Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Car seems to be choking on fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/08, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car seems to be choking on fuel?

I've been having a problem with my car ever sincer i installed my obx long tube headers and racer cai. I go to start the car it runs fine for almost two minutes then it will run rough and a strong gas smell is noticable but then clears up after about a minute and runs fine. It happens everytime the vehicle sits for awhile and then i go to start it up then it happens and then it clears up.

what could make the car choke on gas? I know that the O2 sensors are further back, but i got new sensors in there and tuning from brenspeed for all my mods. My performance mods are OBX LT headers, C&L racer cai, udp,delete plates,4.10 gears, 93oct racer tune from brenspeed.

i dont think it would be a tuning issue cause i've recieved numerous tunes from brenspeed although people have mentioned to me about altitude affecting the vehicle? Maybe tuning for my altitude i live in(NJ)?.

How about fuel injectors leaking into the cylinders? Fuel pump? what makes a car choke on fuel?
The car is trying to pull fuel away but it cant and it only trips a sensor stuck rich code but theres nothing wrong with my sensors, its a false code. theres something thats causing the sensor get stuck rich.

Please help me
Old 11/17/08, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It might be going closed loop on cold O2 sensors that are not sending out the right signal until they can warm up more. I would THINK that you would get some kind of code eventually if that was case (slow O2 response would be my guess), but who knows.
Old 11/24/08, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the slow response code once, most likely due to the LT headers with sensor positioning.

what about something with the fuel system? leaking injectors? pump problem?

i do notice a new sympton so to say which is inaccurate fuel gauge, i dont think its my cluster cause this started happening with my rough running problem.