Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake Fluid Leak Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/07, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Elizabeth, didn't mean to steal your thread
Old 10/23/07, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtang78

Well that's pretty depressing. Definitely makes me think twice about getting an ESP.

I hope you get this resolved - it's B.S. This is a KNOWN defect with the 05+ mustangs and so it HAD to have started before 36,000 miles. Who cares about 36,000 miles anyway - the Premium ESP is supposed to cover everything but cosmetic stuff - this is not cosmetic, and it's not rocket science either. It's soon to be structural damage caused by a factory defect.

I hope what you find out is that the dealer you went to are just a**holes and the selling dealer honors the warranty you PAID for. If not I'd raise **** with ford until you get this fixed under warranty.

This really tickes me off. It's one of those instances that makes me ill to think I was ever stupid enough to give ford one penny of my money. Grrr."

The above was not a quote by me but rather by MustangLynda. Just thought I should clarify. Don't know how this quote got my name added on to it.

Can anyone tell me how to upload the pics so that when you click on them they enlarge?
Old 10/31/07, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

On Monday I took the car in to the selling dealer (or at least the dealer who just purchased the original dealership). Just heard today that the problem is the reservoir. They ordered a new one, will get it installed (as well as a new cap), and check for further issues. Then off to paint it goes! Woo Hoo -- FINALLY someone is correcting the problem (at least I hope). Hopefully when I get the car back, their won't be any further issues with it as I have over 72,000 miles on her. Not much wiggle room left on my warranty.

Here is the link to the pics of the damage: http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/mtang78

Happy Halloween Everyone!!
Old 10/31/07, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man that's great

BTW what did they say was wrong with the reservior?
Old 11/1/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Congrats man that's great

BTW what did they say was wrong with the reservior?
I just spoke to the dealership. Apparently, there is a seam that goes around the reservoir. That is what was leaking. It was leaking onto the tube, then following the tube and distributed over a large area.

The reservoir is ordered, including a new cap and they will replace that, then check for any other leaks or problems before they re-paint.
Old 11/4/07, 01:15 AM
whs
GT Member

Apparently, there is a seam that goes around the reservoir. That is what was leaking.
This is the same thing they said about mine, but it doesn't explain the fluid collecting on the top of the resevoir around the lid.
Old 11/7/07, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, just got an update....

Reservoir is installed, they're keeping an eye on the car before they send it to paint. So far, so good. As for the fluid collecting on the top of the reservoir around the lid, 2 things causing it.

1. When the fluid leaks out of the seam and travels down the tube, the airflow that occurs as you are driving, is distributing the fluid; and

2. The gasket on the cap doesn't seal properly.

Solution is to install a new reservoir and cap.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress, but it looks like I won't get the car back until sometime next week, which is ok with me as long as I have a loaner (they gave me a Fusion - man do I miss my V-8!!!), and they fix the problem.

While it is in the shop they are also going to have to remove the airbag, because the "rolling marbles" sound in my steering wheel is, in fact, inside the steering wheel! It would be great if they would end up replacing my pitted pony - again. But then again, at this point in time, my pitted, spotted mustang on my horn button eventually had all the spots and pits merge together so now it is more white than silver but isn't as noticeable of being pitted. I actually had an Apaloosa there for awhile! We'll see what comes out of this. I have been complaining of this noise for a long time, thought they had it fixed, but it is still there. The garage that is fixing it this time is my selling dealer (although they sold out to another area Ford dealer, so it is being repaired by the "new" selling dealer), and not the one close to where I now live that originally attempted to repair the issue.
Old 11/16/07, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh where, oh where is '05 Mustang at? Oh where, oh where can it be???

Well it will be 3 weeks this coming Monday, November 19 since I dropped off my car to have the brake fluid leak repaired, the engine bay area corrected from the damage done by the brake fluid leak, and the rattle in my steering wheel fixed. I haven't heard from anyone for over 1 week now. I should probably start worrying now, right??
Old 11/16/07, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you take it to a Ford dealership? 3 wks seems excessive. My repair only took 3 business days... and they gave me a loaner while work was done. Perhaps they had to order some parts, but can't imagine it taking more than a few days for that.
Old 11/17/07, 02:27 AM
whs
GT Member

Oh where, oh where is '05 Mustang at? Oh where, oh where can it be???

Well it will be 3 weeks this coming Monday... I haven't heard from anyone for over 1 week now. I should probably start worrying now, right??
3 weeks, yes and I would be extremely upset. Might even be tempted to ask the owner in a voice that everyone on the showroom floor can hear, "why isn't my car fixed." Sounds to me like they might be working on your ride in between repairs on other vehicles.

It isn't hard to change out a master cylinder, paint and things might take awhile longer.
Old 11/26/07, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I finally got my '05 back this past Friday!!

