2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

08 Bullitt, or wait for 09 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/08, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Bullitt, or wait for 09 GT?

I'm having second thoughts about purchasing a Bullitt now. First of all, its alot of money. Secondly, in 6 months or less i imagine we will be able to order up the 2009 Mustang. Which might have a bigger engine, will probably have Sync 2.0 and Second Gen Nav, and may or may not look better depending on what they do with the styling. The Bullitt is a special edition, and i would not rather have any other color or special edition Mustang, but what if they release another special edition bullitt at the end of the '09 body style, i'll be kicking myself in the pants for buying this one. Or what if they release a 5.0 350-400HP Boss or mach one in the same price range, again, kicking myself in the pants.

Where as the 08 Mustang is still a 2005 model with some enhancements, not available with sync, and still has the old navigation system. I'm sure this question goes through alot of new car buyers minds, especially those who buy the vehicle at the end of its run like the 2008 Mustang is.

What is your opinion?
Old 1/7/08, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just my opinion, but it seems to me you've already made your decision - not that your reasons aren't valid, but you didn't really mention one reason that you SHOULD get one now. You're right...it's a lot of money and we're getting closer to seeing some real changes in the current Stang.

While you phrased the thread in the form of a question, I don't think anyone here could say anything that you don't already know that would convince you to go for it.

Not only that, but you've got a pretty nice car right now, eh?
Old 1/7/08, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A wise man once said...
Never buy a first year model vehicle if you require reliability.
You always get better reliability from a model that's been tweaked over the years (all the kinks worked out) and you'll get better bang for your buck as the last model year in a run usually includes many options the first model year buyers had to pay for.
Good luck with your decision, as for me I waited till the 08's came out before I pulled the trigger, looked into getting one in 05, but waited and was happy to get the GT/CS vert option, if I waited longer I would have gotten the bullit!
LJS
Old 1/7/08, 09:55 AM

The newest ones always have the latest gadgets, like a computer or TV. If you stress over it too much you'll never be happy.

In regards to the Bullitt, I don't think another Bullitt will be made anytime soon. They made one this year because of the 40th Anniversary of the movie.
Old 1/7/08, 10:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Personally I think the Bullitt is a pretty good value for the price and for what you get.
Will there be a Mach 1 or Boss in 09? I think there will be. Will it be 350+hp?- a good chance of that. But the cost is going to be more than the cost of the Bullitt.

I doubt you'll see much styling changes for 09.
Ford will wait to see till the Challenger and Camaro hit the market.

I honestly feel that the horsepower war is coming to an end. Gas will continue to rise in price, car makers will come under even more heat to offer "green" cars. History is going to repeat itself.
So holding out for that high HP beast might backfire.

It doesn't seem like you like the Bullitt enough to be buying one- so I would advise you wait till 09.
Old 1/7/08, 10:20 AM
GT Member

I would say get the Bullitt now and and if you like the new model in 2010 you could always get a 2nd or 3rd year car in that model.

Rob
Old 1/7/08, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
It doesn't seem like you like the Bullitt enough to be buying one- so I would advise you wait till 09.
Oh, believe me i do. I just am worried about getting screwed 6 months later.
Old 1/7/08, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Personally I think the Bullitt is a pretty good value for the price and for what you get.
+1

Will there be a Mach 1 or Boss in 09? I think there will be. Will it be 350+hp?- a good chance of that. But the cost is going to be more than the cost of the Bullitt.
+1

I doubt you'll see much styling changes for 09.
Ford will wait to see till the Challenger and Camaro hit the market.
+1 ... the style update is coming for 2010.

I honestly feel that the horsepower war is coming to an end. Gas will continue to rise in price, car makers will come under even more heat to offer "green" cars. History is going to repeat itself.
-1 ... cars are already out in Europe that have 300 hp & 430 lbs/ft that get 25-35mpg. They don't accel. quite as well just yet, but when all this new tech starts to hit in the form of miniature electric motors for speeds under 25mph and dual hybrid bitrubo diesel engines that can torque spank a gas engine... performance will keep going up while gas usage drops through the floor.

Will cars get more expensive as a result of it? Yeah. Will they be slower than they are today? Nuh-uh. Every auto maker remembers the 70s and none wants to be there again.

+1 ... although if you wait until the end of Bullitt production you may be able to get a great deal on one. I doubt they'll bring the Bullitt back until the 50th anniversary of the movie.

