Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

How do I prepare MYSELF for warranty work?

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/06, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I prepare MYSELF for warranty work?

Hello everyone!

Just curious, how do I prepare MYSELF for warranty work? Have to take "Thor" in for that dash rattle TSB and want to be prepared. The dealership I am going to already knows what I have on the car, probably have it listed in my file. Therefore, going to the trouble of putting everything back to stock wouldn't make sense. Am I gonna have to take my lumps or do I have ground to stand on when they say that is not under warranty?

Jon
Old 11/5/06, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as there is no way your mods could have caused the dash rattle, no problem. Ford has to PROVE that your modifications caused the problem. For example, a CAI will not cause a dash rattle, nor will a different exhaust system cause an oil leak.
Old 11/5/06, 07:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Dash rattles have nothing to do with your mods.
Think of it this way...
If you paint your car purple, they can't void the engine warranty,
Old 11/6/06, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

My advice would be not to become too paranoid about your warranty. First of all, your dealer cannot void your warranty. He can refuse to fix a problem with an aftermarket part you have put on. And, I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, as karman and theedge67 said, your dealer will have to fix a warrantied item if it has nothing to do with your mods.

I've tried to be completely up front with my dealership. They know what I have on the car and I don't try to hide it. In fact, I bought my CAI there. The only thing I have had fixed in a year and a half by the dealer was the brake fluid reservoir leak. Nothing to do with the CAI, underdrives, alum driveshaft etc. and they replaced the reservoir with no hassle. No leaks since.
Old 11/6/06, 08:32 PM
eci
Banned

I bet they could deny a rattle due to aftermarket mufflers...

It would be easy to make the argument that the added vibrations and resonance of say Borla S's caused rattles that wouldn't have come otherwise. Playing devils advocate here...
Old 11/6/06, 10:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I see your point ECI, except I have Flows on the car not Stingers. I guess its gonna come down to the dealership. They do sell Roush stuff but that is no guarantee. I'm sort of stuck, they are the most convenient dealership for me to go to, however, since I've been there a couple of times for oil changes, they are well aware of what is on the car. We shall see.

Jon