While the car was in there, I also had them check out the rattle in my steering wheel which sounded like a marble rolling around. Turns out the cruise control was loose. That's why sometimes you would hear it and then you might go for a while and not hear it at all. They had to replace the cruise control buttons. Trevas saved the part until I picked up the car so I could hear it - sounded like a baby rattle. Thank God!! I'm sooo glad someone finally fixed that **** noise!

As most of you know, I lived in Central Illinois in 2004 when we ordered and purchased my '05 from Mooney's in Charleston, Illinois. We moved down by St. Louis late 2005. Tri-Ford in Highland wouldn't work on the brake fluid reservoir issue as they said it wouldn't be covered under my Premium Care ESP.

So I drove 2 hours back to Charleston to get my car fixed under warranty. Here is where it gets a little hairy.

Mooney's sold their Ford dealership in Charleston to Pilson's who also has a Ford dealership in Matton (about 15 minutes West of Charleston.) Unfortunately, it was right smack dab in the middle of the transition when my '05 went it to get fixed.

They gave me a loaner (Ford Fusion 4 banger.) Not a bad car, great on gas mileage, actually pretty comfortable, but I personally won't drive anything but an 8 cylinder Mustang or a nice Ford truck. Anyway, they really took care of me and my Mustang.

From the time the car was dropped off to them, until I picked it up last Friday, they have kept that car inside the entire time. Neither Mooney's nor Pilson's had an auto body shop, so it had to go to Porter's Autobody in Charleston for the repainting of the engine bay. My car was not even delivered over to Porter's until Porter's had an empty bay for my car to remain inside. Then, Pilson's sent over one of their best Ford mechanics to Porter's to remove, then eventually re-install the parts that were removed from the engine bay for the repaint.

Pilson's and Porter's did an awesome job with my car, and even though it took over 3 weeks, the only thing I would like to have seen different is that someone should have given me a weekly update as to the status of my car. When the car had already been there for 2 weeks (and I had updates), and then another week went by without a word, I was getting a little concerned.

But Trevas and Ralph took very good care of me and my baby. I couldn't be more pleased.

The reason it took so long is (a) my car was kept inside the entire time; (b) they had to diagnose the brake fluid issue; (c) they had to diagnose the steering wheel rattle issue; (d) they had to order the brake fluid reservoir; (e) they had to order the cruise control button; (f) they had to make sure they got all of the issues resolved;

And no, they didn't drive the car all over either. I document the miles when I drop off my cars for service, and again when I pick them up. The car was only driven 4.2 miles.

We've checked the car for brake fluid reservoir issues since we drove it over the weekend, and so far, so good.

If you are in need of a new or used car, and want thorough, reliable, dependable service, I definitely would recommend Pilson's! They were truly awesome!

Now I just have to re-acclimate myself on how to drive my baby again. There is a huge difference between driving the 4 banger and accelerating, and accelerating my baby with an 8 cylinder. I haven't driven her since July. My son was doing her annual detailing (that's when we discovered the brake fluid issue I've been driving my Mustang II that has an 8 cylinder, but obviously doesn't have 300 hp, and the timing is different on it. And now, Winter is upon us. I really need to learn to drive her on dry payment again before driving her on slick roads.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know it all resolved to my satisfaction! If you want to see pics of the damage, go here: http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/mtang78
Old 11/29/07, 07:15 PM

FYI - this issue still exists with the 08's. Just took mine in last night (14 days after purchase) for having a nice coating of brake fluid on the reservoir - from the cap threads to and on the middle seam. They checked the gasket (was fine), the cap (was fine), and the fluid level (was fine) and the no one saw any leak in the reservoir. The official solution? Wipe it with a shop rag.

I think it might have annoyed the service advisor that I insisted that a service ticket be written up for the issue. I explained that brake fluid is highly corrosive and could easily cause damage to paint, metals, and so on. Being that they didn't find a problem at that time, I wanted it documented that a problem of brake fluid mysteriously appearing outside the reservoir was reported and witnessed, but no one diagnosed the cause... (so any damage caused in the future will be covered regardless of warrantee time limits, exceptions, etc.)

I'll check again tomorrow (and every few days) and if there's more fluid, I'll bring it back. Rinse and Repeat as needed...
Old 11/29/07, 10:40 PM
whs
GT Member

Originally Posted by GaryD9
I think it might have annoyed the service advisor that I insisted that a service ticket be written up for the issue.
They're only doing themselves a disservice by not reporting it. I didn't get any paperwork the second time around and nothing in the mail from Ford asking me to rate their service. I was also very irritated that the service monkey refused to look up the TSB for the hesitation after cruise issue when I politely asked him too. His response was "if we can't get it to act up, we aren't going to do anything about it." If he would have done so he would have seen that it asks them to fix it, if I complain about it to him like I did.

