the dealer three times for various squeeks, rattles and other noises. they rre-welded a panel on the passenger rear for a creeking noise every time I started out from a stop, and they loosened the whole dash and installed felt behind it to stop the dash from rattling.

The 05 has been (so far) very quite inside, and yes, there is a lot of hard plastic inside, but it's way better integrated and fitted in every way over the 03. That's not to say that regular production tolerances will cause one to be built that is a noise maker.
Old 11/6/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have 1000K on my car and have taken it back 3 times for a rattle that turned into a clunk noise when I go over bumps. I have been Stang less for 3 days while they try to find what is wrong
I will post what was wrong "IF" they fix it this time. Though I am not mad one bit. My salesman asked me how I was doing with my car and I told him "Well, The dash rattles, the Axel Whines, the CD player skips and I would buy 10 more just like it". I LOVE this car, and like someone else just said thats what warranty's are for. We all have to keep in mind that we got this car with a ton of performance for a pretty low price. Testing a new car takes a lot money and Ford wanted to keep the cost down so less testing was done. If you want to pay more for your cars let them know.
Old 11/6/05, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by grrr428@November 5, 2005, 3:12 PM
Whine, whine, whine.

That's what warranty's are for. Take it in!
IMHO the new Mustang is tighter and put together better than any Mustang I've had. I don't have a single rattle anywhere, and if I did I'd have them fix it.

Simple reason why yours doesn't rattle. YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA where it doesn't get cold out.

When it was 90 out everyday my car didn't make a peep either. Now that's it 40 out, it squeks like crazy. Oh wait, it's my fault for living in the North East. :bang:
Old 11/6/05, 06:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Redfire 'o5@November 6, 2005, 7:55 PM
Simple reason why yours doesn't rattle. YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA where it doesn't get cold out.

When it was 90 out everyday my car didn't make a peep either. Now that's it 40 out, it squeks like crazy. Oh wait, it's my fault for living in the North East. :bang:

You Yankees are always the ones who start complaining first.
Old 11/6/05, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by vistablue mustang@November 6, 2005, 11:17 AM
Testing a new car takes a lot money and Ford wanted to keep the cost down so less testing was done. If you want to pay more for your cars let them know.
If anything, MORE testing was done on this re-designed vehicle. If you read "Mustang 2005 - A New Breed of Pony Car", there are references to the types of testing conducted.

Interior squeaks and rattles were part of what was significantly reviewed.

People seeing these types of issues more than likely are dealing with assembly issues, magnified by the effects of temperature.

After looking over the plastic surfaces quite closely, I would agree with people who say it looks "cheap". The interior on GM's Pontiac G6 has a nicer feel and appearance.

However, it will not deter me from a future purchase.
Old 11/7/05, 03:44 AM
GT Member

Agree that there are two major rattle/sqeak areas in the dash. I have 2500 miles on the 06 and have the same issues. I am reading that it is pretty common. When I go in for service, I will address the issue. Maybe they will come up with a fix.

Also agree that lots of the interior is sort of cheap plastic. However I am sure that if I paid another 10k for a higher end car I might get away from that issue. Or maybe it would really be more like a 50k car to get away from the cheap plastic.

But, I still love the beast. If anyone noticed, it is not a luxury car and the ride is a bit stiff. But it handles real nice.

Geeze, last night I was passing folks at 90 mph in driving rain on the beltway. I figured I must be nuts, but the car was not even breathing hard. An it is a V6.

I am getting a Valentine radar detector soon. Never had the need before.
Old 11/7/05, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've been noticing (especially now that it's gotten cold up here in Washington) that my dash is rattling pretty bad now too. Fortunately it is only at high speeds for the most part. Just another thing to add to the laundry list.
Old 11/9/05, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@November 6, 2005, 1:17 PM
I only have 1000K on my car and have taken it back 3 times for a rattle that turned into a clunk noise when I go over bumps. I have been Stang less for 3 days while they try to find what is wrong
I will post what was wrong "IF" they fix it this time. Though I am not mad one bit. My salesman asked me how I was doing with my car and I told him "Well, The dash rattles, the Axel Whines, the CD player skips and I would buy 10 more just like it". I LOVE this car, and like someone else just said thats what warranty's are for. We all have to keep in mind that we got this car with a ton of performance for a pretty low price. Testing a new car takes a lot money and Ford wanted to keep the cost down so less testing was done. If you want to pay more for your cars let them know.
UPDATE

