Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 Mustang Automatic gear shifter spring? Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/23, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005-2009 Mustang Automatic gear shifter spring? Discussion

hello. In changing out my gear shift dust cover a friend of mine, who must not have understood the agenda, started messing around with the gear shift assembly - I guess it might be called- and twisted and turned until this spring came out and now I see the two little tabs- in the third pic. and I can't get it on camera, but when I look down the hole where it goes I can see where the two tabs line up and then I would imagine you twist it and it catches at some point but that's not happening. I've inserted it all the way, part of the way, twisted and I can't get it to catch so I hope it didn't get broken. Just looking for any insight as to if this needs to be in a certain gear to connect or what I need to do to get this back intact so I can finish the project. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Meanwhile I have to drive to work tomorrow and I'm going to go on a test drive now 🙏 because it seems to shift into every gear okay, even with the gear shift handle not on. it doesn't seem to completely go into Park so obviously I can't get the key out but I guess I will just use the emergency brake and take my fob off of the key ring and if I can't lock the car, then I can't lock it, but I mean, I got to go to work tomorrow.

Last edited by Sunlvriii; 5/7/23 at 10:55 AM. Reason: First post- Couldn't figure out how to get my narrative in after the pics
Old 5/7/23, 11:18 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,902 Posts
@Sunlvriii

Unless You Can Repair What You Have, There are No Service Parts For That. It Will Require a Complete New Shifter Assembly. I Can Only Assume To Reinsert it the Top Of Rod Is Your Guide. Perhaps Somebody Had This Similar Issue and Can Chime in.

Base Model Black Housing
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...tra2=&filter=()

IUP Shifter ,Can Upgrade if you Have Base Black if You Like!

I Just Remembered There is an Override Slot On Side of Shifter. Look For Oval Pop out Plug on Top. Normally You Would Pop Out and Stick Your Key Etc. in It to get Out Of Gear. Should Allow you to Put in Park! Least You Can Drive Now and Remove Key! Gotta Be That Rectangular White Piece! Try Pressing and Put in Park!

Might See If Rod Can Be Reinserted While Pushing Down Interlock Overide! I think I Got an Old Shifter Somewhere. Just Not Sure Where it Would Be Got 3 Seatrains Full o Stuff. I Could advise Better if I Had One Handy. I Will Poke around a bit and Let You Know if I Find It!

A Little Grease on the Bottom of The Rod Might Be a Good Idea as Well When Attempting to Reinsert. Perhaps Using **** to Guide Rod In and a Light Tap With Your Fist. Be Advised You Could Break it No Matter What You try!

See Page 165-166 on Owners Manual!

Sorry For Your Troubles!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Owners Manual.pdf (2.35 MB, 30 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 5/7/23 at 12:51 PM.
Old 5/10/23, 11:41 AM

Thank you!

Oh my gosh! The override oval - I will try that, thank you so much!
I will try getting the rod to re-catch also in different gears.
I'm planning to stop at a dealership today hopefully to see if the Parts Dept will graciously show me the schematic in case that will show me something. I'll post info here if I get anything good 🙂. Again thanks so much!!
Old 5/10/23, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sunlvriii
Oh my gosh! The override oval - I will try that, thank you so much!
I will try getting the rod to re-catch also in different gears.
I'm planning to stop at a dealership today hopefully to see if the Parts Dept will graciously show me the schematic in case that will show me something. I'll post info here if I get anything good 🙂. Again thanks so much!!
You Are Welcome!

Likely This is about as Good as the Shifter Pic Will get at The Dealership!

This is Typical Parts Pics For the Shifter! BELOW

Sorry Could Not Find My Old Shifter!

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...able-8r3z7210c
Other Pics. Also See Links in First Post For Pics.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 5/10/23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 5/10/23, 02:22 PM

I'm Wondering if That Rod Goes into a Spring Much Like an Ink Pen. Possibly Simulating Threads to an Extent???

KC
Old 5/22/23, 08:10 AM

Spring

Did you end up fixing it? I have the same problem atm and thinking about buying a new shifter, thank you
Old 6/13/23, 04:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
@Sunlvriii

Unless You Can Repair What You Have, There are No Service Parts For That. It Will Require a Complete New Shifter Assembly. I Can Only Assume To Reinsert it the Top Of Rod Is Your Guide. Perhaps Somebody Had This Similar Issue and Can Chime in.

Base Model Black Housing

IUP Shifter ,Can Upgrade if you Have Base Black if You Like!

I Just Remembered There is an Override Slot On Side of Shifter. Look For Oval Pop out Plug on Top. Normally You Would Pop Out and Stick Your Key Etc. in It to get Out Of Gear. Should Allow you to Put in Park! Least You Can Drive Now and Remove Key! Gotta Be That Rectangular White Piece! Try Pressing and Put in Park!

Might See If Rod Can Be Reinserted While Pushing Down Interlock Overide! I think I Got an Old Shifter Somewhere. Just Not Sure Where it Would Be Got 3 Seatrains Full o Stuff. I Could advise Better if I Had One Handy. I Will Poke around a bit and Let You Know if I Find It!

A Little Grease on the Bottom of The Rod Might Be a Good Idea as Well When Attempting to Reinsert. Perhaps Using **** to Guide Rod In and a Light Tap With Your Fist. Be Advised You Could Break it No Matter What You try!

See Page 165-166 on Owners Manual!

Sorry For Your Troubles!

KC

Spoiler

Thank you sir for the links.

BYE BYE SPAMMER!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/18/23 at 09:24 AM.
Old 7/18/23, 09:39 AM

Spammer Post 7

I Give Them New Avatars!

Bye Bye!

KC
Old 1/15/24, 07:20 PM

Same issue.

[QUOTE=Sunlvriii;7074728]

hello. In changing out my gear shift dust cover a friend of mine, who must not have understood the agenda, started messing around with the gear shift assembly - I guess it might be called- and twisted and turned until this spring came out and now I see the two little tabs- in the third pic. and I can't get it on camera, but when I look down the hole where it goes I can see where the two tabs line up and then I would imagine you twist it and it catches at some point but that's not happening. I've inserted it all the way, part of the way, twisted and I can't get it to catch so I hope it didn't get broken. Just looking for any insight as to if this needs to be in a certain gear to connect or what I need to do to get this back intact so I can finish the project. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Meanwhile I have to drive to work tomorrow and I'm going to go on a test drive now 🙏 because it seems to shift into every gear okay, even with the gear shift handle not on. it doesn't seem to completely go into Park so obviously I can't get the key out but I guess I will just use the emergency brake and take my fob off of the key ring and if I can't lock the car, then I can't lock it, but I mean, I got to go to work tomorrow

anyone have suggestions on this I need help as well
Old 1/15/24, 08:59 PM

I Think You are Going To End Up Replacing Shifter.

Here are the Best Buys on Ebay For The Upgrade Shifter!

I Would Go New as These Were Problematic From The Git Go and Ford Changed Part Numbers Numerous Times.

This Is The Latest Part Number and No Real Savings on Getting The Plain Black Shifter!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

But If Somebody Has Repaired One Please Chime In!

KC

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/16/24 at 12:45 AM.