Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake Fluid Leak Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/07, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree, Ford should have a better design and issue a recall. But my car hasn't had any fluid on the outside of the resevoir since I did it. The brakes still work. Just a question and I'm not a mechanic, but why would the brakes fail by just putting an o-ring around the top of the resevoir on the outside so the cap seals against it stopping any fluid from getting out? And I do appreciate any info.
Old 6/30/07, 11:31 AM
whs
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
why would the brakes fail by just putting an o-ring around the top of the resevoir on the outside so the cap seals against it stopping any fluid from getting out? And I do appreciate any info.
They shouldn't if it is just a faulty cap design, but if the leak is caused by excess pressure in the resevoir due to high temperatures causing the brake fluid to boil, you just sealed the system and haven't really fixed the problem. Instead you are just trapping the pressure in the system, then we have to ask ourselves what is the next weakest part in the system? If we are lucky it would just leak out past the seal, but in time it could weaken the plastic resevoir then again it might not. We really don't know for sure what the cause of the problem is and really should leave it to their engineers to fix. I'm not saying that we can't observe, but I would be hesitant modify anything on my own.
Old 6/30/07, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks William for your informative reply. One thing though, I just have my cap snugged against the washer, not real tight. So hopefully if there is excess pressure it will escape there. But hopefully, Ford will do something about this eventually but for now I have no leaks and no brake problems after two years. I appreaciate the info!
Old 6/30/07, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK its been 110 plus here everyday for the past two weeks and I just checked the top of my brake fluid resevoir. It has fluid seeping out of the cap. At least the rubber washer I put around the opening is soaking it up and not allowing it to go down the sides. Now what the heck do I do. Since Ford does not have a fix. It must be heat related. Does anybody really know what is causing this problem we all seem to have? Has any Ford dealer fixed the problem. Does anyone trust their Ford dealer to fix it correctly? It is a long story but the dealer I bought my car from (Sunset Ford in Peoria AZ.) can't be trusted to do an oil change correctly. This needs to be a recall because alot of us have this problem and it relates to the brake system!!
Old 6/30/07, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry for posting again, but I checked the fluid level in my resevoir and it was filled up to the bottom of the cap hole. I had to take out about 1 1/2 ounces of brake fluid to drop the level below the max. Now I have it at a little below the tip of the max triangle. I took off the gasket I had on there cleaned things up and I will see if I get any fluid coming out the top. No paint damage! So Ford overfills the brake fluid just like my dealer overfills the oil everytime I have gotten an oil change there. . I don't have them do that anymore.
Thanks for the tips on the fluid level and lowering it.
Old 7/21/07, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'm back with good news. No leaks since I lowered the fluid level on 6/30. I can't believe that Ford is causing all these problems because they are overfilling the brake fluid at the factory! In the owners manual it states that the proper level is between the max and min arrows. So what does Ford do...fill it up to the top so everybody is having problems.
Well at least it is a simple fix. Thanks all!
Old 7/21/07, 11:45 PM
whs
GT Member

I talked to a guy that worked at the local dealer, he said that he was told that it was the back of the master cylinder leaking and not the cap on these cars. That is what the tech put on my service ticket too, which make me wonder if maybe they are misdiagnosing the problem. I haven't taken it back in yet for the second time.
Old 7/22/07, 09:35 PM
GT Member

Can someone link me to "my inexpensive fix for the brake fluid resevoir leak" ?
Old 7/23/07, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07V6STANG
Can someone link me to "my inexpensive fix for the brake fluid resevoir leak" ?
This is the one:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52987

but I did this one instead since it was even cheaper.. it was free since I already had the plumber's tape. It works.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=11
Old 7/23/07, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by spike
This is the one:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52987

but I did this one instead since it was even cheaper.. it was free since I already had the plumber's tape. It works.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=11
Thanks Spike....I haven't noticed a leak yet, but I want to make sure I book-mark this just in case.
Old 7/23/07, 09:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Break fluid leak fixed

