Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine dying for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/08 | 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

I have NO idea. I always fill up at the same Chevron and I have never had any problems before. I don't actually have proof that it was the gas. But, it started the day after I filled up and it quit the day I refilled the tank after running all that gas out. I didn't even think about it until I remembered that it had been three days since the last problem AND it had been three days since I refilled it.

About four or five days after my problems stopped, there was a big story here in Albuquerque where a refinery screwed up and shipped mixed diesel/gasoline to 42 some odd gas stations here. That was a mess. But my issues started several days before the first shipment of contaminated gas.

But maybe!
Old 4/1/08 | 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

If he had filled it with Diesel the car would not run at all.
Old 4/1/08 | 08:56 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me. Only thing is it happens very intermittenly, I've had it happen several times, most of the time when coming to a stop while pressing the clutch. It happens once like every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I've taken it to the dealership on many occasions. They drove it and of course nothing happened. Even hooked up a recorder to the computer for me to press to record when something went wrong. Eventually they replaced the fuel pump and I thought that did the trick, though about 10k later it happens again. Warranty is long gone, but it hasn't happened in a while.
Old 4/1/08 | 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

The crap they send wasn't pure diesel. It was mostly gasoline with something like 10 to 20 percent diesel in the mix. Definitely a mess.
Old 4/1/08 | 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Thanks for the insight gents. Right now, I'm on the TPS or crank trigger fence. I replaced the fuel filter about two months ago (with a Motorcraft filter), so I don't think that is the problem.

I guess it is time to open up the service manual and do a little bit of digging!
I would check for a vacuum leak. I had similar issues and it was due to a poor seal around the MAF. If you still suspect the TPS, I have one for sale if you want to save a few bucks: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=466252

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 4/1/08 at 09:59 PM.
Old 4/2/08 | 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
I would check for a vacuum leak. I had similar issues and it was due to a poor seal around the MAF. If you still suspect the TPS, I have one for sale if you want to save a few bucks: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=466252

Tim
Interesting. I might just have to look into that. It died on me twice today. Both times, the engine was at idle. Both times, it died like I had turned the key off, just instantly dead.

Of course, I ALSO filled it up last night too! At the same station...
Old 4/3/08 | 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe yer 'Stang is possessed?

Or, maybe it just doesn't like you.
Old 4/3/08 | 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting. I might just have to look into that. It died on me twice today. Both times, the engine was at idle. Both times, it died like I had turned the key off, just instantly dead.

Of course, I ALSO filled it up last night too! At the same station...
It might be good if you suspect a problem with the fuel , that you try a totally DIFFERENT station ! It is possible that under-ground water is finding its way into their fuel tanks- especially if the station is old and the tanks might need replacement .
Old 4/3/08 | 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by red pony
It might be good if you suspect a problem with the fuel , that you try a totally DIFFERENT station ! It is possible that under-ground water is finding its way into their fuel tanks- especially if the station is old and the tanks might need replacement .

That is pretty much the conclusion I came to also. I wouldn't think they would have issues with their tanks, as it is a fairly recent station (less than 10 years old) and we live in a very dry area, so there isn't a whole lot of moisture trying to get in anyway.

But I do think a different station is definitely in the works for the next month or so...
Old 4/4/08 | 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is pretty much the conclusion I came to also. I wouldn't think they would have issues with their tanks, as it is a fairly recent station (less than 10 years old) and we live in a very dry area, so there isn't a whole lot of moisture trying to get in anyway.

But I do think a different station is definitely in the works for the next month or so...
By the way , what octane do you use ? I use 89 octane in mine and get great mileage and performance from it . They say in the owner's manual , to use " at least 87 octane " . No e/85 formulations allowed . Also , to avoid damaging detonation while under hard acceleration , 89 octane gives you added protection against detonation damage to the piston ring lands causing it to consume oil and other un-wanted permanant damage .
Old 4/7/08 | 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

I always fill up with Premium (usually 91, but some times 90. I'm at high altitude, so...). When regular was 80 cents a gallon and premium was $1.20, it made sense trying to use lower grades. Now that regular is $3.20 and premium is $3.40, I don't waste my time. Go for the gold!

On the bright side, no issues with the last two tanks. I went out of town this weekend, so I burned a lot of fuel fairly quickly.
Old 4/8/08 | 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a theory .....

