Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fog Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/08, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Fog Light Problem

Ok, I apologize, I know this subject has been covered, and I've read it somewhere, but the last 30 min of searching has produced exactly zip.

My brand new, 1 month old car just got pulled over for the light not working on my license plate, and more importantly, i just noticed that one of the little pieces in my fog lights is off and sitting in the bottom of the light and the other is drooping and about to fall off.

While I'm not in any way saying I don't love my Mustang to death, I'm highly unimpressed. What can I do about this? Other than pull the grill forward and try to fish them out, is there a way to more securely mount them?

I looked at the TSB's and didn't see this listed, but I remember lots of people mentioning it happening. If there's a thread that covers this, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 2/4/08, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure I understand what parts of the fog light you are talking about. But to get to the fogs, I do remember that you have to remove the front bumper cover.
Old 2/4/08, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

The little black cylindrical light diffusers in the center of the fog lights on the grill of a GT. Not sure if they're plastic or metal.
Old 2/4/08, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thats gonna suck to replace or repair. You will probably need to take out the entire assembly.
Old 2/6/08, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with if anyone has some advice. And sorry that I didn't wash them in advance of taking the pictures.

The Right light diffuser is drooping:

The Left is off entirely:

And as a bonus, I think they're hazing too...
Old 2/6/08, 11:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks like a dealer job to me!! Also make sure and tell them about the license plate light being out, and make sure they replace that too. Usually light bulbs are not covered on warranty, but a 1 month old car?? Yeah, that should be warranty for sure.
Old 2/7/08, 09:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
They can replace them under warranty.
Mine hazed, most do.
That's why I put in Hella driving lights instead.
Bright and shiney.
I don't drive in fog, but I do drive on dark backroads.
Old 2/7/08, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I looked at Hella 500's after seeing you talking about them on a hazing thread. How hard is the install? I'd like to just wire them the same as the factory ones, is that possible instead of having to flip the high and low beams like you did?

Basically, I want them as fog lights with really yellow bulbs (I don't drive with them on all the time). I'm undecided because I've thought of doing the GT500 front conversion, but I promise I won't have money for that for at least a couple of years. So the price of the Hellas for a couple of years of good function isn't outrageous. Also, I'm concerned that the ford ones will just do the same thing again.

Are there any warranty considerations about the bulbs you put in the fogs in relation to voiding warranty? I've been using Luminics JDM Hyper Yellow bulbs as my fogs. As evidenced by the yellow tip on the bulb and the yellow debris in the bottom of the light that's been knocked off by the diffusers.
Old 2/7/08, 11:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

I wonder if the yellow bulbs possibly burn hotter than the stock ones, making the diffuser melt or something?? If that is the case, you might have some trouble at the dealership with a warranty claim. I don't know, depends on how friendly your dealer is I guess.
Old 2/7/08, 12:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackitraz
I looked at Hella 500's after seeing you talking about them on a hazing thread. How hard is the install? I'd like to just wire them the same as the factory ones, is that possible instead of having to flip the high and low beams like you did?

Basically, I want them as fog lights with really yellow bulbs (I don't drive with them on all the time). I'm undecided because I've thought of doing the GT500 front conversion, but I promise I won't have money for that for at least a couple of years. So the price of the Hellas for a couple of years of good function isn't outrageous. Also, I'm concerned that the ford ones will just do the same thing again.

Are there any warranty considerations about the bulbs you put in the fogs in relation to voiding warranty? I've been using Luminics JDM Hyper Yellow bulbs as my fogs. As evidenced by the yellow tip on the bulb and the yellow debris in the bottom of the light that's been knocked off by the diffusers.
You can get the Hella 500s in a yellow fog setup and leave the wiring as it is.
You have to replace the whole foglight assembly.
You have to drop the whole front to do it.
The 500s are installed upside-down, trimmed to fit and shimmed with thick rubber.
I used the mounting screws in the foglight frame to aim the beams.
Of course you can't see any of that, it looks factory when finished because of the radiator cover.
Attachment 39030
For me it seemed fairly easy, it just took a little care and time.
There is a kit out there which does the same thing for under $200 without the custom fabrication.
http://www.autobarn.net/piafordmustangkit.html
They are not yellow.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Problem-bluedrvlight2.jpg  
Old 2/8/08, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackitraz
Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with if anyone has some advice. And sorry that I didn't wash them in advance of taking the pictures.

The Right light diffuser is drooping:

The Left is off entirely:

And as a bonus, I think they're hazing too...
I accidently did the same thing when I changed the bulb in one of my fog lights.
To fix it, I fashoned a hook out of a piece of wire, and fished inside the fog light lens until I was able to grab the insert, then I pulled it back into place.

Note, that you have to hook onto the insert from inside it. Thats because you have to hook though the bulb hole. If you don't the wire will be in the way.