Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake Fluid Leak Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Try bleeding your brakes and/or the clutch hydraulic system.
Old 4/19/07, 04:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really not sure what had to be removed for them to get it painted. I did not even think about asking. When I picked it up I popped the hood to make sure I was happy with the job they did and I was.
Old 4/19/07, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Just to add...they did have my car for 2 days so I would assume several components had to be removed for them get it prepped and repainted.
Old 4/20/07, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*** Dealer Update ***

Dealer had to call in Ford warranty rep to see brake fluid paint damage... all agree to repaint engine compartment firewall. They took apart the master cylinder and checked all seals... and claim all seals good... thus concluded leak must have come from defective reservoir cap. I find it hard to believe that much fluid (see pics in Post #1) could have come from a leaking cap and caused so much paint damage. Anyway, they said to bring it back on Tue and leave it 3 days. I also asked how they plan on repainting firewall, and they said last time this happened they had to pull the engine! I said "WTF"? If they have to pull engine, what wear items should be replaced (i.e., motor mounts, etc.) Thx..
Old 4/20/07, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

So annoying... "last time it happened" and they had to call a rep out... ridiculous.

Ford dealers and their wonderful customer service in action!
Old 4/20/07, 07:58 PM

So it's safe to say this is one of those problems that hasn't been addressed by a re-design? It kills me to think that a new car coming down the line has an issue like this.
Old 4/20/07, 08:13 PM
GT Member

I drop mine off Monday.. they are saying 2 days.. if they don't have to remove the engine and up to a week if they do.

I am going to go insane without my car that long.
Old 4/20/07, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

No they haven't done a re-design. Typical unfortunately. There will have to be one of two things happen I think.

1. Enough people take their car's in and make Ford repaint and repair the car enough to warrant a redesign.

or

2. A class-action lawsuit is filed against Ford... same thing happened with the previous Mustang. It had issues with the manifold cracking.

Check this out... I'm sure this is probably going to happen if Ford doesn't act... and I'm sure they won't.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_125229/tm.htm
Old 4/20/07, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's both silly and sad that something as simple and trivial as this is making me start to look elsewhere for a vehicle. Mostly because it's something that should be a simple fix but yet it's been a problem for the generation's entirety and the manufacturer has done nothing. I'd be a first time Ford buyer.

I wish Ford would read these boards. It's like free Beta testing.
Old 4/21/07, 06:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

How much brake fluid was in the reservoir? Check the MAX and MIN marks and make sure the fluid level is at or below the MAX triangle tip.
Old 4/21/07, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
How much brake fluid was in the reservoir? Check the MAX and MIN marks and make sure the fluid level is at or below the MAX triangle tip.
+1 Mine was ABOVE the triangle entirely. I removed some of the fluid and I have had no leaks so far.
Old 4/21/07, 11:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't recall the level of my reservoir when I took delivery of the car, but I do recall it being very high (which explains why it seeped out). Remove enough fluid so it sits at the MAX triangle mark (or below it) and see if it continues to seep out.

I believe the reservoir itself could be re-designed better to prevent fluid from seeping out, but Ford apparently doesn't care. My other reservoirs can be maxed out without any fear of seepage.
Old 4/21/07, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
When I took it in to the dealer back in February, they removed some fluid (stating the factory was overfilling reserviors) down just below the MAX triangle tip. However, since then, more fluid has leaked (as the reservoir had fluid on top and down the sides). After thoroughly checking the master cylinder, they claim leak damage could only have come from cap... so they replaced the cap. If it is a cap design flaw, not sure how this is going to prevent further leaking. Especially concerned as they are going to repaint firewall, and don't want to go through this again.
Old 4/21/07, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

The only thing I have found to do, and it's really ridiculous but it keeps me from having to get my car "fixed" by Ford, is to remove fluid right down to the minimum line and then basically check it each time I drive it.

Every day I drive the car at the end of the day I check and see if there is any leakage.

Most of the time there isn't... but yes occasionally I STILL have some leakage. I suspect it's because for that particular day I hit the brakes harder than the other days.

Anyway... that's the only thing I've found that has prevented it. I'd be glad to join a lawsuit though... for no other reason than to get Ford to fix this issue that they obviously know about.
Old 4/21/07, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
It's both silly and sad that something as simple and trivial as this is making me start to look elsewhere for a vehicle. Mostly because it's something that should be a simple fix but yet it's been a problem for the generation's entirety and the manufacturer has done nothing. I'd be a first time Ford buyer.

I wish Ford would read these boards. It's like free Beta testing.
Randy: I'm sure if you perused other vehicle manufacturers' forums, you'd find similar issues. This is my first Ford... and I just love my 'stang. I've been a Nissan guy for years, and was in the process of closing a deal on a 2006 350z. However, after 4 hrs of negotiating, I decided to leave the table and go home. On my way home I passed a Ford Dealership, so I stopped in. I really liked the looks of new Mustang, and decided to at least test-drive a GT... man, that was it. Even with my brake fluid leak and paint damage, I'll take the bad with the good. Dealership is going to take care of this, so hopefully all turns out well. I posted here to alert other owners to a potential risk and take the opportunity to resolve while still under warranty. BTW, I can't tell you how many looks and compliments I get on my car... that never happened with my Nissans! Pony car rocks.
Old 4/21/07, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes. I've been reading on other car boards and it is true. Everybody's problems show up on the internet. Mostly it is just this issue that so many people have. You'd think Ford could/would fix it.

It looks like it can really come down to the dealer service department and how well they handle a car's shortcomings.

Getting looks isn't much of a selling factor for me. The car I have now gets plenty. But, I have a feeling if I went for a testdrive it would all be over. I've refrained from driving one until I fully make up my mind.

Randy: I'm sure if you perused other vehicle manufacturers' forums, you'd find similar issues. This is my first Ford... and I just love my 'stang. I've been a Nissan guy for years, and was in the process of closing a deal on a 2006 350z. However, after 4 hrs of negotiating, I decided to leave the table and go home. On my way home I passed a Ford Dealership, so I stopped in. I really liked the looks of new Mustang, and decided to at least test-drive a GT... man, that was it. Even with my brake fluid leak and paint damage, I'll take the bad with the good. Dealership is going to take care of this, so hopefully all turns out well. I posted here to alert other owners to a potential risk and take the opportunity to resolve while still under warranty. BTW, I can't tell you how many looks and compliments I get on my car... that never happened with my Nissans! Pony car rocks.
Old 4/21/07, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Mine was filled to the bottem of the neck. Yes they are overfilling at the factory but they should be telling the dealers to remove the exess at prep time.

Both of my Mustangs were over filled and they were bought from different dealers.

I just think it is insane that they are going to have to pay 1k plus to fix this problem each time they have to re-paint.
Old 4/25/07, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Ok.. for any one that may be interested. I got my car back today and it looks good. So far I don't see any problems.

Here is what they had to remove to fix the paint.

Master Cylinder, brake booster, reciever drier, a/c manifold line set, ac line that run behind the engine, driver side wiring harness, break hardlines, evap purge selenoid and attaching lines.
Old 4/25/07, 08:42 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did they replace anything, like the reservoir or cap or just remove some fluid ?
Old 4/25/07, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Before the repaint they did put a new cap on it and removed fluid down to the 'max' line.. If was all the way full to the filler neck initially.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak Damage?