And if you never buy, the products keep getting better and better and you'll never buy. It's much easier to be sure of yourself and buy and at least enjoy what you have, than to worry over what you may or may not have.
Old 1/7/08, 11:33 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Airwolf
... Or what if they release a 5.0 350-400HP Boss or mach one in the same price range...
It won't happen. Considerable upgrades will warrant considerable price increases. A Boss or Mach 1 will command a higher MSRP.
Old 1/7/08, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Oh, believe me i do. I just am worried about getting screwed 6 months later.
This is really the whole nature of the car business. They want you to buy today and then trade it in a year or 2 later when a more exciting model is rolled out.
My Bullitt should be arriving this week and I'm very excited about it. However if a Boss or Mach 1 model shows up next year and really excites me- well maybe I'll have to trade the Bullitt in.
All I know for sure is- at this point in time the Bullitt is the ultimate mustang.
Old 1/7/08, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

If you're waiting for the next best thing, you may never actually pull the trigger and make a purchase on any model, as there will always be one more exciting and more powerful (at least until CAFE steps in to spoil the party-and that's coming). You need to ask yourself why you wanted the Bullitt in the first place and make sure that reason is still there. If it's not powerful enough, then perhaps you should wait for a Mach 1/Boss. Just like what was done in 2001, the Bullitt was eclipsed by a Mach 1 in 2003, and Ford will be doing the same thing again. But if you think the 2008 Bullitt is pricy, just wait until the new SE's come out after the Bullitt. They will make the Bullitt seem fairly cheap. Today's high price is tomorrow's bargain................
Old 1/7/08, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
It won't happen. Considerable upgrades will warrant considerable price increases. A Boss or Mach 1 will command a higher MSRP.
Most definitely.

Everyone will whine and whinge about it too.
Old 1/7/08, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just buy that black Foose!
Old 1/7/08, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm having second thoughts about purchasing a Bullitt now. First of all, its alot of money. Secondly, in 6 months or less i imagine we will be able to order up the 2009 Mustang. Which might have a bigger engine, will probably have Sync 2.0 and Second Gen Nav, and may or may not look better depending on what they do with the styling.
I assume you are talking about an '09 Mustang GT. Given you want to add Sync and a navigation system, the total of those 2 options at current prices adds up to about $2400. That's $700 shy of the Bullitt option. Depending on how you want to spec things out, the price might be comparable.

The Bullitt is a special edition, and i would not rather have any other color or special edition Mustang, but what if they release another special edition bullitt at the end of the '09 body style, i'll be kicking myself in the pants for buying this one. Or what if they release a 5.0 350-400HP Boss or mach one in the same price range, again, kicking myself in the pants.
I don't see another Bullitt. I do maybe see another special edition with higher horsepower than a GT, assuming the GT's output goes up. As mentioned by others here, that will drive the price up. I envision a MSRP of at least the same as the current Bullitt, but probably more.

Where as the 08 Mustang is still a 2005 model with some enhancements, not available with sync, and still has the old navigation system. I'm sure this question goes through alot of new car buyers minds, especially those who buy the vehicle at the end of its run like the 2008 Mustang is.

What is your opinion?
Wait at least 12 months until it becomes clear unless you really desire the Bullitt.
Old 1/8/08, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The restyle isn't coming for the 2009 MY, but the 2010 MY. I would stick with the Bullitt if it were me. Had my car not had all the mods it does, I would have ordered one ASAP and traded it in.
Old 1/8/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I assume you are talking about an '09 Mustang GT. Given you want to add Sync and a navigation system, the total of those 2 options at current prices adds up to about $2400. That's $700 shy of the Bullitt option. Depending on how you want to spec things out, the price might be comparable.
Let's not forget the SE markup. I was at the dealership this morning and saw a new DHG Bullitt. Along with an MSRP of 32k, it has another 5k of an option called "market demand increase". Making it 37k.

On top of that, they had an SGT with a 10k markup, sitting next to a GT500 that has a 20k markup.

If you're waiting for the next Mach or Boss, you can figure anywhere from a 5-20k cost increase, depending upon the model.
Old 1/8/08, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Let's not forget the SE markup. I was at the dealership this morning and saw a new DHG Bullitt. Along with an MSRP of 32k, it has another 5k of an option called "market demand increase". Making it 37k.

On top of that, they had an SGT with a 10k markup, sitting next to a GT500 that has a 20k markup.

If you're waiting for the next Mach or Boss, you can figure anywhere from a 5-20k cost increase, depending upon the model.
Sounds like that dealer is collecting cars, not selling them - they certainly won't sell at a markup like that.

There are plenty of dealers that aren't charging markups on the SGTs or Bullitts anymore. Mostly because they aren't selling with the markups. The Bullitts, with an exception or two last month, have been going for right around MSRP on Ebay.

I've also heard a number of reports that the GT500s are starting to be had for close to MSRP. If the car sales business is as ruthless as some of the representatives here make it to be, you'd think the time value of money on cars sold, especially with these interest rates, would be worth something....
Old 1/8/08, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WaltM

There is no across the board 'SE markup'!
You found a dealer trying to get more, but it's not hard to find a Bullitt at MSRP or below.
Old 1/8/08, 01:52 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"The chances of seeing a 5.0L 4v in a 2009 Mustang"
/shakes magic 8 ball/

"No ****ing way"

Not to say you couldn't see a mach1/boss SE...
but I highly doubt the 5.0 will be ready for then.
5.4 maybe... but it'll command a price over a Mustang GT

You can't go wrong with a Bullitt...

You keep waiting, and you'll always be waiting.
Old 1/8/08, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

People in the know are already saying the 5.4 is being retired in the next year or so. Of course Ford would then need a replacement big-displacement engine though for it's trucks, right? And they'd be foolish not to think of cross utilization with the S197 platform, right?

Quick Reply: 08 Bullitt, or wait for 09 GT?