Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake Fluid Leak Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/07, 12:27 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
I totally agree with you 100% As Ford should definitely have a recall, on not only the reservoir cap ? but also the reservoir itself, as I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that Ford also changed the groove patterns on the reservoir, as well..I'm also very pleased to hear, that you haven't had any further leaking problems, since filling your reservoir at the proper fluid level according to the owners manual..
Old 8/4/07, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeah man, it is amazing that Ford is overfilling the fluid and causing all these headaches. Well at least it is a simple fix.
Old 10/4/07, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok I need some help and advice. I have 71,000 miles on my car and during our annual "clean and detail" we discovered damage in the engine compartment from the brake fluid leak. We had checked the car when we first heard about the problem and everything seemed ok - no leak, but within the past year the problem developed and went unoticed.

We have moved and the selling dealer lives over 2 hours away and does not have a body shop.

What should I do? I asked the local Ford dealership and they said it won't be covered under my ESP plan because the damage would have had to occur and been corrected within the first 36,000 miles. And I purchased a 75,000 mile ESP plan why??

If I return the car to the selling dealer, even if they were to agree to correct the damaged paint, they would have to send it over to someone else to paint it - after (it sounds like from what I've been reading), they pull out a lot of stuff from the engine compartment.

Anyone have suggestions? Either way I have to get this fixed before I get rust started on the frame of the car!
Old 10/4/07, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry this happened to you

If the selling dealer is willing to fix it for you I would go that route. It's going to be expensive for you to pay for it yourself because yes they have to remove some things just to get at the area.

Those extended warranty things are really crap from Ford. Unless your motor blows (and make sure it's completely stock) you're pretty much wasting the cash in my experience because even with the NORMAL warranty it's a complete PITA to get a dealership to do warranty work on the car.
Old 10/6/07, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do? I asked the local Ford dealership and they said it won't be covered under my ESP plan because the damage would have had to occur and been corrected within the first 36,000 miles. And I purchased a 75,000 mile ESP plan why??
Curious which ESP you have?
Old 10/9/07, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'm taking the car in next week to the selling dealership (2 hours away) to check this out. They will have to see what they can do. They haven't heard of this issue - but the dealer is in Central Illinois. The problem that worries me along with the brake reservoir paint damage is that I found out when I called today that the dealership sold and will be under a different dealership - but still Ford - come October 22. I wonder what that will do to my "selling dealership" correcting any remaining problems before my 75,000 mile ESP warranty is expired?

As for the ESP, I have the Premium Care ESP plan.

Anyone know of a good, reputable dealer in the St. Louis, Missouri area?? One that will do warranty work since I have moved 2 hours away and the selling dealership is being sold?
Old 10/9/07, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=Mtang78;1020847]

As for the ESP, I have the Premium Care ESP plan.
Well that's pretty depressing. Definitely makes me think twice about getting an ESP.

I hope you get this resolved - it's B.S. This is a KNOWN defect with the 05+ mustangs and so it HAD to have started before 36,000 miles. Who cares about 36,000 miles anyway - the Premium ESP is supposed to cover everything but cosmetic stuff - this is not cosmetic, and it's not rocket science either. It's soon to be structural damage caused by a factory defect.

I hope what you find out is that the dealer you went to are just a**holes and the selling dealer honors the warranty you PAID for. If not I'd raise **** with ford until you get this fixed under warranty.

This really tickes me off. It's one of those instances that makes me ill to think I was ever stupid enough to give ford one penny of my money. Grrr.
Old 10/9/07, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I tried many remedies. The only thing that works the best is to take out some fluid. I have it now in the middle of the two arrows. I may take a little more out since I still have some fluid leaking. Mostly stained now on the top by the cap. Very minor, I can live with it. The new cap did not work. And the washer did not work. Only taking out the fluid. Ford knows all about this issue I guarantee. Every 2005 + has this problem...
Old 10/10/07, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am at a loss to understand why the dealer you originally took it too refused to honor the ESP. I am sitting here reading the one I purchased and it seems pretty clear:

" Ford ESP is honored at more than 4,600 authorized Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers across the U.S. and Canada."

Paragraph 8A, page 18, of the ESP states: " We recommend that you return to the Selling Dealer to obtain repairs or service to your vehicle. However, you may obtain repairs or service to the vehicle under this agreement from any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury franchised dealership in the United States or Canada."

Time to call the Ford Customer Service folks and find out why this dealer is refusing to honor the ESP. The Master Cylinder is one of the parts covered, and any related damage from a covered part failure should also be covered.

Good luck....
Old 10/10/07, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I am at a loss to understand why the dealer you originally took it too refused to honor the ESP.
You've probably never owned a Ford before

Seriously though in the last seventeen years of owning and driving a Ford this is PRECISELY why I did not get an extended warranty.