I'm going to have some words with them tomorrow about that and the hood popping open at highway speeds. This is America, the only country that can send men to the moon, just don't ask us to make a quality automobile.
Old 11/30/07, 08:45 AM

I actually have another motive for ensuring that EVERY visit is documented: Maryland lemon laws tend to favor the dealerships, but if the same problem occurs FOUR times without successful repair, and it harms the working or value of the car, then it does kick in. Brake fluid damage can obviously harm the value of the car (and even the functionality if it gets bad enough), and if I already have four instances of the problem recorded and corrosion happens, I can basically force Ford to either repair all the damage or give me a new car...and I wouldn't have to argue about it at all.

Don't get the wrong idea here - I'm not looking for this to happen. However, I've bought enough new cars over the years to know that dealships and car makers will always try to take the cheapest way out. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. (..and I really don't want to exchange my car. I'm really enjoying my V6 pony.)
Old 11/30/07, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I must be lucky. Ever since I lowered the fluid level to a point between the two arrows months ago No Leaks! It is always totally dry.
Old 12/15/07, 10:13 PM

They checked the gasket (was fine), the cap (was fine), and the fluid level (was fine) and the no one saw any leak in the reservoir. The official solution? Wipe it with a shop rag.
I'll check again tomorrow (and every few days) and if there's more fluid, I'll bring it back. Rinse and Repeat as needed...
Well, the "wipe it with a shop rag" solution obviously doesn't work for more than a few days. Brake fluid is back. Swung by the dealership Friday, and this time, rather than just wipe it off and write up a ticket, they decided they want to actually look at it... so will be dropping off the v6 Monday morning. I wonder what they'll do this time...

I'm in a much better position in this than many of the previous posters. My car is only a month off the lot, with only 775 miles on it. I'm also extremely **** retentive about my car... I won't put teflon tape on my cap, as I don't want Ford to claim that I "modified" the car and therefore caused the failure. I will check every week, and each time there is any brake fluid, my dealership will hear about it. I will bring it in. I will have every visit documented - even if they refuse to look at the problem.

As the car is so new, continued failure of the same part will result in the car being classified by MD as a lemon... and I haven't yet begun to modify the car, so replacing it with a comparable Mustang isn't any problem to me (as long as they don't try to give me a car with that extremely banana colored interior.) Replacing a new car has got to be more expensive than some paint repairs... perhaps expensive enough for them to take the problem seriously?
Old 12/16/07, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Gary, while I applaud your will, unless you REALLY want to go through all the trouble, just siphon out some fluid.

If you remove it to just above half-way on the reservoir you should be fine.

Mine leaked from day 1, after several "fixes," including an o-ring that made my cap not fit correctly, I finally removed fluid.

I've had my car for two years now and check the fluid every weekend... no leaks since.

Good luck.
Old 12/16/07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Imatk
Gary, while I applaud your will, unless you REALLY want to go through all the trouble, just siphon out some fluid.
It's not that much trouble for me... much more trouble for the dealership, and maybe... just maybe... Ford might decide to actually deal with the problem. Being that I intend to keep this car for over 10 years, I don't want it to start with problems. How many S197 Mustangs have firewalls that are already starting to rust out as a direct result of this problem... and are long out of warranty?

I wonder how corrosive brake fluid can be. I know a previous ford vehicle had a recall due to something to do with brake fluid and fires. I see the reservior is over the steering column... Could this issue, if left unattended for a couple years, result in a steering failure? What about a braking failure? If so, perhaps my "persistance" in this issue will save lives.

I suspect that the "solution" to the problem might be as simple as Ford making a slightly larger reservior, and then moving the min/max lines down a bit... which should give the fluid more room for expansion without leakage.
Old 12/16/07, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Just checked mine..bone dry on the outside...Hope it stays that way...
Old 12/17/07, 09:00 AM

I wonder how corrosive brake fluid can be.
Did a bit of research on this - Apparently brake fluid actually has anti-corrosive properties to rubber and metal. It's just paint that it really doesn't like. In the case of paint, however, it'll bubble it up VERY quickly. So, there aren't any obvious safety issues with brake fluid dripping on to other parts of the car.

On the other hand, I was chatting with my father-in-law (who was a master mechanic before everything became computerized) and got his impressions of this issue: If the brake system isn't sealed, moisture will get into the fluid much faster than normal (which is < 1% a year for a properly sealed system.) That will lower the boiling point of the fluid dramatically, then the water boils off leaving air in the brake lines, which in turn results in brake failures. There's also a problem in that if the reservior can't hold enough fluid, then when the brake pads wear down (but before they need to be replaced) the brakes won't work properly. (Something about the brake fluid in reserve compensating for the worn down pads.)

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak Damage?