Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Frustrations: Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/15, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Just want to point out here that it DOES NOT MATTER what the other person or their insurance *wants* to put on the car.

You have picture proof of what was ON the car, and that is what SHOULD BE replaced, cost wise, end of discussion. But why would I stop there, I like to type...

They pay a check for whatever those parts cost, any labor, and also a supplement for any hidden 'well, didn't see that until teardown' items. And that's all. They do not get to tell you "well, it's a V6, so you get a V6 setup." That's not what you had, so forget that noise, they can't tell you that. You do not and *should not* sign off on it until you are happy, period.

Now... As to the pricing, if the GT or V6 is more expensive, fine, then you can use it for whatever other bumper you can get if you want. All you need from the insurance is the payment for what should be replaced... but if you and the shop can find a better looking, less expensive or same price bumper, then you have that right as well.

Ditto the exhaust, tail lamps, trunk, spoiler, etc... if a GT spoiler is $X, but a GT500 spoiler off ebay is $X-50%, and you want that, then get that, and pocket the difference, or use it towards those Raxiom 2013-14 tail lights you've been eyein' for so long...

DO NOT let the 'offending' insurance company try to push you around. YOU have been wronged. You deserve recompense, of a fair and equitable amount, from the insured. Get the car back where you had it, or modify within that budget, or even pay a little out of pocket for an improvement if you so desire, but do not let them talk you into substituting for LESS.

Further, this looks good enough that a neck injury is to be *considered*, and as such, even if the car is signed off on, you do not want to be signing off on an injury waiver/settlement for at least 6 months.

Watch out for YOU. Because they're dang well not gonna be. That's their business.

/soapbox.

//Good dang luck!

Last edited by houtex; 4/6/15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 4/7/15, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Just want to point out here that it DOES NOT MATTER what the other person or their insurance *wants* to put on the car.

You have picture proof of what was ON the car, and that is what SHOULD BE replaced, cost wise, end of discussion. But why would I stop there, I like to type...

They pay a check for whatever those parts cost, any labor, and also a supplement for any hidden 'well, didn't see that until teardown' items. And that's all. They do not get to tell you "well, it's a V6, so you get a V6 setup." That's not what you had, so forget that noise, they can't tell you that. You do not and *should not* sign off on it until you are happy, period.

Now... As to the pricing, if the GT or V6 is more expensive, fine, then you can use it for whatever other bumper you can get if you want. All you need from the insurance is the payment for what should be replaced... but if you and the shop can find a better looking, less expensive or same price bumper, then you have that right as well.

Ditto the exhaust, tail lamps, trunk, spoiler, etc... if a GT spoiler is $X, but a GT500 spoiler off ebay is $X-50%, and you want that, then get that, and pocket the difference, or use it towards those Raxiom 2013-14 tail lights you've been eyein' for so long...

DO NOT let the 'offending' insurance company try to push you around. YOU have been wronged. You deserve recompense, of a fair and equitable amount, from the insured. Get the car back where you had it, or modify within that budget, or even pay a little out of pocket for an improvement if you so desire, but do not let them talk you into substituting for LESS.

Further, this looks good enough that a neck injury is to be *considered*, and as such, even if the car is signed off on, you do not want to be signing off on an injury waiver/settlement for at least 6 months.

Watch out for YOU. Because they're dang well not gonna be. That's their business.

/soapbox.

//Good dang luck!
Thank you so much! You are so right!
Old 4/7/15, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Still no word from the guy's insurance company. Getting anxious.
Old 4/7/15, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you did not file an accident report or get the police to do one (don't see that you did in here), then you should do so tomorrow. Immediately. Go to the police station and fill it out. Get it on record.

Past that... you are sort of at the mercy of the other insurance company. Unless...

You can discuss filing with your insurance company. This does mean you'll pay the deductible, but when they work it out with the other insurance (and you can bet THEY will) you should wind up with that deductible back in your hands.

Also, you do have the other party's insurance information, right? Call them *directly* and make a claim, or bug them about it every day. Don't be mean, just be determined but nice about it.

/Easy to kibitz from the bleachers, though, right?
Old 4/8/15, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you did not file an accident report or get the police to do one (don't see that you did in here), then you should do so tomorrow. Immediately. Go to the police station and fill it out. Get it on record.

Past that... you are sort of at the mercy of the other insurance company. Unless...

You can discuss filing with your insurance company. This does mean you'll pay the deductible, but when they work it out with the other insurance (and you can bet THEY will) you should wind up with that deductible back in your hands.

Also, you do have the other party's insurance information, right? Call them *directly* and make a claim, or bug them about it every day. Don't be mean, just be determined but nice about it.