This is also a HUGE reason why Ford is hurting in the marketplace. Every time... and I mean EVERY time I've EVER taken my car in for warrantly work and this is from coast to coast... I used to live in Florida and now I live in Los Angeles... it is a royal pain in the hiney.

Now if you take your car in and it's NOT under warranty beleive me they'll find all sorts of stuff to fix and have no problem sucking your wallet dry fixing things. They are eager and more than happy to work on your car when it's not warranty work.

Also why I don't take my car to ANY Ford dealership for ANY work because they're all like this (at least in my seventeen year experience... maybe I missed a couple but you get the point).

To the poster who has the ESP and damage that the dealer won't fix.

This is the ONLY way I've ever gotten satisfaction of any kind for warranty work... and I'm not this type of person so it's pretty embarassing to do but.

If you really want them to fix it (any dealer) start screaming on the sales floor. Don't stay in service. Go directly to the sales showroom and ask for a manager at the top of your lungs. Tell every person in there (this is obviously more effective when there are other prospective buyers) not to buy from them because they don't honor their warranty work.

Tell the manager you want to speak to a Ford representative right now... on the phone... right there.

You'll get your work done and won't have to drive two hours.
Old 10/16/07, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was just randomly cleaning under the hood and i decided to look, and there i found some bubbling paint. Also, i then looked down and i saw a big spot of raw metal, where there should have been paint, so i figured it was cause by the break fluid leak. What should i do at this point? I really dont want to let this go any longer. I am under warranty, is this a big job that is needed to be preformed by FORD?
Old 10/16/07, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangPower05
I was just randomly cleaning under the hood and i decided to look, and there i found some bubbling paint. Also, i then looked down and i saw a big spot of raw metal, where there should have been paint, so i figured it was cause by the break fluid leak. What should i do at this point? I really dont want to let this go any longer. I am under warranty, is this a big job that is needed to be preformed by FORD?
Definitely. See my Post #1 (before) and #42 (after). Dealer did an outstanding job repairing... took 3 days. They had to pull just about everything up by the driver's side firewall to repaint/clear coat. All covered under warranty and they even gave me a rental.
Old 10/16/07, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Definitely. See my Post #1 (before) and #42 (after). Dealer did an outstanding job repairing... took 3 days. They had to pull just about everything up by the driver's side firewall to repaint/clear coat. All covered under warranty and they even gave me a rental.

They didnt have to pull your engine did they?? Also, is it a tsb??
Old 10/17/07, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, without having to read through all these layers of posts, I have to ask: does this affect 07s and 08s? I got home last night and looked all around the break fluid reservoir and master cylinder and I can't find a thing. Is it hard to sport on the firewall in some out-of-the-way spot? Ours has 1, 290 miles on her - does that make a difference?
Old 10/17/07, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

After doing the annual detailing of the car, we got pics with the new digital camera that shows the damage. I'll have to download the pics to the PC and upload them here on the site. The paint is not bubbled - but missing altogether and it appears that rust is already starting.

Took it into the seller dealer yesterday. They took pics on their camera phone and e-mailed to Ford. I'm supposed to hear back something today on what they are going to do about it.

Either way it is getting fixed - either they step up to the plate and do the repairs or I initially pay for the repairs then go after them for reimbursement.

Ironically, the car had only been driven once since mid July. The drive (2 hours) yesterday caused the brake fluid to leak again! The fluid was up to the top after the drive and when we removed the cap, their was fluid around the neck of the reservoir.

They had better fix this and fast!
Old 10/19/07, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I still have not heard anything from the Ford Field Rep yet but will keep everyone posted.

In the meantime, I was finally able to download the pics from my digital camera.

Paint missing:

Paint bubbling, missing & rust starting:

Runs shown from brake fluid; Paint missing & rust starting:

If anyone can tell me how to get these pics so you can click on them to enlarge them, please let me know. They are too large on the computer to just do a "file upload". Thanks!

Hope this gets resolved correctly and real soon!!
Old 10/19/07, 02:44 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,340 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=21724

Post 1 is the Complaint Procedure.

Looks Like we have had this Issue for awhile! POST 21

KC
Old 10/19/07, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=21724

Post 1 is the Complaint Procedure.

Looks Like we have had this Issue for awhile! POST 21

KC
"1. Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your
selling/servicing dealership.
2. If your inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager,
Service Manager or Customer Relations Manager.
3. If you require assistance or clarification on Ford Motor Company policies
or procedures, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship
Center."

1 & 2. Service Advisor IS the Service Manager. She is aware of the problem, took pics of it and sent it to Ford to be assigned to the Field Rep.

As of Friday, October 19, 2007 at 4:36 p.m., I STILL have yet to hear from anyone at Ford.

