Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gas Tank Issue - '07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/08, 10:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Tank Issue - '07 GT

I've had my 2007 GT for about 16 months and 15,000 miles now and it's been great. I've had no problems and I love driving it . But - I am starting to have trouble occasionally filling the gas tank. It happens every few weeks and it's pretty irritating when it does. I never had this problem for the first 6 months or so and I thought I was safe. I know it was a big issue on most 05's and 06's. I found that turning the nozzle upside down solves the problem. Does anyone else have this happening? Should I take it to the dealer and what is the fix? thanks
Old 2/8/08, 12:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine it will happen if I try and fill it too fast. I usually put it on the slowest setting and it is fine. Still, once in a while.....
Old 2/8/08, 02:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine does it occasionally, too. I feel like a retard standing there with the nozzle upside down, but it works. To the best of my knowledge, there's no fix from Ford.
Old 2/8/08, 05:35 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My 07 GT is doing it with less than 5k miles. It doesn't matter what speed I fill at or which gas station pump. It doesn't even matter if the ambient is 30F or 75F. The car is very temperamental.
Old 2/8/08, 06:04 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=75519
Old 2/8/08, 06:24 AM
GT Member

I happen to solve this by going to the next gas station.....very strange, to me. Havent tried to put the handle up side down, but filling slowly usually doesnt work for me.
Old 2/8/08, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
My '07 does it occasionally too.
Old 2/8/08, 11:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MorrisMustang
I've had my 2007 GT for about 16 months and 15,000 miles now and it's been great. I've had no problems and I love driving it . But - I am starting to have trouble occasionally filling the gas tank. It happens every few weeks and it's pretty irritating when it does. I never had this problem for the first 6 months or so and I thought I was safe. I know it was a big issue on most 05's and 06's. I found that turning the nozzle upside down solves the problem. Does anyone else have this happening? Should I take it to the dealer and what is the fix? thanks
See my thread I posted. I haven't had any problems since disassembling the right side gas vent all the way back through the emissions canisters and blowing everything out. I'm not sure exactly where the obstruction was, but it seems fixed... at least for now.
Old 2/8/08, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

It's really perplexing on my 07 as well. I usually gas up at the same station and using the same pump will sometimes fill all the way, sometimes not.

.....strange!
Old 2/8/08, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

They ordered me a new gas tank before I even picked the car up from the dealership! I still have problems occasionally, but it seems to have gotten much better. I can't imagine why Ford can't figure it out. This isn't rocket science, for Pete's sake, it's a gas tank!
Old 2/8/08, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Mine does it on occasion as well and a lot has to do with the nozzles especially the vapor control nozzles we have to use here in California.

The one thing that you can try is finding the vent line coming off the fuel tank that goes to the solenoid under that pan at the rear of the car . Remove it and blow it out. There is supose to be a little filter inside it also and you can wash it out it tends to get plugged.
Old 2/8/08, 11:58 PM
V6 Member

thanks

well.......I guess I'm not the only person having this happen. it's not the end of the world, I guess. I don't think it has anything to do with which gas station it's at. I use the same one near my house and sometimes now it happens there too. I was irked the other day 'cause I was on empty and could only get like $5.00 in there and then I went to another station about a mile away and the same thing happened. So, switching stations didn't work that day. But, I still love the car and no other problems. Could always look like a retard and turn it upside down!
Old 2/9/08, 08:37 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MorrisMustang
well.......I guess I'm not the only person having this happen. it's not the end of the world, I guess. I don't think it has anything to do with which gas station it's at. I use the same one near my house and sometimes now it happens there too. I was irked the other day 'cause I was on empty and could only get like $5.00 in there and then I went to another station about a mile away and the same thing happened. So, switching stations didn't work that day. But, I still love the car and no other problems. Could always look like a retard and turn it upside down!
FYI - When trying to find info about my problem, I discovered that there were a couple of class-action lawsuits being brought in CA due to this problem... and Ford's failure to offer a fix.
Old 2/9/08, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.

The 'crude drawings' were actually very insightful. I didn't realize Mustangs had a divider in the tank like that. Now it makes more sense.
Old 2/9/08, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Nozzles do in fact play a part in this. I have been going to the same station for over 1.5 years then about one month ago they installed all new nozzles. Now I cannot fill the car at that gas station any more.
Old 2/9/08, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Like the link posted earlier demonstrates, this is a basic design flaw in the gas tank. There's no need to pull anything off the car and try to fix it unless you want to install a completely new gas tank (and not a Ford Mustang one from a dealership). 'Supposedly' the 07+ mustang gas tanks don't have this problem as much, but I had Ford swap mine and it did little to change the problem. Air gets trapped in one side of the tank and the nozzle thinks the gas tank is full when its' not.

I find that not holding down the pump handle all the way pretty much eliminates the problem. It allows the air from the far side of the tank escape before fuel fills up the near side of the tank, so the nozzle doesn't click off before the tank is full.
Old 2/9/08, 08:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MontereyDave
The 'crude drawings' were actually very insightful. I didn't realize Mustangs had a divider in the tank like that. Now it makes more sense.
It's a Mustang, that's "the saddle" tank.
Old 2/10/08, 12:43 AM
V6 Member

yep me too, if I wait till she's running on empty it fills fine, but anything more then 1/8 tank it's a pain to fill up.