Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Frustrations: Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/15, 09:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Sweet! Yeah, I plan on trying to get back much of the mods I did on Whinnie, like the SCT tuner etc. I definitely want my Bluetooth stereo back. Sync was easy to use in the '15 rental
I got a 'tranzit blu' bluetooth:fm modulator in mine, its pretty handy, links automatically soon as key turned on...

good luck in your search- while personally I'm partial to blue, if contemplating colors, check out a clean redfire in the sun- that color really 'pops' in the sun...
Old 4/21/15, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Sad day.
Saw one car today, but it was horrible. Yeah, it looked ok...lots of dings and dents not visible in photos...but the trans was on its way out and the brake pedal went to the floor!
Old 4/21/15, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still can't believe that image is of a "totaled" vehicle. Does it really cost that much to repair a car with this much aftermarket support?
Old 4/21/15, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
I still can't believe that image is of a "totaled" vehicle. Does it really cost that much to repair a car with this much aftermarket support?
It might not be that expensive. But, very time consuming and if I did fix it up I run the risk of future issues as well as when trying to sell it later, no one wants a car with a salvaged title.
Old 4/21/15, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I got a 'tranzit blu' bluetooth:fm modulator in mine, its pretty handy, links automatically soon as key turned on...

good luck in your search- while personally I'm partial to blue, if contemplating colors, check out a clean redfire in the sun- that color really 'pops' in the sun...
Funny thing, ever since the '05 came out, Redfire has always been a fav. And, since the car I looked at today (a black one) turned out to be horrible) I spotted another one in Redfire I want to look at!
Old 4/21/15, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Enfynet
Yes.

It's not like the old days where you can just bolt up a new panel, or cut out and weld a bad piece, bend out the frame and it'll be ok.

The frame has to be perfect when repaired. This can be costly, if the frame's bent bad enough. And yes, that much push on the back sure can bend it.

The body panels have to be cut out much more than just the back few inches, and rewelded *to the original spot welds*. Even the *exact* type of bonding glue in between the panels must be used. The repair instructions are very, insanely specific about how to do a repair on the frame or body. You are, in effect, redoing the original manufacturing down to the welds and glue.

So in this case, the entire quarter panels have to be cut off and new skins put on, exactly to original specs. The frame must taken out and put back in with new frame parts. Even the floor boards might need replacing, looks like, to get it right, from what I see.

This is all about making sure the car bends *again* in the right places when it's hit again.

This is why a $10,000 value car with what appears to be fairly light, "that'll buff right out!" damage can be totaled... what you don't see is the killer stuff.

The liability is the reason. Manufacturers specify how the car is made to protect the passengers, due to federal mandates. An insurance company is simply NOT ALLOWED to let a car go back out in less than that condition, or they are liable for the car killing/maiming someone when it shouldn't have. This is also why there's a salvage title immediately applied to the car when they've said "that's enough, this one's done."

And it's why a salvage/flood/reconstructed title makes it hard to insure or sell.

It sucks so much. But the days of the '60s and early 70's cars are way, way over.

Last edited by houtex; 4/21/15 at 09:01 PM.
Old 4/21/15, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Tuning back in to your series Luke... wow, I am sorry to see you lost your Pony.

The problem I see with trying to go with a Pony like your old one is that they are aging... 2009 was 6 years ago and that's about as recent as you can get without going to the different body styles. Getting a V8 would be fun but I am sure a lot of them were hammered by prior owners, so you need to be really careful so that you don't get one that was flogged to within an inch of its life.

If my 2005 were destroyed I'd go with the 2015. To me, the older ones like my 2005 are now suspect since they are old! Since you said a 2015 isn't an option for you, can you swing a 2013?
Old 4/22/15, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Tuning back in to your series Luke... wow, I am sorry to see you lost your Pony.

The problem I see with trying to go with a Pony like your old one is that they are aging... 2009 was 6 years ago and that's about as recent as you can get without going to the different body styles. Getting a V8 would be fun but I am sure a lot of them were hammered by prior owners, so you need to be really careful so that you don't get one that was flogged to within an inch of its life.

If my 2005 were destroyed I'd go with the 2015. To me, the older ones like my 2005 are now suspect since they are old! Since you said a 2015 isn't an option for you, can you swing a 2013?
You are so correct. My car was experiencing the facts of aging. I had thought a V8 would be fun, but your reason for avoiding them totally crossed my mind. I need an automatic which does eliminate "some" flogged ones. I only looking at cars that the currently owners allow me to take it to a trusted shop to look it over and tell me what needs to be done and or when potentially it should be done.

The car I saw yesterday was truly horrible. I know what my car feels like and this '06 was so different. My foot when to floor when trying the brakes. The transmission was jerky and would only allow me to move slowly when I would floor it and then it would stick at 4 RPM and slowly come back down. It felt wrong as soon as I turned the key.

I have another prospect I'm looking at this morning from a private seller. I have much more hope.

I really don't want to have to give up Mustang ownership and go to something mundane.

To have someone take my pride and joy because of their carelessness, still ticks me off. I didn't ask for this hassle.
Old 4/22/15, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What an exhausting day. I pretty much had an explosive outburst from stress and all from this whole ordeal. I went to check out another Mustang. It checked out way better than that heap yesterday. This one made it to the next stage of having our shop give us a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow. Here's hoping. It has meticulous records and really only needs some dings out of the door and some door panel pieces fixed. More updates tomorrow.

PS- the Ecoboost goes back to the rental place tomorrow.
Old 4/23/15, 06:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Go figure, my car wasn't totaled and it looked a lot worse
Attached Thumbnails Frustrations: Money Pit?-03-14-07_1248.jpg  
Old 4/23/15, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to warn people before you post things like that!
Old 4/23/15, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Go figure, my car wasn't totaled and it looked a lot worse
Yikes!
Old 4/24/15, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

LOL, sorry about the shocking picture. That was 07 and I've never had any problems since then due to the wreck, so I guess it all turned out alright
Old 4/24/15, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
LOL, sorry about the shocking picture. That was 07 and I've never had any problems since then due to the wreck, so I guess it all turned out alright
You are very fortunate.
Old 4/25/15, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to my next Mustang chapter. No name yet. But, she is mine!

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 4/25/15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 4/25/15, 09:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts

Gratz!
Old 4/25/15, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex

Gratz!
Thank you soooo much!!
Old 4/27/15, 01:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Welcome to my next Mustang chapter. No name yet. But, she is mine!

NICE!!!
You got a Pony package! Details? Share, man, share!

Congrats, I'm happy for you!

Old 4/27/15, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice
Old 4/27/15, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
NICE!!!
You got a Pony package! Details? Share, man, share!

Congrats, I'm happy for you!

Thank you MRKABC and Steve!

She is an '06 Pony Package with 73,300 miles. I got her registered today! I had to wait all weekend without driving her and a two hour wait at the DMV this morning. But, it has been great! No name, yet. But, I'm sure it'll come when it is meant to.

I will miss Whinnie, but I am very optimistic, this next chapter will be even better!

These are the only photos I could get today on a cloudy day with the sun going down.

More to come!
I'll probably start a new thread, too.

Name:  IMG_3226%201.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  169.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3225.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3228%201.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  199.9 KB

Quick Reply: Frustrations: Money Pit?