Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Need some advice on a couple of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/07, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on a couple of problems...

I got quite a bit of minor things done on the Stang this weekend. Clutch cable rerouted back to stock location, carb back on (still needs a tune), and coil moved to the passenger fender. Now it's on to the next things on the agenda. Neither of which I know how to do.

First, my passenger motor mount is SHOT. I need to replace it but I don't have an engine hoist. Is there a safe way to jack up the car to swap it out? Will I have to unbolt the driverside mount to lift high enough for the passenger? I have no clue how to do it,but have heard a few times that it was a pain in the rear to swap out. Driverside is new.

Also, I've got a ticking noise coming from the engine. I was told to pull the intake and check my lifters. Anyone know how to tell if a lifter is bad? I've honestly never seen a lifter outside of a magazine, so this would be a first for me.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!
Old 8/27/07, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Fox, right?

1) Go ahead and loosen both motor mounts. I actually did this when I had a freeze plug blow. I jacked on the bellhousing being very careful on how it "felt". When I started getting resistance, I stopped.

2) Well, a ticking noise can be a lot of things. A loose rocker, an exhaust leak, etc. There is a book "Hwo to Rebuild Small Block Fords" by Tom Monroe that is excellent. In the front section, it tells about troubleshooting for various sounds. It is how I found out I had a rod/piston issue on an old block.

I take it these are hydraulic lifters, not solid? Are they roller?
Old 8/27/07, 08:15 PM

It's whatever would come stock in this motor. I don't know much of anything about them honestly. If you ever get bored, I'd be more than happy to let you see it if that helps.
Old 8/27/07, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I have done it as described above, just be very cautious. I jacked mine a little too far and it was a pain to get the pass side bolt back in its hole.
Old 8/27/07, 09:10 PM

My biggest concern was breaking the bellhousing. Is this an easy one man job? I need to do it soon because as of right now it has a nasty vibration.
Old 8/27/07, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, it was easy for me to do by myself.
If you feel it may be a little tough, bring it over. When I jacked mine on the 84, I replaced both at the same time.
I'm willing to lend whatever ear/knowledge I have.
I got a shaded garage.
*grins*
Old 8/27/07, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 98Stanger
My biggest concern was breaking the bellhousing. Is this an easy one man job? I need to do it soon because as of right now it has a nasty vibration.
Always have someone else around when working on a car on jacks or ramps. Had a friend broke his arm when his car fell on him .
Old 8/27/07, 09:27 PM

Well, most times my "friends" are suddenly unavailable if I ask for help. Now if the shoe is on the other foot, then it's almost my civic duty in their eyes to come and help.

I'll locate someone when the time comes for sure. Now, since I have the jist of the motor mount, what can you guys tell me about lifters and the likes? If you don't mind, school me on the differences in rollers, hydraulics, and etc... I am completely dumb when it comes to all of that.

Thanks Puter! I too have a 2 car A/C'ed garage on hand. A/c isnt the best, but its easily 15 degrees cooler than outside. I also normally keep plenty of cold beverages on hand for any helpfuls who swing my way. A few hrs notice can result in plenty of sweet tea, lemonade, or more adult beverages if that is the liking. Sometimes it even includes a nice steak when my wife is as thankful as I am.
Old 8/27/07, 09:30 PM

I need to start coming over when you guys are working on your cars just to learn more about these cars. I know just enough to be dangerous.] unfortunately.