/Easy to kibitz from the bleachers, though, right?
Oh yeah, sorry I should have mentioned, I did fill out an accident report hours after it happened. You are right, I could do the thing with my insurance company and then get my deductible back. I'm going to look in to it today. Good advice man, thank you.

More updates to come.
Old 4/8/15, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Wow, sorry about your Mustang. Glad you are ok. That must have been a hard jolt.
Old 4/8/15, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
Wow, sorry about your Mustang. Glad you are ok. That must have been a hard jolt.
Thanks, it was!

I saw my doctor yesterday for my back, neck, shoulder, pelvis, and arm pain. I got prescription for Physical Therapy. I called the guy again and left a message today. Hope he responds.
Old 4/8/15, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Thanks, it was!

I saw my doctor yesterday for my back, neck, shoulder, pelvis, and arm pain. I got prescription for Physical Therapy. I called the guy again and left a message today. Hope he responds.
I hope, for your health and sanity, that there are no serious injuries. Internal stuff can sneak up on you a long ways down the road. But if there is something, get it taken care of ASAP.
Old 4/8/15, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
I hope, for your health and sanity, that there are no serious injuries. Internal stuff can sneak up on you a long ways down the road. But if there is something, get it taken care of ASAP.
Thank you so much Justin. I am monitoring everything I have felt this week since the accident. I have been getting dizzy spills every afternoon (something that I am a bit concerned about). I did here from the guy who hit me tonight and he says he will call me tomorrow after he hears from his insurance guy. Here's hoping.
Old 4/9/15, 12:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ooh, dizzy spells.

You take care of you first, ok? The Mustang, all that crud, can wait.
Old 4/9/15, 04:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Thank you so much Justin. I am monitoring everything I have felt this week since the accident. I have been getting dizzy spills every afternoon (something that I am a bit concerned about). I did here from the guy who hit me tonight and he says he will call me tomorrow after he hears from his insurance guy. Here's hoping.
you should have contacted his ins company also
Old 4/9/15, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
you should have contacted his ins company also
I just did. Got the case open. I am getting the car inspected tomorrow by one of their people.
Old 4/9/15, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Keep your doctor informed, especially about those dizzy spells you have had. Sometimes things take a while to show up after a knock like that. Hope you start to feel better soon. Like others have said your health is the most important thing, the Mustang can wait.
Old 4/10/15, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
Keep your doctor informed, especially about those dizzy spells you have had. Sometimes things take a while to show up after a knock like that. Hope you start to feel better soon. Like others have said your health is the most important thing, the Mustang can wait.
Thank you! The dizzy spells didn't occur last night thankfully. I had my visit to the physical therapist for evaluation, exercises, and dry needling. It was so nice. I got some relief.

Today, I am getting the car inspected by the guy's insurance company.
Old 4/10/15, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got the inspection done. The estimate was $8,211. This was without taking the car apart and looking at what was damaged internally.
Old 4/10/15, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oohh... that's... interesting. Depending on the mileage...

Without any mileage adjustment, or taking in any mods that might run the value up, the car's clean retail blue book (in the Houston area) is around $10,000-ish. Less 20%, that's an $8,000-ish totaling value threshold... so that estimate is really... close.

Dang. That's just scary for me to think about regarding my car...

Positive thoughts to ya, man... positive thoughts... Ooohhhhmmm....

Last edited by houtex; 4/10/15 at 09:02 PM.
Old 4/10/15, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oohh... that's... interesting. Depending on the mileage...

Without any mileage adjustment, or taking in any mods that might run the value up, the car's clean retail blue book (in the Houston area) is around $10,000-ish. Less 20%, that's an $8,000-ish totaling value threshold... so that estimate is really... close.

Dang. That's just scary for me to think about regarding my car...

Positive thoughts to ya, man... positive thoughts... Ooohhhhmmm....
Thanks man! Yeah, my car has 78,880 miles on it and its an '07. I took a look online and yeah the value is anywhere from $9,100-$10,000.
Old 4/14/15, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Things have come to an end. The insurance company deemed Whinnie Totaled. I'm sad.
Old 4/14/15, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was so hoping to not be right.

What's your plan? '15? Buy her and fix her? Get another?
Old 4/14/15, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was so hoping to not be right.

What's your plan? '15? Buy her and fix her? Get another?
I will look for another Mustang. Financing is not an option. I hope to maybe get in to a 05-09 GT though. I just can't believe my pride and joy is done. The insurance guy said that if I bought it back I would lose money on it. The frame is pretty mangled, too.

Quick Reply: Frustrations: Money Pit?