Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help – Alarm will not activate

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/08, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help – Alarm will not activate

My factory alarm will not activate (does not flash blinkers and beeps twice as if the doors, trunk, or hood is open). One of two things likely caused this problem but because of the sequence of events I can’t tell which: 1) I had an auto body shop replace my hood from an accident and 2) my battery went dead (not drained, dead, as in can’t hold a charge anymore even after plenty of charging) note: the alarm worked after the accident before I took it to the auto body shop. Also, since my battery died at the auto body shop, I wasn’t able to test the alarm after they did the work and before I replaced the battery. The auto body shop had to jump the car so I could go home, and the next time I drove the car I had to jump it to take it in for a new battery.

I know this is impossible to diagnose in a forum but I do have some specific questions that might help me diagnose the problem:
1) Can a dead battery (or disconnecting & reconnecting the battery) cause the alarm to not want to activate?
2) Is there a way to “reset/re-calibrate” the alarm?
3) I found before that if the hood is open the alarm will not activate and you get two beeps. Where are the sensors for the hood that let the alarm know the hood is open/closed so I can look to see if the body shop did something with them?

Thanks!

Last edited by spike; 10/20/08 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10/22/08, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed

Never mind. I found the hood sensor. It's on the passenger side along the fender right next to the engine bay fuse box. It appears that the body shop didn’t reconnect the electrical connector (among other things). In case anyone else has the same problem, here’s some pics of its location.

edit: for more on the other things the body shop did poorly, feel free to check out my other thread http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=468538
Attached Thumbnails -hoodsensor1.jpg   -hoodsensor2.jpg  

Last edited by spike; 10/22/08 at 08:51 AM.