Well, after 3 days and silicone and sound proofing the whole pasenger dash the loud "tick" noise is still there. Though I am not whining, just giving you guys with dash noise and update to what could have been a possible fix.
Old 11/9/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I kind of expected the rattles. It's the first year of a major redesign so problems are expected. This happens with most makes, including those like Honda and Toyota. No big deal, it's what warranties are for. All that being said, I've been very impressed with the car. Once I make the time to fix the door jamb rattle, the one that sounds like it's coming from the passenger side dash, and get the rear axle whine TSB done I'll be thrilled. I'd buy one all over again even knowing of the problems I've had. Just be patient, isolate the rattle, and stuff foam around it. It's a pain but better than leaving the car with the dealer for 3 days and still not getting it fixed.................
Old 11/9/05, 02:14 PM
V6 Member

Thankfully, my 2006 has no rattles after about 850 miles (give it time, I guess?). If you have rattles you should definitely spank Ford and bring it in. Rattles can be very distracting while driving.

One thing bothering me is the seatbelt at high speeds with the window down. The part of it between my left shoulder and the back wall flaps in the wind like mad. >
Old 11/9/05, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by autothing@November 4, 2005, 7:03 PM
I have noticed that my stupid dashboard is rattling lately. My Mustang has only 5K miles so far and while my 1999 Pony is rattle free inside, my 05' already has sounds coming from 2 spots on the dashboard area (at least that's my best guess).
That's because on your 1999, all the plastic rubbed away.

Seriously though, I had one major rattle in my driver door and took her in under warranty work. They patched that right up...a loose wire harness and they insulated something else (I forget).

Other than when I'm on rough road, the car really doesn't make a peep. Rough road though...*squeak* *creak* all the way.
Old 11/9/05, 08:28 PM
GT Member

My only rattle is in the center console and appears to be the e-brake handle rattling against the housing. When I push it slightly to the side, the noise stops. I am going to take it apart and put a piece of felt on the plastic inside rather than be without the car for days and deal with possible grease stains and/ or scratches from a careless mechanic.
Old 11/9/05, 09:10 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by KevinS@November 9, 2005, 5:17 PM
One thing bothering me is the seatbelt at high speeds with the window down. The part of it between my left shoulder and the back wall flaps in the wind like mad. >

+10000000000

my car has a few rattles which is annoying, because my last car didn't start to rattle until it was 6 - but it cost more then the stang so i didn't expect it to be of the same quality level....

the REALLY annoying thing is that i took the car into a dealership to get some window trim replaced and now the door rattles :bang: when i took it back in and told them about it, it came back jsut the same b/c they "couldn't duplicated the sound".

argh
Old 11/11/05, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I tried to find the sound my self but no luck I checked everything in the passenger dash (can't duplicate it when the car is stopped), except on thing there is a large black box there that is bolted shut I am starting to think thats where it's coming from. You know it's funny you mention grease stains I always have one or two on the IUP when I get it back and when they were working on it they gashed the poo out of my parking brake, so now it HAS to go back to get a pic taken so they can replace it. I am more then likely to find the noise my self and tell them how to fix it. Going to check the struts in the front while I am at it.
Old 11/20/05, 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Talking

I noticed that those of you without rattles:

A ) Live in nice, warm climates and/or
B ) Have low mileage still

Let's just hope the "best Mustang ever" truly does apply to you guys. For me, I still do love the darn thing -- even went out a bought the Saleen version (could've bought a much more rattle/sqeak-less German car, but what fun would that be compared to a hot yellow Mustang?!?)

Anyways, I've recently picked up the whining sound too, which apparently the TSB calls "Axle Whine". Ford dealer thinks it's the exhaust, which by the way is defective as well in all 2005 Saleens (but that would be Saleen's fault and not Ford, to be fair). The axle while is 100x WORSE than the interior rattles... I hear the sound even when not in the car and 2 separate visits to Ford were futile -- they just kept the car and never called me first. I call them 7 hours later each visit and they can't find any issues, which those of you with axle whine must find as entertaining a response as I did. That whine is truly excruciating and I hope the new exhaust proves to them I was right. Okay, end of venting session and thank you for your time, lol.
Old 11/22/05, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

I agree the exle whine or rear gear setup is most annoying. The Mustang I briefly owned, and the other one I test drove made the noise.