My local dealer, replaced the entire break reservoir, under warranty today..It was determined that, it was the seams between the upper and lower halves of the reservoir housing, in which the fluid was leaking from..So far, I've put 75 miles on the car, since they replaced it. And their have been no further leaks at this point..I'll keep you all updated and let you know, if this new replacement holds up..
Old 7/24/07, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
...it was the seams between the upper and lower halves of the reservoir housing...
Yeah, keep us informed on that b/c I was never really sure. At first I thought the leak was coming from that seam also but the more I checked up on it, the more I was coming to the conclusion that the seam is just a spot where the fluid would collect after it dripped down the side. Then dirt would stick to it giving the appearance that the leak was emanating from there.
Old 7/24/07, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the leak is coming from the seams then why was there brake fluid around the top of the resevoir under the cap on my car. It then flows down the side to the seam where it collects. Ever since lowering the fluid level to the proper level (between the arrows) as it states in my owners manual ...no more leaks. Why don't you try that before you mess with tape or o-rings?
Old 7/25/07, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Humm I had just seen the 05 Gt I had today and had a look under the hood, and seen that it was coming out from the cap and was laying around the3 container ? on my 07 a faint bit now and then but when I was I always tend to wipe around the engine bay. all reservoirs as well so no paint damage as yet.
Old 7/26/07, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have you adjusted the fluid level like stated above?

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Humm I had just seen the 05 Gt I had today and had a look under the hood, and seen that it was coming out from the cap and was laying around the3 container ? on my 07 a faint bit now and then but when I was I always tend to wipe around the engine bay. all reservoirs as well so no paint damage as yet.
Old 7/28/07, 08:51 AM

Bigger than you think.............

My 2006 Mustang have spome pretty extensive brake fluid damage from a leaking reservior/cap. The incompotent dealer had the car for 10 days (for a "2 day fix"), and repaired about 1/2 of the damage. I'd recommend pulling the left fender liner (it's really easy), and you'll likely find a bunch more damage. If you have the dealer repair the area, tell him to full the fender liner too. I decided to fix the rest of the damage myself, figuring I give a darn and will do the job right.

Good Luck!
Jim
Old 7/28/07, 10:31 AM

Some Pics - where to look

OK, I took a few pics of my Mustang's paint damage the dealer didn't bother to fix when he had the car for 10days to "repair" the paint damage from a faulty reservior/cap.

The dealer, in the process of working on my car damaged the reservior and booster, so he replaced them both. Fortunately, the new one appears to be good and I have no leaks now.

If you have the leaking brake fluid problem, pull your fenderwell! I was shocked at how much the dealer decided to not repair! Hope the pics come through...

Jim
Old 7/28/07, 10:45 AM

Pics - opus2

Hope they come through this time...a bit graphically challenged here.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Fluid Leak Damage?-paint-damage1a.jpg   Brake Fluid Leak Damage?-paint-damage2.jpg  
Old 7/28/07, 04:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
If the leak is coming from the seams then why was there brake fluid around the top of the resevoir under the cap on my car. It then flows down the side to the seam where it collects. Ever since lowering the fluid level to the proper level (between the arrows) as it states in my owners manual ...no more leaks. Why don't you try that before you mess with tape or o-rings?
It's very possible, the leak could either be the result of, fluid level being too high, or from the cap, and also from the seams ? However, since the dealership replaced the reservoir ? I still haven't noticed any further leaking.. But I've also noticed, that the cap design is much different from the original reservoir..In which the groove patters, also have 2 small locking tabs on each side, and seem to seal much better..So I'm assuming that, Ford has somehow upgraded the cap design..
Old 7/29/07, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you got that taken care of. But still as a precaution, I would make sure the fluid level is where it should be according to your owners manual. It appears that Ford is overfilling them. The fluid should not be up to the top. And if there is a new cap design that is better, shouldn't Ford issue a recall for all of us to get the new cap?? Of course I do realize that a new cap would not be expensive unless like everything else, you can only get one if you buy a new resevoir. Well for now all I can say is that mine does not leak simply by just lowering the level to the correct point.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak Damage?