My selling dealer's last day is TODAY. Another Ford dealer purchased the dealership and they take ownership Monday. However, I personally know someone in management at the old dealership that is staying with the new dealership and he now has a copy of all of my pictures and hopefully next week this will be addressed. He will personally check with Ford on a daily basis to see that my problem is addressed quickly before it gets worse.
Old 10/19/07, 05:24 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,340 Posts
[quote=MustangLynda;1020975]
Originally Posted by Mtang78

Well that's pretty depressing. Definitely makes me think twice about getting an ESP.

I hope you get this resolved - it's B.S. This is a KNOWN defect with the 05+ mustangs and so it HAD to have started before 36,000 miles. Who cares about 36,000 miles anyway - the Premium ESP is supposed to cover everything but cosmetic stuff - this is not cosmetic, and it's not rocket science either. It's soon to be structural damage caused by a factory defect.

I hope what you find out is that the dealer you went to are just a**holes and the selling dealer honors the warranty you PAID for. If not I'd raise **** with ford until you get this fixed under warranty.

This really tickes me off. It's one of those instances that makes me ill to think I was ever stupid enough to give ford one penny of my money. Grrr.
General ESP Info!

Actually Ford's Esp is Pretty Good compared to The Aftermarket. Where I have Seen Issues is where A Dealer Sells a ESP Warranty and It is Not Ford's Esp. Most People Simply Assume When they go to a Ford Dealer and Buy ESP it is Ford's . An Esp Is Great for Some Not For Others Depends on How Many Miles you are Driving Etc. Read The Policy Before you Sign up for it and Have a Good Idea How Many Miles you are going to Drive the Car and How Long you are going to keep it. Ideally you want the Miles and Years of the Coverage to end at the Same time. It does no Good to Get a 5yrs 50k Plan And you don't Drive Any Miles. Or Say you Drive a Ton of Miles and Get a 7 year Policy when you run out of Miles in Four. Anyway Just Be aware of What you are Purchasing ahead of time! Btw, Lots of aftermarket Plans Dictate you Pay First then Get reimbursed. Some May even Specify Junk Yard Parts! Oh but that is politically Incorrect. The Insurance Companies call it LKQ Parts. Like Kind Quality. Which means if you have a 05 Model with 50k on er and the Motor expires you get a similar Milage Engine from The Auto recycling Yard. Love those Cleaned Up Terms for Junk yard parts! LOL! I am not Defending FORD's ESP as the end all Get All but in my opinion It has a lot more going for it than others.

KC
Old 10/19/07, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=05stangkc;1028001]
Originally Posted by MustangLynda

General ESP Info!

Actually Ford's Esp is Pretty Good compared to The Aftermarket. Where I have Seen Issues is where A Dealer Sells a ESP Warranty and It is Not Ford's Esp. Most People Simply Assume When they go to a Ford Dealer and Buy ESP it is Ford's . An Esp Is Great for Some Not For Others Depends on How Many Miles you are Driving Etc. Read The Policy Before you Sign up for it and Have a Good Idea How Many Miles you are going to Drive the Car and How Long you are going to keep it. Ideally you want the Miles and Years of the Coverage to end at the Same time. It does no Good to Get a 5yrs 50k Plan And you don't Drive Any Miles. Or Say you Drive a Ton of Miles and Get a 7 year Policy when you run out of Miles in Four. Anyway Just Be aware of What you are Purchasing ahead of time! Btw, Lots of aftermarket Plans Dictate you Pay First then Get reimbursed. Some May even Specify Junk Yard Parts! Oh but that is politically Incorrect. The Insurance Companies call it LKQ Parts. Like Kind Quality. Which means if you have a 05 Model with 50k on er and the Motor expires you get a similar Milage Engine from The Auto recycling Yard. Love those Cleaned Up Terms for Junk yard parts! LOL! I am not Defending FORD's ESP as the end all Get All but in my opinion It has a lot more going for it than others.

KC
The more I thought about it the more I realized my issue is not with the warranty itself, but with the dealers making it so incredibly difficult to get warranty work done. The Ford ESP is a good warranty and I believe well worth the cost, but it's useless if I can't find a dealer that will honor it when I need to use it. Ford needs to change this by way of creating some sort of incentive to their dealers' service departments and the individual mechanics for doing warranty work. Right now, at least in my experience in the last 2-3 years, it's very obvious not only are there no incentives but there must also be some sort of major deterrent to doing warranty work because 9 times out of 10 it is a challenge to even get simple warranty work done. It's to the point that I walk in on the defense and the thought of buying an ESP feels like not just volunterring for more abuse, but paying for more abuse. IMO, the deterrents need to be removed and/or the incentives need to be put in place. It's a major problem for Ford customers, many of which will not be repeat buyers because of it.

Is this also true with other manufacturers, anyone know?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak Damage?