Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

High Pitched Wind Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/07, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
High Pitched Wind Noise?

I seem to have developed a high pitched, shrill,wind noise at high, sustained, speeds. It starts at about 73 and gets really loud (and, annoying) at a steady 75. 90% of my driving is at this speed.

I have tightened the external mirrors, and worked the trim at the bottom of the windshield, which seems to have reduced it quite a bit. But, it is still there. The windshield has never been worked on.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for where else this may be coming from. Any information or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11/1/07, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure the door windows are all the way up? May need some adjustment?
Old 11/2/07, 01:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your shorty antenna a solid piece, i.e., does it have the curves on the staff like the OEM one? If it's a solid piece, that's probably your problem. Took me a few months to figure it out and I have the same thing above 70mph.
Old 11/2/07, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

The windows are up and tight. I washed her yesterday and ran a heavy stream of water around the molding.

And, yes, I have the solid shorty antenna. Thanks for the advice on this, it drives me nuts since so much time is spent of the interstate.
Old 11/2/07, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Got same noise! Short Antenna too. How did you sort it? Put back old one or is there a fix?

Thanks
Old 11/2/07, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
The windows are up and tight. I washed her yesterday and ran a heavy stream of water around the molding.

And, yes, I have the solid shorty antenna. Thanks for the advice on this, it drives me nuts since so much time is spent of the interstate.
Take it off and go for a test drive. Bet ya that's it.

Originally Posted by Eduardo de Sousa
Got same noise! Short Antenna too. How did you sort it? Put back old one or is there a fix?

Thanks
Kooks headers and music cranked up fixed it for me!!!

or find an antenna that has the wrap around it like the OEM. This breaks up the wind and you won't get that sound. You could also cut the OEM antenna down and even put the little ball back on it. That's been done a bunch of times.
Old 11/10/07, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Finally got the chance to cut down the stock antenna. Took her for a run this morning, and no noise.

Scramblr: Thanks for the advice. I was at Rhein Main in '79 with a new Silver over Black Mustang Cobra...loved the run to work and home. Glad to see you are still showing the flag on the bahn. Cheers.
Old 11/10/07, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Finally got the chance to cut down the stock antenna. Took her for a run this morning, and no noise.

Scramblr: Thanks for the advice. I was at Rhein Main in '79 with a new Silver over Black Mustang Cobra...loved the run to work and home. Glad to see you are still showing the flag on the bahn. Cheers.
Glad it worked out for you!!!! I was at Ramstein from '00 - '06 and now up at Geilenkirchen (NATO) base on the German - Holland border for a couple more years. Autobahn's are a blast in these cars.
Old 11/15/07, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I read this correctly the short antena was the issue ?

And you decided to replaced it back with a modified OEM antena ?
Old 11/17/07, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

That's correct...the shorty antenna, without the wrap, was the problem, at around 75 mph.

I cut the stock antenna down, which has the wrap around it, and used the ball from the shorty for the top, and no more wind noise.