I always fill up with Premium (usually 91, but some times 90. I'm at high altitude, so...). When regular was 80 cents a gallon and premium was $1.20, it made sense trying to use lower grades. Now that regular is $3.20 and premium is $3.40, I don't waste my time. Go for the gold!

On the bright side, no issues with the last two tanks. I went out of town this weekend, so I burned a lot of fuel fairly quickly.
You know, that thought is very true. The price difference doesn't justify using the cheaper grades . Yet, when gas is $ 3.29 a gallon, you still see people going to the station advertising it for $ 3.27 ! ! People grab for every penny they can save . This is where my theory comes in . People buy the next grade higher because they HAVE to . But 2 grades up ? Oh , HECK no ! So, now that gas sits there and either goes stale , and/or , the holding tank takes on water . Then you buy it . Few people think the way you do, and IMHO your way is actually right . If more people thought our way , we wouldn't have stale premium fuel around . I went to several stations in my area , and asked them which fuel they re-fill the least , and consistantly the answer was premium . But you know the one that gets filled almost as much as 87 ? Good old 89 !
Also , call me crazy if you want to , but I refuse to buy gas at a pump where you press a group of buttons to select a grade of gas and it all comes out of 1 hose ! That disturbs me . What if the guy before you got a different grade than you ? What's in that hose could be bad gas ! Now it's your turn. And if you think the little bit in the hose isn't going to do anything, think again . All it has to be is a gulp of water with a little rust or dirt in it ! Why do you think that gas filter is as big as it is ? I remember the day Ford put a thimble-sized gas filter right at the carb . WHAT A JOKE !! That thing plugged up if you looked at it wrong ! Found On Road Dead ! THAT'S WHY !
Old 4/25/08 | 12:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75

Tim
Tim, I think you got it! The problem came and went several more times. Eventually, fuel was proven as not the cause.

I was very much in the "why in the heck doesn't this just DIE!!!!" mode when I needed to take a road trip to Lubbock (about 5 1/2 hour drive). Things got a bit exciting for a while there. It died a total of 6 times during the trip and the last three times where within about 2 miles of each other (highway at 75 mph no less...). I was FAIRLY sure that things were finally coming to a head and was actually hoping that the silly thing would just not start so I could finally track down the root cause. Of course, being 100 miles from my destination would have sucked, but still...

Anyway, in Lubbock, the car managed to die two to three times per day for about five days. I eventually had time (had/made/took. It's all the same... Right?) to pop the hood and dig into it.

My plan was fairly simple, unplug all the connections that could possibly be causing the problem, check the connectors and wiring and reseat everything, including the three ECU locking connectors. While I was in there, I also took the JLT2 intake off and give it a look over.

And interestingly enough, I found the PVC fitting on the bottom of the intake was about 1/4 turn loose... I was able to tighten it up by hand enough to seal things up. I didn't put a wrench on it because it would have had the fitting pointing to the front of the car instead of down the tube like it needs to.

After buttoning everything up, the car ran for another five days and only died once more on it.

Well, last week, after I got back, I pulled the tube off again and cleaned things up and used some RTV on the threads of the PVC fitting to seal it up and still allow me to point in the right direction. While doing that, I also found the hose clamp on the rubber elbow (that attaches the intake tube to the elbow) was also loose. Sigh.

Needless to say, it hasn't acted up once in the last week. It's going to take a while before I am 100% confident that the car is fixed. But things are looking MUCH better.

On the bright side, while working on this, I DID get rid of all the rattles in my car! I have been having two issues with rattles: 1) Any change I would drop into the cup holder would buzz like crazy at certain engine speeds/loads. I pulled the center lid out and dynomated the underside of it (especially around each cup holder). That fixed that good!

And 2) while digging around in the TSB lists for the S197 (trying to find anything related to my dying issue), I came across one that was about a rattle coming from the doors that sounds like a bad speaker, especially with more bass...

Score! I had been fighting that one on several different occasions (and failing each and every time!). The root cause was the stinking window switches! They snap into little panel that snaps into/onto the door. After taking the window switch panel out, I could tap the bottom of the switch and get it to rattle! A couple of pieces of camper shell foam tape between the switch and the panel had everything snugged up and vibration free. I can actually listen to the morning guy on the radio again! His voice used to set the buzzing off to no end!

So, at this time, I have silence where I need it (door panels and center console) and noise where I need it (ENGINE!). Now it just needs to stay that way!

Thanks for the ideas guys! Especially you Tim. I NEVER would have though a small vacuum leak could possibly cause the engine to just die.