Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Volunteering to clean up

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volunteering to clean up

I am going to help clean up Sunday, May 15. Is anyone interested in helping me? I was thinking about volunteering at Anderson Hills Subdivision. We could park our cars/trucks at Publix and walk to the subdivision.
Old 5/9/11, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, you can't just walk into a cleanup site. You need to list yourself as a volunteer to allow the coordinators to schedule when and where you can help. Please also remember to wear long pants and long shirts, good work gloves, and especially good boots (think nails). Some folks are also wearing masks to keep from breathing the dust, debris, and possible asbestos.

Call 211 (in-state) or visit http://www.ServeAlabama.gov to volunteer.
Old 5/9/11, 09:05 AM
GT Member

I was out at Carters Gin area (just across from Anderson Hills near Sparkman Middle School) for a few days helping - you could go to the Monrovia Community Center for a while and sign up to help - they gave you an armband, but the enforcement was relaxed.

I think now it is more formalized and you have to go to First Baptist Church in Huntsville and fill out the 4 page (FEMA endorsed) application.

BTW my $.02 - I think Anderson Hills is probably good for now - you may be able to go through Monrovia Community Center and go out to Lockhart road or Yarborough Road - they still need lots of help out there.
Old 5/9/11, 09:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Last I heard the MCC wasn't looking for volunteers anymore. They had 3000+ volunteer, but they could be looking again.
Old 5/9/11, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
Last I heard the MCC wasn't looking for volunteers anymore. They had 3000+ volunteer, but they could be looking again.
They are still rolling through MCC (or Phillips Park next door) - I am just not sure if you can still sign up there - my church has been feeding a couple of thousand a people a day for a while there, and while a lot of people are back at work, there are still a lot of people coming through there and getting on a bus to go work - a lot of kids that just got out of college for the semester - we were planning on feeding at Phillips Park (at the ball fields) for at least one more week - maybe two.

I don't think anybody is turning away help right now.
Old 5/9/11, 09:42 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I would help out, but as soon as I got out of school for the summer I was hit with 40 hour weeks. And my days off are never on the weekend.
Old 5/9/11, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I would help out, but as soon as I got out of school for the summer I was hit with 40 hour weeks. And my days off are never on the weekend.
Aw, now, that's kinda lame excuse. I triple-dog dare you to find time. I've been hit with 40+hour work weeks since before you were born!
Old 5/9/11, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the info!
Old 5/9/11, 08:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'll help when able to
Old 5/12/11, 10:44 AM
GT Member

The volunteer registration at First Baptist Church is closing down today - 12 May - future weekend registration is supposed to be handled through United Way - (no comment).

I would suggest trying to contact individuals who need help getting rid of trees, etc. I am indisposed right now.
Old 5/13/11, 07:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Yesterday I was among ~125 volunteers from my company. We went to a couple of places. One place that needs a lot of work is at the Harvest Youth Center at 230 Lockhart. Walk inside the center to sign up and volunteer. There is plenty to do.

Oh, and I still put in 40 hours. :-)

Last edited by Puter; 5/13/11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 5/14/11, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunately, I am not able to help clean up on Sunday. I have been and are currently sick, I highly encourage anyone interested in volunteering to do so. Our neighbors need our help.