Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel fill issue strikes at most opportune time...

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/07, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel fill issue strikes at most opportune time...

Gotta love the filler-neck design on our S197s... a lot of us have been there... and a lot of us are still living the nightmare.. here's how today's events played out:

It's 3:30pm, and only 103 degrees today (NorCal).. ran the tank down as usual (with maybe 1 gal still in tank). Pull into my local fueling center (Valero), and stick to my normal ritual to allow fuel to enter my stang. Start filling at lowest fill speed.. everything's cool up until 5.2 gallons... then CLICK... Let the games begin! Tried to restart fill, no dice. Turned nozzle to the left.. to the right.. upside down.. inside out (if that would be possible).. no deal, Pony does not want to feed. (even tried the bumper shake). Then, trying to outsmart the inferior filler neck design, I pull back the spring loaded vacuum nozzle seal backward to allow vapor to escape and start filling.... yep, you guessed it, fuel backed up and poured over my hand, filled the cap area, and ran down my freshly detailed quarter panel. Man, I'm seeing red at this point. Gave up @ 7.2gallons in... Pony was done. Only solution left was to abandon the station, drive around the block, and sneak back up on the pumps. 2nd trip allowed me to add another 7.6 gallons... fuel challenge over until next fillup. I know it's been asked, but is anyone aware if a larger diameter filler neck can be swapped in for the crappy Ford design? Or should I just pack a lunch and a cold one for my next musical fuel station trip? I've got a 5/3/06 build date 2006GT, so the fuel tank TSB does not apply. Thx.
Old 8/30/07, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny you posted this very topic, I had this issue last week and just filled this afternoon at the same station, same pump as past few months and today it filled with no issue, last week I had to force feed the tank. My dealer says there is no fix, we all know better.
Old 8/30/07, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShowGT
Funny you posted this very topic, I had this issue last week and just filled this afternoon at the same station, same pump as past few months and today it filled with no issue, last week I had to force feed the tank. My dealer says there is no fix, we all know better.
My '05 v6 had the fuel fill problem. I never took it in because I knew it would never end up actually fixed so I figured why bother. The only time it REALLY peed me off was on road trips because I could never tell which "shut off" meant it was actually full. Get in the car, watch gas gage, pump more, get in the car, watch gas gage......Either that or stop more times or end up in the middle of nowhere with no gas. Grrr.

BUT, knowing this, I turned around and did what? Bought another one, an '06 GT. You're right, we all know better. But we keep buying them anyway. And they know we will, whether they fix them or not. More Grrr.
Old 8/30/07, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the gas tank replaced on my '05 V6 in July and exactly 4 weeks later the same problem came up again...

Also see here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69156

I guess, now I have to "live with it"...
Old 8/30/07, 07:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I've started having problems with that in the last couple of months on my V6. I can always fill it if I turn the hose upside down, but it's a hassle.

I hope my new 08 GT doesn't have the same issue.....

Originally Posted by hhbh720
I had the gas tank replaced on my '05 V6 in July and exactly 4 weeks later the same problem came up again...

Also see here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69156

I guess, now I have to "live with it"...
Old 8/30/07, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

OK, I'm up to 6,000 miles on my GT since I got it in April. I've gone through quite a few fill-ups at multiple stations and never had an issue. It has to be related to either a clogged vent or fuel slosh in the neck. Since it doesn't affect every single car I doubt it's the neck. My money is on a clogged vent somewhere.
Old 8/31/07, 07:56 AM

Check out this "tech" article from another forum...
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591

Mine is an '06 and have never had the problem.
Old 8/31/07, 09:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Interesting, I didn't know the vent had a filter on it. That could explain my problem since it didn't happen untill I had the car a couple of years.

If I was going to keep the car, I think I would just take it back to the Dealer and have them fix it! But, I should be getting my new 08 GT in a matter of days now, so I'll deal with it on that car if the same problem shows up!

Originally Posted by RedHorse1
Check out this "tech" article from another forum...
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591

Mine is an '06 and have never had the problem.